• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #81 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2019 - 15:05

Enigma has native support for the LCD's of these boxes, and I am willing to bet that the majority of the owners of these boxes have no clue what lcd4linux is and does. That is limited to the few "geeks" that roam these forums, and that want the full xmas tree on the display, just because they can. Those people are smart enough to install lcd4linux from the feed.

That is very well possible, but some of us (me...) use it to make a really simple and well layed out display.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #82 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2019 - 17:21

You are in the "smart enough" category. ;)

I'll try to find time to get my Duo2 hooked up, and see what it's LCD status is.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #83 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2019 - 18:37

Hi,

I am a new owner of a VU+ Duo 4K and I have the feeling that there is a delay between the RCU action and the real action on the box, giving the feeling that the box is "slower" than for exemple my VU+ Solo 4K. If I am in menu and press the down arrow between the different options, I have the feeling that there is always a delay, that the box doesn't react immediately.

This can also explain the slow zap feeling, I think that it came from the RCU delay.

Anybody else with the same feeling?

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #84 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2019 - 19:07

I can't say I have noticed that. Have you removed or at least disabled lcd4linux?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #85 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2019 - 21:51

You've got it, I remove LCD4linux reboot the box and now the Duo4K is very responsive to the RCU command. No more 'lag' when using menu.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #86 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:52

Zapping takes 4-5 seconds here, with lcd4linux enabled. Is it less with lcd4linux disabled? RC is quite responsive, no problem there. I still think there's some xmas tree option default enabled that slows down the tuning and other stuff.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #87 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:44

LCD4Linux was installed but theoretically not used since I saw absolutely no LCD difference with or without it.

Zapping between FTA channels is less than 1 seconds on my Duo 4K (MIS channels), on scrambled channels using OScam it takes less than 2 seconds.

So I don't experience slow zap with LCD4Linux removed.

My only "major" problem so far with the Duo4K is the HDMI-CEC not working, no switch to the right HDMI entry.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #88 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:07

The default config of lcd4linux is set to "pearl LCD", so, indeed you won't see it. But it will still run, apparently.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #89 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:20

I just tried it, disabling lcd4linux. Zapping is faster, be only ever so slighly. Maybe it's because I've turned all xmas stuff off. It's an interesting point though.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #90 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:12

Zapping takes 4-5 seconds here, with lcd4linux enabled. Is it less with lcd4linux disabled? RC is quite responsive, no problem there. I still think there's some xmas tree option default enabled that slows down the tuning and other stuff.

No, without lcd4linux, even with lcd4linux installed but disabled, it is faster. So even if (I know your case) lcd4linux is configured properly, you notice a lag in zapping.

And no, by default it is installed, enabled, and configured for the pearl display (which does nothing on a Duo 4K). So it is probably the fact that lcd4linux is active and does something that is blocking?

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #91 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 14:12

Maybe it tries to send data to the Pearl device that's not there That would be ugly.

I think we should try this on other receivers and send a report to the maintainer.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #92 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 16:19

Quite possible. The problem is gone when you disable lcd4linux, uninstall isn't needed.

Fact remains that you also notice a (slight) delay when lcd4linux is active, and I assume you have a correct and tuned config. ;)

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #93 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2019 - 19:01

I guess we should ask the author. He has a topic on world-of-dreambox. I'll check one of these days.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #94 joergm6

• 31 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 May 2019 - 23:12

lcd4linux certainly has no influence on the tuning. It seems that tuning is now time-critical and no other CPU activities are allowed. L4L uses the CPU for the creation. The problem didn't exist in the past.
L4L can be delayed in its work. Attempts by users have determined here approx. 700ms. "Global" - "other" - "Display Delay [ms]"

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #95 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:03

Odd that it only happens on the Duo 4K, which has a fast CPU, with an Lcd4Linux without any configuration done?

I don't expect its drivers to be much different from the likes of the Ultimo 4K and Solo 4K.

It may very well be this delay works around some other problem. For example, when Lcd4Linux is installed, it is enabled. But without any configuration, configured for a non-existent display. Could it be that I/O to that non-existent display causes the delay, and that 700ms just lifts the delay to after the zap? I understand from Erik (who actively uses Lcd4Linux and has his own config) that he hardly notices any delay.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #96 joergm6

• 31 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:41

Yes, that's the delay after a tap. Zap within the time restart the timer. Only when the time has expired does L4L begin to create the display.

If L4L is activated but nothing is configured, a black image is created anyway. This will take almost no time.

I also think that some I/O is time-critical and other I/O are not so great at the zap time. (File-I/O to /tmp)

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #97 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:50

If L4L is activated but nothing is configured, a black image is created anyway. This will take almost no time.

That is what I thought.

But fact is that in this state (L4L enabled, but with a default config), the zap delay is very noticable, which contradicts with "almost no time". And simply changing it to disabled fixes the zap delay, L4L doesn't have to be deinstalled.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #98 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 22 May 2019 - 19:54

I think you are not addressing the same phenomenom. I think joergm6 refers to the time/delay it takes for the display to update. Wanwizard refers to the time/delay after a zap, before the tuner locks and we see a live picture. The display is not involved there. I think it's very surprising and I cannot explain it. I see this phenomenon, with a sort of properly configured lcd4linux, though very slightly. But other users, that don't have lcd4linux configured properly, are seeing larger delays, up two two seconds. Our workaround for the moment is not install lcd4linux by default, so it won't get started without a proper configuration. It remains a strange thing though.

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #99 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 29 May 2019 - 20:29

I can't comment on what joergm6 refers to. ;) You are correct in what I refer to...

Re: Slow zap on Vu+ Duo 4K #100 mrvica

• 1,224 posts

+81
Good

Posted 29 May 2019 - 21:40

older versions of lcd4linux make no problems at all, I have here 4.1r2, OK, I don´t know exactly which version upwards is causing the problem so we could just compare the code and find the "wrongdoer"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users