Receiver S2+T2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mruckert

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 October 2019 - 13:48

Hi,

I searched for a simple Linux Based TV receiver and found OpenPLi as a Software that looks like the thing I need.

Now I need to buy a receiver that can run it.

I do have a cables to a SAT dish pointing to ASTRA and a T2 Antenna. I want to use both, because on T2 I get some Channels from Austria that I do not get from ASTRA.

I use LInux in my work, so configuration, updating etc, should be no problem, but I do not want to fiddle arround with hardware that is not supported by the software.

I have a LAN connection to the new receiver and want to watch TV occasionally over the network on a tablet or pc in case our TV room is used otherwise.

Here are my questions:

Do I need an S2X receiver or is an S2 receiver as good?

Do I need to spend significantly more than 100 Euro to get a good receiver?

Are there any recomendations for receivers that are fast, well supported and cost below or arround 100Euro?

Thanks for your support.

Martin

Re: Advice needed on buying a receiver #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,510 posts

+1,734
Excellent

Posted 24 October 2019 - 15:10

No, S2X is needed to receive transmissions (downlinks) that are meant for service providers (for the moment)

No, you can get a receiver with both DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 tuners for less than 100 euro. If you are not going for 4K support, select a receiver with HVEC/H.265 support.

You can find the brands and models we support here: https://openpli.org/download. Note that some brands don't have new hardware (all current models are marked end-of-life).

If you want a fast box (relative, because of your budget constraints), pick a box with an ARM processor, and not with a MIPSEL processor.

My suggestion would be to look at the Mutant HD60 / Maxytec Multibox / Zgemma H9. All based on the same platform, and in the same price range. But maybe there are others...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Advice needed on buying a receiver #3 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27,388 posts

+393
Excellent

Posted 24 October 2019 - 15:41

The HD60 has only a satellite tuner so no T2. The Zgemma H9 series also have several models that don’t have a C/T/T2 tuner. But that is for TS to find out.

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

Re: Advice needed on buying a receiver #4 Dimmie

• 2,338 posts

+33
Good

Posted 24 October 2019 - 19:27

No, you can get a receiver with both DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 tuners for less than 100 euro.

Yes you can. For example Zgemma H9.2H.

Re: Advice needed on buying a receiver #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,510 posts

+1,734
Excellent

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:58

That is what I said. ;)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Advice needed on buying a receiver #6 Taykun345

• 1,297 posts

+41
Good

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:12

For such low price, Zgemma works great...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Army MoodBlue HD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...-MoodBlueHD-mod
Matrix10 MH-HD2 skin modification by me: https://github.com/B...-MX-HD2-OpenPli
MetrixHD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...xHD-WPstyle-mod
Slovenian translation for OpenPLi E2: https://github.com/T...ion-for-OpenPLi

Re: Advice needed on buying a receiver #7 Guardian

• 102 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 25 October 2019 - 14:30

Zgemma H9 combo
Maxytec Multibox

Re: Advice needed on buying a receiver #8 mruckert

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 November 2019 - 20:03

Thanks to all for the help.

I decided to buy a zgemma H9 combo and got it this week.

So far a good experience:

In addition to the stuff advertised there were also cables and screws for mounting an internal 2.5" SATA3 disk

in the box (which I did today, but one thing at a time...)

The thing looked new. it had the protecting plastic wrap still on it. I connected it to my tv and a T2 antenna and

started it. I had expected the setup dialog as described in the setup leaflet. Instead it booted right into OpenATV 6.2 showing tv.

-but did not succeed because there were some cable channels listed and I do not have cable.

I suspect that the box was started before. So I searched a while in the menus (a bit confusing) and found the

reset to factory default item. I picked it, it restarted and I got the setup dialog I had expected before.

Next I wanted to make a backup un an USB Stick. There was a menu item for it.

I prepared the stick and put it in the box, but the system continued to complain that I can not find it.

I googled and found that you can access the box using telnet over the network.

I did, and could log on to the system as root without a password.

This is a big security problem!!!

I could mount the stick and then make the backup.

In the long run, I want to have OpenPLi on it.

As I understand I have to flash a recovery image first and then the normal image from the menu.

If this is of interest, I can report later.

Martin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users