46 replies to this topic

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #21 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2019 - 14:56

Here we go again...

What the EU calls "standby" is what enigma receivers call "deep standby". Enigma's "standby" is almost identical to full on. Deep standby is essentially "off" with only the frontprocessor running. That is what the EU calls "standby" and in that state, the tuners receive no power so the LNB's are not powered.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #22 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 9 May 2019 - 14:57

Power supply on T is another story than S. For T powering is completely optional and most antenna's will work fine without power. For S it's mostly essential to have power.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #23 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 9 May 2019 - 19:48

100 mA, 18V * 0.1 = 1.8 W... say 2 Watts... With a KWh price of EUR 0.25 it saves EUR 4.50 a year...

OK. It's not a waste of energy, of course..... but let's supose you have small LED lights at your home, 2 or 3 W, and during daylight hours you don't need them. 

Will you keep them ON if you don't need it ???

I supose that a LNB and diseqc switch that works 24h/day and other ones that work 3 or 4 hours/day won't have same life time.

I simplified the code (just doing off) and compiled it for mipsel and armhf, no box for armhf so I can´t test it, my box allready switches off the voltage (down to 1V) if I turn to DVB-T or stream, if I am on SAT I can´t turn off the voltage, I get this error

./lnb_voltage_off

turning off the LNB voltage...

open: Device or resource busy
ioctl FE_SET_VOLTAGE: Bad file descriptor

if I turn to DVB-T or stream it is going like this

./lnb_voltage_off

turning off the LNB voltage...

seems working, you may test it on your box

I have tested it on UNO 4k SE (arm) and it doesn't work.

It says "turning off the LNB voltaje, but it really doesn't.

If it's turned ON, on SAT, it says the same thing….

Edited by jpuigs, 9 May 2019 - 19:52.

Enigma is getting old....

Spoiler

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #24 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:15

What :o

LNB power is on at standby! Oops, now I'm sad. I was on the way to ask if anyone have verified that demod&tuner is really shutdown/sleep in standby (server mode). ...now I read that even the LNB power is on! I see it as basic functionality that it is off in standby. Is this unique for VU+ or all STBs? How about Zgemma H7?

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #25 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,995 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:47

My solo4k all tuners(2xFBC DVB-S2/dual DVB-S2) power off in standby.

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #26 dhwz

• 227 posts

+20
Neutral

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:19

Here we go again...

What the EU calls "standby" is what enigma receivers call "deep standby". Enigma's "standby" is almost identical to full on. Deep standby is essentially "off" with only the frontprocessor running. That is what the EU calls "standby" and in that state, the tuners receive no power so the LNB's are not powered.

The reason why Dream renamed it a long time ago according EU standard... ;)
standby -> idle
deep standby -> standby

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #27 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,561 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:24

I always hated the term "deep standby", not a single end-user understand that, only of the many "geek texts" used...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #28 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,262 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:42

That was why with openPLi the box can go in 'deep'-standby  when the box is for x-time in 'standby/idle'... Actually this is something that should be done by default regarding the EU-laws and then you do not need/have these two different types of standby anymore... however those who use their box as 'cardserver' do not like that at all :)

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #29 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 11 May 2019 - 23:46

Power supply on T is another story than S. For T powering is completely optional and most antenna's will work fine without power. For S it's mostly essential to have power.

Yes, but if box is in standby mode, LNB power is not needed at all.

My solo4k all tuners(2xFBC DVB-S2/dual DVB-S2) power off in standby.

So the S2X FBC dual tuner I have in Uno SE 4k behaves different than the S2 FBC one.

Spoiler

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #30 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,561 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2019 - 23:51

That depends. If recordings are active, or streams are active, LNB power is absolutely needed.

Standby isn't standby at all, from a technical point of view, it's just "video output turned off". Some don't even turn HDMI power off...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #31 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2019 - 00:20

That depends. If recordings are active, or streams are active, LNB power is absolutely needed.

But then it should go out of standby mode and into rec/stream mode. Wake up tuners and so on. Of course after that go to standby again. ...but I got a feeling that OpenPLi doesn't do that. ...or does it try, but not all boxes (bsp) supports it?

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #32 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,561 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:08

True. If those different modes existed, but they don't. And afaik none of the boxes have drivers with ioctl's to switch things like tuners off.

Which is why the name "standby" is misleading, and "deep standby" a term nobody understands, but technically is "standby" like people know it from other devices ( = everything off except the front processor, so you can use the remote to switch it on again ).

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #33 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,262 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:29

Before the european power saving law standby could be standby as our boxes have... now standby is max 1 W and that is where the frontprocessor like solutions became mandatory...
but naming the current standby idle and the deepstandby standby does somehow also not cover it

Edited by littlesat, 12 May 2019 - 07:31.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #34 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:36

The frontprocessor was already present in the dm7000.

The issue is that people don't accept having to wait for almost a minute for the receiver becoming active (which I understand).

IIRC the HiSillicon SoC have a "sleep" mode, comparable to S4/S5 on ACPI, where energy consumption is < 1 W. That's what needed.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 12 May 2019 - 08:37.

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #35 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,262 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:40

+1

Edited by littlesat, 12 May 2019 - 08:43.

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #36 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:01

Yes, nowadays you can reach low power without shutoff power completely with frontprocessor. ...Depend how you do hardware and software!

I think "deep standby" is a very good name. The "standby" can be written with "server mode" or something like that, so it is clear. -- I thought it is like that (sorry, maybe I should take a look of reality)

PS. However I would like so low power as possible in server mode. Mine is used as file&dlna-server also, so need that part running.

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #37 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:41

Of course! , if you have an active recording or streams, it's absolute needed that LNB power is on , but if box is in standby, and nothing need LNB power, it should be OFF.

I Will return this VU+ to shop.

The issue is that people don't accept having to wait for almost a minute for the receiver becoming active (which I understand).

IIRC the HiSillicon SoC have a "sleep" mode, comparable to S4/S5 on ACPI, where energy consumption is < 1 W. That's what needed.

Does anybody know if Octagon 8008 (use HiSilicon SoC) has LNB power OFF on standby ?

Edited by jpuigs, 12 May 2019 - 12:41.

Spoiler

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #38 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,561 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 13:09

There is no OpenPLi for the Octagon, so you're asking the wrong crowd.

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #39 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 12 May 2019 - 13:49

I know there is no openpli for octagon.

There is SDG, which is based on Openpli.

I've just asked here  because it's possible that somebody has one.

Spoiler

Re: LNB Power in standby VU+ #40 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2019 - 13:51

I you want an energy-economic server either don't buy a set-top-box or remove the tuners + drivers (I did...).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users