Posted 9 February 2019 - 22:41

Is there a way to install the NTSC system on enigma2 openpli

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:17

What do you mean with "the NTSC system"?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #3 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:55

Hi,

old American TV system (Never The Same Color) in Europe we used PAL. I think in the HDMI era it is not needed anymore. I think it was analogue only.

ciao

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:20

I know what NTSC is, I just don't see the link between that and OpenPLi (as indeed it is an analogue standard).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #5 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 10 February 2019 - 19:53

Hi,

some old boxes have analogue output.

ciao

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #6 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 February 2019 - 19:49

Even then, as you already suggested, it does not necessarily mean that your receiver outputs "NTSC" (or PAL or SECAM for that matter). Only if the receiver outputs composite video (aka CVBS or FBAS) it will have a colour coded carrier in the signal. Most people that still connect analog, will use a SCART cable and that supports RGB component signal which has no colour modulation carrier. Composite video is horrible bad quality, so one really doesn't want to use it.

Most people that use "NTSC" or "PAL" actually mean either 60 fps media (actually 24000/1001, 30000/1001 or 60000/1001 if you're strict) or they mean a resolution of 720x480. Both of which have no meaning in digital broadcasting (DVB) because it can use any resolution within certain limits and mostly both "American" and "European" refresh rates.

So I am very curious as to what the TS really wants to know.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #7 MastaG

• 1,531 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:19

A little offtopic I guess, but I always wondered why composite was so popular back in the days for many devices that featured a scart port?

Call me stupid, but I've always had a shitload of those scart-plugs with red/white (audio) and yellow (composite) tulp-plugs.. which indeed looks like shit.

When many of those devices were also capable of doing RGB over component when using either a scart to scart or a scart to component cable (3 tulp-plugs for video and 2 tups or a headphone jack for audio)... which looks a LOT better.

Even those old enigma1 dreambox receivers would feature the yellow/red/white composite cable instead of true component or scart cable :/

Also I know so many people who used to watch TV using composite while their device also supported RGB/component :P

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #8 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 13 February 2019 - 18:55

Here in Spain, back in mid 2000's, when DVB-T signals started to appear, they were sold so many cheap DVB-T receivers, which I can certify that you got better picture using CVBS than RGB.

Besides, some old CRT TV , had also problems using RGB inputs..... and there were cheap SCART cables which had not full 21 pin connections.

If you had set video output to RGB, picture was blur, dark, and sometimes it made dissapear OSD  (volume, channel, TXT…) from TVs.

I never had these problems, but I saw a lot of them on Friends & family.

Edited by jpuigs, 13 February 2019 - 18:57.

Enigma is getting old....

Spoiler

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #9 Rick Hunter

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,048 posts

+56
Good

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:01

My father in law has a spare tv with has the size of a fridge.. :-) ( old school tv... )
With RGB the picture quality is indeed worse than cvbs.

Edited by Rick Hunter, 15 February 2019 - 11:01.

Plinux member We have a.. (ehmm.. morgage) house.

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #10 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:19

A little offtopic I guess, but I always wondered why composite was so popular back in the days for many devices that featured a scart port?

Call me stupid, but I've always had a shitload of those scart-plugs with red/white (audio) and yellow (composite) tulp-plugs.. which indeed looks like shit.

When many of those devices were also capable of doing RGB over component when using either a scart to scart or a scart to component cable (3 tulp-plugs for video and 2 tups or a headphone jack for audio)... which looks a LOT better.

Even those old enigma1 dreambox receivers would feature the yellow/red/white composite cable instead of true component or scart cable :/

Also I know so many people who used to watch TV using composite while their device also supported RGB/component :P

I have a hunch why that is. VCR's internally (on the tape) use a representation that is based on composite video, but slightly (even more) bandwidth limited. They do not use a component representation internally nowhere. So they output composite video and not component. I've heard rumours that some very high end vcr's were able to output component video on the scart plug, but I've never seen them myself. It wouldn't help anyway. I've had SVHS and that's a lot better in quality but still only improved composite video.

In those times composite video SCART cables were less expensive than "fully wired" cables, so I guess many of those where re-used for the digital receivers. And yes it's almost impossible to believe, but there are really LOTS of people that really don't care.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #11 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:22

My father in law has a spare tv with has the size of a fridge.. :-) ( old school tv... )
With RGB the picture quality is indeed worse than cvbs.

Oh dear. I would never accept that. In 1995 I bought my first, very simple, TV. I had (obligatory from me) a SCART plug that could handle component video, I connected my computer, which also could provide component video and the picture was as good as it could be for a CRT TV, just the dot pitch which was enormous, so low resolution. But even then better than using composite or RF.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 15 February 2019 - 11:22.

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #12 s3n0

• 640 posts

+62
Good

Posted 15 February 2019 - 14:02

Is there a way to install the NTSC system on enigma2 openpli

This depends purely on the type of device. So it depends on the hardware of the set top box. Enigma2 / OpenPLi has nothing to do with it. The set top box must include the appropriate output signal modulator especially for NTSC or PAL.

Many set top boxes have S-Video output or SCART output or CINCH / RCA output (S-Video + L/R audio or Y+B+R), for example for new Formuler models due to compatibility for older TVs. The output can be converted to another signal with different converters.

Since your query does not apply to Enigma 2 / OpenPLi, you have to write what you own exactly the set top box - brand and model. The guys then sort the options on your device (purchased external converter, custom made signal reduction, and so on).

Edited by s3n0, 15 February 2019 - 14:03.

Re: NTSC on enigma2 #13 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:06

As said, most people that mention NTSC or PAL actually mean a resolution or a refresh rate, not the colour modulation standard.

But we will never know, TS seems to have gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users