Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 9 June 2019 - 12:58

I'm right now testing fallback tuner and missing text in EPG. The client stb is setup to import channels and EPG (and timer). When I look at EPG I only have a short description of events. This in all views that show EPG information. Every event have a name, description, extended description and more. The description shows up below the name (in most views). This is one row information and mostly number of episod, country and year. However normally it is more information below this. It can be several sentences with description. I believe this is called extended description. In my fallback tuner stb this text isn't visible, but on the server stb it is.

Is this something others also have, or have I missed some settings?

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #2 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 9 June 2019 - 13:12

It just forces the server box to create an epg.dat, download that, and the reload the downloaded epg.dat on the cliënt box... so you should have the same epg as the server box...’except when the stuff on the serverbox is already corrupted

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #3 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 9 June 2019 - 13:31

Yes, epg.dat updated on the server box. The file contains the missed text. Cannot find the file on client, maybe only in ram.

Can I clear the EPG on the server box? and let it build it up again. However strange it is fault EPG in the box, since it can show it locally.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #4 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 9 June 2019 - 13:46

The file on cliënt is moved to the epg.dat location.. readed and then possibly deleted

Edited by littlesat, 9 June 2019 - 13:46.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 9 June 2019 - 13:57

It still by the way doesn't work if your epg.dat is not in /media/hdd. Is that still on the todo list?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 9 June 2019 - 13:58

Can I clear the EPG on the server box? and let it build it up again. However strange it is fault EPG in the box, since it can show it locally.

EPG data is in memory. You only bump into the corruption when you actually access the corrupted data, which could be 10 days from now.

When data is dumped, it is all written from memory to file, as is. But when the file is read back, the correct data structures are expected in the file. It is at this point that you bump into the possible corruption.

It is easy to test if corruption is the culplit, simply restart the server box. When you do, it uses the same mechanism to save and restore the EPG between restarts. If the data is corrupt, the server box will not have EPG after the restart.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #7 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 9 June 2019 - 13:59

That should already be solved as far I remembered. it can be anywhere on the server box.. (7.1 rc)

Edited by littlesat, 9 June 2019 - 13:59.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 9 June 2019 - 14:00

That should already be solved as far I remembered. it can be anywhere on the server box.. (7.1 rc)

I'll double check in a minute.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #9 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 9 June 2019 - 14:25

On my server box the epg.dat is in /media/hdd/

Maybe I will restart enigma on it and see (right now recording going on). I now notice that the extended description popup for the channel I watch (on the client box).

PS. By the way THANKS for the fallback tuner functionality - very nice feature!

(well, I have some times got black picture at client box when switch on. Need to press a little (don't remember what) to see message that PAT isn't found)

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 9 June 2019 - 14:41

@Littlesat,

I haven't been able to check yet, because I've found a potential issue.

I have "Import from remote receiver URL" set to "EPG only".  But the blue button menu says "Import channels from fallback tuner", and I get an error message that "import of channels" failed (which I have not configured). It does not import any EPG. Luckily it fails on the channels, as this box is the one I define my bouquets on, it is the master for all other boxes.

Client box is 7.1-rc from yesterday, Server box runs yesterday's develop.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 9 June 2019 - 15:09

The error message is confusing. It says "Import channels failed. Error writing epg.dat on server". So it still doesn't work.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #12 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:38

It just forces the server box to create an epg.dat, download that, and the reload the downloaded epg.dat on the cliënt box... so you should have the same epg as the server box...’except when the stuff on the serverbox is already corrupted

Thank you for this technical information. This make me realize that it isn't good to have epg file on hdd, since it takes time to spin it up. I change to flash (/var/lib/), so now the client box start quicker (from standby). I think little about to have it in ram (/var/cache/), my server box have much ram.

If EIT is included in the stream, the client will see now/next (for many channels), even if the epg is empty.

If EPGRefresh is used and setup to save epg.dat file. It would be no need for fallback tuner to force a save of this file. Is it possible to configure this (so client not force a save in server)? ...not importsnt at all, the idea just popup in my head.

PS. I have discover that it seems like my operator doesn't send out the extended event info for so long time (future events). So maybe I was confused/cheated about how it was in server and client, regarding extended epg info (i.e. I took to fast conclusions about the situation).

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #13 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2019 - 15:50

Thank you for this technical information. This make me realize that it isn't good to have epg file on hdd, since it takes time to spin it up. I change to flash (/var/lib/), so now the client box start quicker (from standby). I think little about to have it in ram (/var/cache/), my server box have much ram.

That is a bit pointless.

Enigma holds all EPG data in RAM, the epg.dat file is only used as a cache, it is created when you stop Enigma (deep standby or off, restart enigma, restart the box), and read back into memory when Enigma starts again.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #14 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2019 - 15:56

Actually it is not a cache... it is more a backup... that keeps the epg data while e2 is not running.
It would be nicer when we could create a database on a non upspinning media.. and keep just a cache in ram.

Edited by littlesat, 14 June 2019 - 15:57.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #15 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2019 - 16:28

Semantics. ;)

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #16 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 14 June 2019 - 18:27

Yes, I understand. In my application I don't see a need to keep epg between restarts (it will always be on, in active standby mode). Thats why I thought like that. However flash can be written many times and is quick.

PS. A database on disc (flash) will be cached by linux (filesystem), so in some way you actually will get a cache in ram (but you don't have full control of the cache).

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #17 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2019 - 20:22

If it is a proper database, the RDBMS will take care of all that. Added bonus would be that all your boxes could share the same database, especially in setups where streaming is used.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #18 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2019 - 20:30

Doing EPG in a proper way has been discussed many times but always breaks on compatibility with plugins.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Missing extended EPG in fallback tuner #19 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:24

It's works! So no big problem with EPG as I see now.

Now after epg config change. I get picture quick at start (wake up from standby). However I missing the infobar (with channel and event info) that normally popup, for example at channel zap. I would like the box to display some OSD directly after press power on remote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users