• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #21 shax

• 90 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 9 October 2019 - 10:18

New version is available.

- support for Dreambox security features (status code 412)

- decimals in dB values

- option to set dB as default value

- channel up/down buttons on signal page

- screenshot export

- fix for screenshot on DreamOS

- allow empty username & password

Special thanks to @el bandido for input on using dB as default and @Pr2 for reporting issues.

Application is available for free download for iOS & Android devices.

appstore.png play.png

Edited by shax, 9 October 2019 - 10:18.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #22 HPPli

• 1,882 posts

+36
Good

Posted 9 October 2019 - 18:37

@shax, thanks for your very nice application "Enigma Signal Meter" :wub:

It works amazing and perfectly, one critical note ……………….. ^_^

If I'll will use a stream-channel from my Vu+Duo4K to an Android Mobile/Phone it works fine with MX-Player.

But after watching the stream, there isn't a switch-off function of your App, so the infobar of the Vu shows still a stream connection with or to the Phone.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Could you tell the latest Version and Build number ?

Edited by HPPli, 9 October 2019 - 18:37.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #23 shax

• 90 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 9 October 2019 - 19:43

Thank you for the feedback. Please rate the app to help the others.

I didn't get it at first, but yes, I know what you mean. This has nothing to do with the app itself or video player. It's just the way WebInterface works, nothing I can do about it. Did you try to change the channel in the app?

Latest version depends on platform (iOS / Android) and cpu type. Build number should end with 280.  App store & Play store have the latest version available for download.

Edited by shax, 9 October 2019 - 19:48.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #24 HPPli

• 1,882 posts

+36
Good

Posted 9 October 2019 - 21:18

Okay, we work with the latest Android version of you ===> Version: 1.0.0, Build: 2280

Your SignalMeter App connect excellent to the Vu+Duo4K with OpenPli7.2RC, but your new buttons for change to an another channel don't work.

But until now it is a bit poor that the App don't have a switch-off and also after watching a stream (channel), the infobar of the connected receiver still shows a stream connection with or to the Phone.

If there is a stream from the Vu+Duo4K to, for example a Vu+Uno4K with the fallbacktuner function, the connection is gone or finish after a switch to standby of the Vu+Uno4K ( no longer the info of stream connection from the source/Vu+Duo4K)

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #25 shax

• 90 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 9 October 2019 - 22:44

Not sure if I understood corectly, but app does have switch off, under More-> Send to sleep if thats's what you mean?

Like I said it's the way WebIf works, you can try using the stream from WebInterface in browser, it acts the same. There's no callback to tell the receiver stream is not used anymore (at least I'm not aware of any).

Can you give more details about what exactly means not working? Gives error or nothing happens? This should go channel up/down cycling inside single bouquet.

Edited by shax, 9 October 2019 - 22:47.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #26 shax

• 90 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 9 October 2019 - 22:55

There has been some discussion about this
https://www.opena.tv...iert-tuner.html

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #27 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,439 posts

+62
Good

Posted 9 October 2019 - 23:12

Surely it should be better to word it as "Exit/Close" so user can close App. Sleep implies it is still running.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #28 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,439 posts

+62
Good

Posted 10 October 2019 - 00:02

I cant find the "More-> Send to sleep"/Exit function. It is as if you want to force the application to run all the time

Edited by Abu Baniaz, 10 October 2019 - 00:02.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #29 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,439 posts

+62
Good

Posted 10 October 2019 - 00:37

Also, I am sure tuner not being released after being used for streaming was fixed in ViX/PLi.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #30 shax

• 90 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:00

Ahaaaa, I thought by "switch off" you want to "switch off receiver by sending it to standby".

If you're connected to the receiver back button (arrow) will disconnect you and take you back to profiles list.

Hitting it again will close the app, just like any other app.

I'm not forcing anything, this is standard way mobile apps work. There is no EXIT button in mobile apps.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #31 roxette

• 161 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 14 October 2019 - 22:32

Hi,

Thank you for sharing that nice app,

I have a question though, why it consumes a lot of data traffic?

I put it on test indoors via wifi then noticed that my router lights blinks like hell  :blink:  :)

I have used other app like the one in the attachment which doesn't use a fraction of that traffic.

Is it coz of the request time in milliseconds?

If yes then could you implement an option to lower it as needed?

Edited by WanWizard, 17 October 2019 - 16:12.
removed attachment on request of the poster

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #32 shax

• 90 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:22

Excellent question.

This is common misunderstanding.

Why do you think it consumes a lot of traffic?

Because your router blinks a lot?

Your router blinks on every request made, it has nothing to do with the request size.

One signal measurement takes about 164 bytes.

Let's say you're connecting via cellular connection (otherwise traffic is irrelevant), on my box it takes about 120ms for one signal request (GigaBlue Quad Plus) to complete.

So with this we come to around 8 requests per second (1000 ms / 120 ms) when app is used on cellular connection.

Now we can calculate that in one second app will generate around 164 * 8 = 1313 bytes = 1.2 kilobytes per second

That makes it around 77 kilobytes per minute or 4.5 megabytes PER HOUR.

And that's only if you're constantly on signal meter page. 

If you're not on signal meter page, there is no traffic except one request every 15 seconds to get current service name.

