Photo

Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #21 timkvist

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:54

The file smb-user.conf  is situated at root/etc/samba/ folder. Open it in any text editor and the line:

strict locking = no

in the [global] section. Save the changes. Type the command  "/etc/init.d/samba.sh restart" in telnet to reboot the samba. Or reboot the receiver.

Do you mean write like this

#
# Add your user additions to the global section here

# uncomment this line to disallow unsecure access
# include = /etc/samba/smb-secure.conf

[global]

strict locking = no 

Edited by timkvist, 16 February 2019 - 11:55.

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #22 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:02

The files you are sharing, are they on a storage device local to your receiver (harddisk or USB device)? Or are they on a remove device (like an NFS mount to a NAS for example).

Still trying to understand what the exact problem is, and how (and if) we need to do something about it.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #23 timkvist

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:06

The files you are sharing, are they on a storage device local to your receiver (harddisk or USB device)? Or are they on a remove device (like an NFS mount to a NAS for example).

Still trying to understand what the exact problem is, and how (and if) we need to do something about it.

The files i share is from a portal harddisk connect to my VU+4k box .

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #24 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:07

Ok. So it is not related to resharing (samba strict locks don't work if you try to reshare).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #25 timkvist

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:12

Ok. So it is not related to resharing (samba strict locks don't work if you try to reshare).

But why is working in 6.2? 

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #26 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,332 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:21

@WanWizard I read about this problem in the Russian forum, so I will try to explain the problem as I understand it.
He share files from hdd connected to the receiver.
His popcorn hour medaplayer sees these files. When he tries to play them, they are not playing normally, but always buffering as if the speed of the network is too low to play these files.

However, I am not sure that this is exactly the samba problem.
Probably the problem is somewhere else on openpli-7.

Edited by Taapat, 16 February 2019 - 12:22.

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #27 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:25

@Taapat, I get what the problem is, but I want to know the why. ;) Locking can never be an issue unless the file is opened multiple times by different processes.

We don't set "strict locking" in the config, and we didn't do that in 6.2, so if this is really the cause, it can only be because the default changed in Samba. But I can't find any evidence for that.

The other lock related settings:

oplocks = yes
  kernel oplocks = yes

were already set like this in 6.2.

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #28 timkvist

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:30

@Taapat, I get what the problem is, but I want to know the why. ;) Locking can never be an issue unless the file is opened multiple times by different processes.

We don't set "strict locking" in the config, and we didn't do that in 6.2, so if this is really the cause, it can only be because the default changed in Samba. But I can't find any evidence for that.

The other lock related settings:

oplocks = yes
  kernel oplocks = yes

were already set like this in 6.2.

I can see the version of Samba is changed in 7.0 

Could it be that ?

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #29 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:32

Yes, that's what I meant with "a default changed". But I've went through the samba release notes and I can find no mention of it.

The samba manual (which is horribly out of date) mentions:

By default, Samba only makes locking calls when explicitly asked to by a client, but if you set strict locking = yes, it will make lock checking calls on every read and write call.

so it should be "no" by default...

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #30 alex46978

• 23 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:34

External HDD is connected to my STB. And i think it's samba problem because "strict locking = no" in the [global] section of smb-user.conf solve that problem.

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #31 timkvist

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:39

External HDD is connected to my STB. And i think it's samba problem because "strict locking = no" in the [global] section of smb-user.conf solve that problem.

So you mean i can play my files if i add this link ? 

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #32 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:39

Nobody is saying it isn't.

I just want to understand the problem, and why we now have this problem, before changing anything that might impact a lot of users.

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #33 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:40

You mean edit smb-user.conf? And restart the box after that? That is what is suggested here, yes.

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #34 timkvist

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:43

You mean edit smb-user.conf? And restart the box after that? That is what is suggested here, yes.

And i hope i can see the files play,  is that this way i have to edit it?  

#
# Add your user additions to the global section here

# uncomment this line to disallow unsecure access
# include = /etc/samba/smb-secure.conf

[global]

strict locking = no 

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #35 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:44

without the empty lines, yes:

[global]
strict locking = no 

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #36 timkvist

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:46

without the empty lines, yes:

[global]
strict locking = no 

I try it and get back 

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #37 timkvist

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:52

Wooo is working now  :D  :D  :D

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #38 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:58

Thanks for the confirmation; will be added to the config in the next build: https://github.com/O...c64b9df49b28cfa

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #39 tomseek

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 March 2019 - 19:09

Hi to all

How to create a new user

this is not working for me:

root@vusolo2:~# smbpasswd -a vusolo2
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to add entry for user vusolo2.
root@vusolo2:~#

Thanks

Re: Configuring samba server on openpli 7.0 #40 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 4 March 2019 - 19:58

With OpenPLi 7.0+, you don't need to use smbpasswd anymore, you can just use passwd to change the password, it will by synced with the samba credentials database.

And if no linux user with that name exists, smbpasswd will fail, so that might be the issue as well. The -a option creates an SMB password for a linux user, but it doesn't create the linux user. Use "adduser" or "useradd" instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users