DM7000

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eldav

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 September 2008 - 13:53

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to PLi. I had been using an old 2006 Da Vinci image on my DM-7000, and I just added PLi Jade in dual boot. Judging from the general level of PLi, I can only appreciate the progress accomplished in two years ! :-) Unfortunately, I've run into three annoying problems, which made me revert to Da Vinci (temporarily I hope) :

- All my recordings are blank ! Using CCcam 2.09 and my official CSAT card, I'm able to view channels perfectly, but it's not able to record :-(

- The Web interface has a problem with accented characters : while it is possible to create a timer event with accents in its title, it it then impossible to edit said event. NB : Da Vinci had the exact same problem with apostrophes. Probably a simple case of (im)proper character encoding...

- VSFTP generally works OK, but it completely fails with one particular client, the one which I happen to use most, MPEG Streamclip (a free video editor with a built-in Enigma FTP client). Network sniffing shows that login goes OK, the client then request a listing of HDD files, the server apparently sends it back, but it fails with an error : "500 OOPS:vsf_sysutil_recv_peek" and consequently Streamclip receives no data. The general answer to this problem in Linux is to load the 'capability' module. Unfortunately, there is no such module in PLi...

I hope these reports may be useful. And if anyone has got a solution, I'll be more than happy to hear it ! :-)

Bye, Laurent.

Re: PLi Jade WebIf + FTP problems [*NO* recording problem] #2 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 23 September 2008 - 16:56

- All my recordings are blank ! Using CCcam 2.09 and my official CSAT card, I'm able to view channels perfectly, but it's not able to record :-(

So, you do have recordings (the file is there) but they are just black?

- The Web interface has a problem with accented characters : while it is possible to create a timer event with accents in its title, it it then impossible to edit said event. NB : Da Vinci had the exact same problem with apostrophes. Probably a simple case of (im)proper character encoding...

I know there were problems with the accented characters and did several fixes for that. Can you give me an example of such a title or a screenshot?

Re: PLi Jade WebIf + FTP problems [*NO* recording problem] #3 eldav

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 September 2008 - 21:20

Oops, I must have been very tired yesterday night... I'm not able to reproduce to problem this evening, the files are OK. I have to check my other computer. All my apologies to your team !

I know there were problems with the accented characters and did several fixes for that. Can you give me an example of such a title or a screenshot?

I've just made the test with the following event title : "[b]Martin Myst

Re: PLi Jade WebIf + FTP problems [*NO* recording problem] #4 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 23 September 2008 - 21:40

That's a lot of info and great debugging. All I can say for now is that I notice the UTF-8 thing with Firefox too.
I need more time for this so for now I've made a bug report.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: PLi Jade WebIf + FTP problems [*NO* recording problem] #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 23 September 2008 - 22:47

It is correct that Firefox assumes UTF-8 encoding when no encoding is specified. IE doesn't, it defaults to the Windows encoding, which is very similar to ISO-8859-1.

Mixing encodings is a very bad idea, I've recently noticed when trying to standardize this website to UTF-8... ;)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: PLi Jade WebIf + FTP problems [*NO* recording problem] #6 eldav

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 September 2008 - 00:18

Oops, I must have been very tired yesterday night... I'm not able to reproduce to problem this evening, the files are OK. I have to check my other computer. All my apologies to your team !

Well, maybe I was not so tired the other night... :-( I've just been checking today's (24/09) recordings, and they're all blank... Which means the files are there, and the sizes are alright, but they're blank all the same :-( Reading the files from PLi and DaVinci gives the same result, so it's probably safe to say it's not a PLi vsftp problem. I think I'll stick with my old DaVinci for now. Losing one day's worth of recordings was no big deal, but I prefer to play it safe...

Thanks for all,

Laurent.

Re: PLi Jade WebIf + FTP problems [*NO* recording problem] #7 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 September 2008 - 00:51

[quote=eldav][quote=dAF2000]
I've just made the test with the following event title : "Martin Mystère". The link looks like this (%E8 = è in Latin-1 encoding) :
.[/quote]

We have similar issues with the Thailand language so this thread may help you out a bit;

http://www.pli-image...4451#post_64451

cheers

Re: PLi Jade WebIf + FTP problems [*NO* recording problem] #8 eldav

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:33

[quote=jonc][quote=eldav][quote=dAF2000]
I've just made the test with the following event title : "Martin Mystère". The link looks like this (%E8 = è in Latin-1 encoding) :
.[/quote]

We have similar issues with the Thailand language so this thread may help you out a bit;

http://www.pli-image...4451#post_64451

cheers[/quote]

Hi,

It think the best medium-term solution would be to standardize on UTF-8 instead of Latin-1. This is a choice I made in my work (yes, I'm a website developer :D) a few years ago, and it is well supported by all modern OSes. I guess one important reason why so many websites still rely on Latin-1 comes from MySQL (and hence PHP) having had trouble managing UTF-8 correctly until recently...

<offtopic rant>

One of the reasons I bought a Dreambox was that you were supposed to be able to hack Linux yourself. But after four years of using one, I must say that I'm still completely unable to do so. Due to the "sensitive" nature of the software, finding detailed explanations on how to setup a cross-compilation environment for building Tuxbox, or just being able to download the source code for an emulator or an image are nearly impossible tasks. This may be free software, but it really looks like closed-source to me... And the fact that the WebIf is written in C, and not in an interpreted scripting language like Perl or Python prevents me from fixing the problem myself. So, the common user's only option is to avoid using "forbidden" characters... :-(

Mark you, I really appreciate being able to discuss with competent people in this PLi forum, because most of the time, I had been under the impression that Dreambox images were developed by opaque teams, which could appear or disappear without notice. This happened to the DaVinci team, and if their work had been free (as in speach) software, it would have lived on. I asked on their forums if if was possible to get the source code, but nobody ever answered...

On a related subject, I've started using MythTV for a couple of weeks, and coming from a Dreambox background, I'm really impressed by the software and the community, especially :
[list]
[*]being able to record 5 channels simultaneously per tuner (bye-bye most scheduling conflicts and associated headaches),
[*]flexibiliy : mix and match tuners (currently dual DVD-T, but I'll be adding DVB-T HD and DVB-S soon) in a client-server architecture
[*]the scheduling system works by defining *rules* instead of plain events, i.e. it automatically finds repeat events in the EPG without having to program fixed, weekly repeat events by hand. And it solves conflicts rather intelligently, eg. if one of your repeat events clashes with a particular one-shot event.
[*]XMLTV integration allows to get several days' EPG. And of course, the scheduling system automatically updates the schedules every time EPG data are updated :-)
[*]lots of documentation (official website, wiki, multiple forums), and easy access to the source code (or to Debian/Ubuntu/... packages).[/list] MythTV is reputed for being horrible to install, but using a package such as Mythbuntu makes things much, much easier. In fact, secrecy only creeps in again when you try to find out about how to receive Pay TV (what card reader to choose, how to interface an emu with it, etc.), and then you're confronted again with opacity, partial documentation etc. because this is a gray zone...

</offtopic trant>

Anyway, I'm very impressed with the level of responsivity of this forum, and very grateful too for the help :-)

Thanks a lot,

Laurent.

Re: PLi Jade WebIf + FTP problems [*NO* recording problem] #9 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,470 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2009 - 16:04

is the above problem still available in latest Jade3 images?

(#643)

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users