When you're fixing your dish you would want your router to blink as much as possible.

Every blink means you get a signal read out, more signal readings per second = easier to point your dish.

That particular app works like this: tell me how much do I have to wait between requests --> make request --> wait XXX --> make request

This will always limit app to maximum of 2 requests per second.

Enigma Signal Meter works like this: make request --> wait for response (limited to max 5 sec) --> make request

There is no waiting, no limit of requests per second, it just gets reads as fast as possible which is what you want when you're fixing your dish.

Another problem with technique in the app you specified is that you can actually get false reading.

Suppose app makes 5 requests. First one takes 7 seconds to complete, all other take less than 200 ms.

You would get result from the first request last, since it took more time to finish.

Requests are not ordered, they are shuffled.

Enigma Signal Meter will show instant reaction without any waiting, and you get signal reading in ordered manner.

Also, Enigma Signal Meter has timing for each request (and average timing for last 30 requests).

Why? So you don't wonder if connection works when levels are not changing.

You can see the app keep getting requests because timings changes.

And average request time comes in handy when you need to position your phone to get best WiFi signal.

Hope this explains it.

Regards.

Edited by shax, 15 October 2019 - 10:24.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #33 roxette

• 161 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2019 - 00:15

Honestly, i was just freaked out after seen my router blinks like that as i used to the other app which works (silently).
As i'm on a limited cellular data plan so it does matter to me not to consume a lot of internet traffic while fixing my antenna.

If you say that it uses 4.5 MB/h (if i'm on the signal meter page) that would be cool  :)

Thanks again for sharing the app and for that detailed explanation about how enigma signal meter works.

Bdw: the option you implemented to use db as primary level will disable other signal views (SNR,db,ACG,BER) if turned on.
I dunno if you decided to make it work like that or it's a bug.

Best regards.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #34 shax

• 90 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:59

Bdw: the option you implemented to use db as primary level will disable other signal views (SNR,db,ACG,BER) if turned on.

This is definitely a bug which no one else reported and I cannot reproduce.

Can you please provide more details to reproduce?

When "use dB as primary meter" is ON on signal page with multiple progress bars first progress bar is dB, second is SNR, and voice reads dB levels instead of SNR levels.

Everything else should stay exactly the same.

Regards.

Edited by shax, 16 October 2019 - 06:59.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #35 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,612 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:19

As i'm on a limited cellular data plan so it does matter to me not to consume a lot of internet traffic while fixing my antenna.

Can't you use wifi?

I used to hang an old wireless access point out the window when I still had a dish on the roof, to get coverage...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #36 roxette

• 161 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 17 October 2019 - 15:18

This is definitely a bug which no one else reported and I cannot reproduce.

Can you please provide more details to reproduce?

When "use dB as primary meter" is ON on signal page with multiple progress bars first progress bar is dB, second is SNR, and voice reads dB levels instead of SNR levels.

Everything else should stay exactly the same.

Regards.

The funny thing i dunno how  to reproduce it either  :)
It just occurs randomly, i'm even not sure if it's related to turning use dB as primary meter ON or not.

So instead of switching between the main signal page - SNR - db - ACG - BER.

It will show the request time chart then when you click on it it will show the main signal page.

I know that the request time chart is displayed when you swap up though.

Anyway, it's not a big deal because everything works normally after i restart the app.

Regards.

Can't you use wifi?

I used to hang an old wireless access point out the window when I still had a dish on the roof, to get coverage...

Unfortunately, not. my router has an insufficient coverage for that purpose, i'm thinking about buying one of those long range wifi usb adapters.

Bdw: could you please delete my attached signal meter screenshot because i don't want to distract forum members by it.
Besides it was last updated on 2013 so better focus on the app on the topic.

Edited by roxette, 17 October 2019 - 15:22.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #37 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,612 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 17 October 2019 - 16:13

I didn't have coverage as well, that is why I used an old Linksys as second access point, out the window, connected to my router with a 20m utp cable.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #38 shax

• 90 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 17 October 2019 - 18:32

@roxette There is no swipe UP action. Only swipe LEFT or RIGHT to move between the bottom tab pages. Tap on signal level progressbar cycles active view (all, SNR, dB, ACG, BER), tap on signal chart opens chart in fullscreen (as seen in promo video), taping it again will close fullscreen.
Also, while on signal page screen will be kept ON.

Not sure is this what you described as bug?

@WanWizard
You don't have dish anymore?

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #39 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,612 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 17 October 2019 - 19:58

@WanWizard
You don't have dish anymore?

Yes, I do, but it is on my balcony, with the TV at 2 meter distance, so no tools needed. ;)

Re: Enigma Signal Meter #40 shax

• 90 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 28 January 2020 - 19:37

I finally had some time to push new version 1.0.3 to App store and Play store.

New version brings

- support for x86_x64 Android devices
- option to map Channel +/- buttons to different remote control keys

You can choose between 3 different mappings:

- map to Bouquet +/- remote keys (default option)
- left / right remote keys
- up / down remote keys

Keep in mind, buttons Channel +/- will probably not behave as you expect it.
This is just the way Webinterface keys work, application simply sends mapped keys.
Try different mappings to find what suits your receiver/image the best.

Please rate the app to help others.

Application is available for free download for iOS & Android devices.

appstore.png play.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users