Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bumperbee

• 283 posts

+10
Neutral

Posted 5 July 2019 - 22:25

Hi Everyone, I have Duo2 and wish to link to the router usb hdd. I am able to detect it when doing a network scan but could not detect the usb hdd. Could someone please tell me if there is any possibility of doing this? Thanks

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,561 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 5 July 2019 - 23:29

It could be it doesn't advertise its services?

You can always create the mount manually.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #3 bumperbee

• 283 posts

+10
Neutral

Posted 6 July 2019 - 02:07

Hi WanWizard, thank you for the quick reply. I just done a manual link of my router at 192.168.1.1 with input of user name & password. But sadly it didn’t read the hdd. Please tell me where have I miss out?

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #4 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 6 July 2019 - 10:43

Can you access the usbhdd (on the router) from a computer?

Have you configure your router to share out a storage share (smb/cifs) or FTP share?

Have you actually configure user&password for the share (this isn't the same as the admin user name and password of the router)?
Isn't it better to use anonymous (guest) access, or do you really need protect the files from others in your house.

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #5 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,073 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 6 July 2019 - 14:09

Go into the network configuration screen, there you have the network browser it is will search and show you all the available shares then you can easily mount it.

But most provider router only support FAT32 fomatted HDD so you wll have limit of 4GB per file and this can will be problematic if you decide to record on it.

Edited by Pr2, 6 July 2019 - 14:10.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #6 bumperbee

• 283 posts

+10
Neutral

Posted 7 July 2019 - 01:50

Hi –M- & Pr2, thank you for the advice. I try again. Best Regards to All

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #7 Pike_Bishop

• 1,130 posts

+72
Good

Posted 8 July 2019 - 21:03

i use a link from my harrddisc which is on my router (Fritzbox) and this works perfect.

First you need a share (here i use samba (cifs) with autofs it looks as following in the file /etc/auto.net;

FRITZNAS	-fstype=cifs,user=xxxx,pass=xxxxxxxx,rw,iocharset=utf8	://192.168.188.1/fritz.nas

(you can edit the /etc/auto.net with a linux compatible editor as notepad++)

that needs to configure a user and password on the router.

the share is then under /media/net with name "FRITZNAS"

my movies on this share i have under (complete path);

/media/autofs/FRITZNAS/TOSHIBA_USB3_1/movie

and this path i linked with command;

ln -s /media/autofs/FRITZNAS/TOSHIBA_USB3_1/movie /media/hdd/movie/___FritzNas_Videos

in the movie directory from my internal harddisc.

autofs isn't installed out of the box in pli, so you need it make also;

opkg update
opkg install autofs

maybe this post can help you, because you can see the setup which it needs.

and at last restart your box complete.

regards

Pike

Edited by Pike_Bishop, 8 July 2019 - 21:06.

Receiver: VU Ultimo 4K, Octagon SF8008 4K, Gigablue Quad 4K

Image: OpenPLI-8.3

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,561 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 8 July 2019 - 21:12

OpenPLi doesn't use autofs, so this isn't going to work.

You can create the same mount with the mount manager. Possibly, depending on the kernel version on the box, you might have to add

vers=1.0

to the mount options, chances are the Fritz still wants SMBv1.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #9 Pike_Bishop

• 1,130 posts

+72
Good

Posted 8 July 2019 - 21:28

OpenPLi doesn't use autofs, so this isn't going to work.

but here this works with autofs, but you're right for a harddisc on router you didn't need autofs because the router is always on

Edited by Pike_Bishop, 8 July 2019 - 21:31.

Receiver: VU Ultimo 4K, Octagon SF8008 4K, Gigablue Quad 4K

Image: OpenPLI-8.3

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,561 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 8 July 2019 - 23:03

Sure, if you istalled it, it's in the feeds.

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #11 bumperbee

• 283 posts

+10
Neutral

Posted 9 July 2019 - 01:30

Hi Pike_Bishop & WanWizard, thank you for instructions and advices. I try

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #12 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,623 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 9 July 2019 - 05:14

Do not forget enable ports for samba on router's firewall - TCP+UDP: 137,138,139,445

But in final are used: TCP: 445(M$ sharing), UDP: 137(netbios name service) ,138(netbios datagram service)

For better work with autofs (cifs, nfs) you can install ManagerAutofs plugin in feed. More about it is on our wiki.

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #13 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 9 July 2019 - 08:21

Please, it isn't recommended to publish fileshares on internet. Also I don't see any questions about sharing movies over internet in this thread. So skip open up stuff in the firewall.

- at least I assume the things we talk about here is local network at home. A home with simple ordinary network setup.

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #14 bumperbee

• 283 posts

+10
Neutral

Posted 9 July 2019 - 21:40

Hi Ims & -M-, thank you for advice. Best Regards to All

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #15 LVM

• 21 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:46

Hello,

OpenPLi 7.3 installed on Xtrend4000, NTFS USB HDD attached over USB 2.0 port on FritzBox 7560.

NetworkBrowser sees the IP Address - 192.168.0.1, user and password for the share are provided (correctly configured to access SMB & FTP on FritzBox).

However the USB disk is not visible in Network Browser dropdown menu under 192.168.0.1. The plugin says click OK to expand/collapse the shares.

Even with manual configuration of the shared device ( vers=1.0,sec=ntlmv2,rw) it is not possible to read the files and directories on the FritzBox USB HDD.

The same situation with NewNIgma2, installed on dreambox DM800HD PVR.

Shared USB HDD is not listed.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #16 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,561 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2021 - 14:05

If SMBv1 is disabled on the Fritzbox, you won't see it in the network browser (as that only supports NetBIOS broadcasts, no WSDD). But it should still work on other SMB versions.

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #17 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,805 posts

+83
Good

Posted 26 April 2021 - 19:59

In addition, the network browser (unfortunately) has always set the Fritzbox's SMB shares correctly only if it has already been set up manually.
Otherwise, the shared directories will not be displayed and the shared directories cannot be accessed via a network browser.

Re: Linking Usb Harddisk at Router to Box #18 LVM

• 21 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 April 2021 - 22:18

I am really confused now.

As mentioned above, I already tried both variants: to share the network drive over network browser and to to set up the share manually

I even tried restart of the sat device - et4000.

However the network browser is NOT showing the share - nether automatically nor manually configured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users