Photo

Streaming issue

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CopyCounsler

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:30

I've been experimenting with the streaming for quite some time now without any success to speak of.

I have a DM500 - na for fyi.

In VLC I have a hard time getting a picture when I connect direct to the dm on port 31344. I will get a frame or two, followed by some clips of audio but no continual feed.

This morning when I opened it up, the VLC player was streaming at full speed (Read @ media 810kb/s, demux 720kb/s stream bitrate 62kb/s, displayed frames 15,000) but the screen is BLACK. So it seems that when there is a picture to send, the streaming spits out video/audio very slowly.

ANY ideas?

Thanks!

Copy

Re: Streaming issue #2 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 July 2008 - 15:48

What Pli software are you using?
Is it the same when you use Web-X-TV (the other way around from what you said)
Is it the same when you use the new E1moviePlayer if you are using Jade?
What OS is your VLC running on? What sort of cpu does that box have?

Re: Streaming issue #3 CopyCounsler

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 July 2008 - 17:07

What Pli software are you using?
Is it the same when you use Web-X-TV (the other way around from what you said)
Is it the same when you use the new E1moviePlayer if you are using Jade?
What OS is your VLC running on? What sort of cpu does that box have?

Pli software: the new Jade

The Web-X-TV acts the same in the browser as the VLC - vlc will just show me the stream kb/s, messages, etc.
when I say the same, I mean that I'll get a spurt of audio, mixed with maybe a frame or two, then after 30 seconds, maybe another spurt of the same.

I don't use the moviePlayer - but I'll try it (I'm looking to stream from the DB, not to)

OS - XP. the CPU is an AMD x2 4400. (dual 2.2ghz)

Network - 100base on wireless (took it off wireless for testing...) now it's on the trusty 100base netgear hub direct.

Copy

Re: Streaming issue #4 CopyCounsler

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 July 2008 - 17:09

almost forgot, the network will max throughput at about 2.5mb/s on the wireless and around 7mb/s direct when I talk to the DB or XBOXs through ftp...

Copy

Re: Streaming issue #5 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:26

almost forgot, the network will max throughput at about 2.5mb/s on the wireless and around 7mb/s direct when I talk to the DB or XBOXs through ftp...

Copy

This really looks like a LAN/PC based issue (Unless you have a problem with your DM box's ethernet), but to confirm can you please look at the VLC info as shown below in one of my wifi streams to confirm please.

Attached Files

Re: Streaming issue #6 CopyCounsler

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 July 2008 - 13:30

Wow - the numbers *NEVER* get that high on my VLC...

what now?

Copy

Re: Streaming issue #7 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 July 2008 - 23:28

Wow - the numbers *NEVER* get that high on my VLC...

what now?

Copy

Now all you have to do is work out why, and I suspect your problems will be solved.

Re: Streaming issue #8 CopyCounsler

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 July 2008 - 23:52

could it be because of the cam I use? My network throughput is great from xbox to xbox or from pc to pc - even wireless. I'm getting maximum performance as far as I can see.

Anything you can think of that I can run on the db to troubleshoot?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Copy

Re: Streaming issue #9 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 July 2008 - 00:51

You could try ftp'ing to and from it and see the throughput. Some of the older DM500's and some of the clones have an ethernet issue "might have a dm500 with broken network interface for which the capacitor mod would work" so try google and see if that helps :)

Re: Streaming issue #10 CopyCounsler

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:52

got 1.3mb/s on a transfer each time with FTP so it is off to the electronics store for some caps!

Thanks for the direction, I'll report my results. I have an older DB - streaming became an idea for remote viewing on an xbox and an unsuccessful one at that so far...
Copy

Re: Streaming issue #11 CopyCounsler

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 July 2008 - 21:52

... "might have a dm500 with broken network interface for which the capacitor mod would work" so try google and see if that helps :)

I did the capacitor mod and....

IT WORKS!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the direction. Now I need to find a good epg program for the xbox...

THanks again!

Copy

Re: Streaming issue #12 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:50

... "might have a dm500 with broken network interface for which the capacitor mod would work" so try google and see if that helps :)

I did the capacitor mod and....

IT WORKS!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the direction. Now I need to find a good epg program for the xbox...

THanks again!

Copy

Glad to see that worked. If you like feel free to write a mini howto and I will pop it in the wiki if you like.

On the Xbox front, use the DM boxes webif for the EPG :)

Re: Streaming issue #13 updatelee

• 631 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 August 2008 - 22:05

you can get 7mb/sec on a 500 ? sure you dont mean 7 megabit/sec ? lol I have a hard time getting anything over 1mb/sec on a 500, the network performance is terrible compared to my 7000 & 7025

Re: Streaming issue #14 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 5 August 2008 - 22:14

Raw performance without doing anything else is 4,5 MByte/sec. Maximum streaming bandwidth (dream to pc) is ~2 MByte/sec with zapstream. Enough for some HD channels.

When 1 mbit/sec is all you get, you'll probably need some extra capacitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users