Photo

VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Marbulinek

• 10 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:55

Hi, I have a VU + Solo2 receiver with LAN connection and I want to connect to the network via WiFi. I have an OpenPLi 7.2 image installed. In the Receiver Menu> Settings> System> Expert Settings> Network I see LAN only. For example, I was looking for a suitable driver in Plugin> Drivers, but I didn't find anything.
Please give advice on how to connect VU + to WLAN
Thanks

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #2 ccs

• 229 posts

+7
Neutral

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:03

No built in wifi in the solo2, so you'll need a wifi dongle, if you're not already trying one.

test

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #3 Marbulinek

• 10 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:43

Sorry, I forgot to say that WiFi dongle has VU + Solo2 embedded. This is the model: https://www.amazon.c...U/dp/B07P5PRK7J. Or must it be a special model? I connect my PC to the network quickly and easily.

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:49

PC's have most drivers pre-installed, embedded systems do not (waste of flash space).

You need to know the chipset of the dongle, to know which driver you need to install. Alternatively, login and use the command "lsusb" to list its USB id (from which we can lookup the driver needed).

edit: a quick internet search shows it's probably a RTL8811AU, for which we have no driver. Note that the amazon listing doesn't mention linux support... It is also not listed in the Linux kernel driver database.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #5 Marbulinek

• 10 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 January 2020 - 16:52

Thanks, it's pretty difficult for me to realize. Is this necessary for older versions of OpenPLi, such as OpenPLi 6.2? Maybe I should try another picture into the receiver, perhaps the drivers will be part of it. The problem with OpnePLi is that Plugins do not offer any "networh-usb" to download.

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2020 - 19:29

The problem with OpnePLi is that Plugins do not offer any "networh-usb" to download.

That still requires you to know the chipset.

And no, if the current OpenPLi doesn't have the driver, older versions will definitely not have them.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #7 NtenAsb

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 January 2020 - 19:58

I have similar problem using a last week bought VU zero with VU dual band Wi-Fi dongle. According to seller the official VU Wi-Fi dongle should be easily installed automatically or via the application feed.

But the dongle is not working on the zero using Openpli 7.2. From the forum I read that the new 7.2 has been cleaned up also with Wi-Fi drivers. I also read that under 6.2 the drivers could be installed form the application menu under “modules”. But in my version of 7.2 the submenu “modules” is not visible.

Is there a problem with the installation of Openpli 7.2 or are the drivers now to be found under a different submenu.

I also checked the driver submenu but also this menu seems not to contain the Realtek dual band USB Wi-Fi driver I need.  

Does anyone know what is the problem?    

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2020 - 20:08

The problem is that nobody tells us what the chipset of that stick is, and without that information, we can't help.

The cleanup has nothing to do with a removal, on the contrary, 7.2-release supports more usb wifi devices than any other OpenPLi version. What has happened is that we've unitied the driver names for drivers that only supported by newer Linux kernel versions, so that for kernels we have to build the driver "out of tree", the resulting filename is the same. This is a prerequisite for creating meta packages you can install from the plugins screen.

Enabling the "modules" list was a trial, which basically showed all packages starting with "kernel-module". The problem with that is that most wifi devices require multiple packages (for example firmware), so installing only the driver is pointless. This will be addressed with the meta packages, which can install dependent packages.

Meta packages are planned for OpenPLi 8.

In the meantime you can, like you had to with any OpenPLi version, installl the packages via software management (advanced options, package management).

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #9 NtenAsb

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 January 2020 - 21:52

I have put the stick in my PC. It says Realtek RTL 8811AU.

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2020 - 21:54

Like I wrote before, there is no linux supported driver for the 8811AU.

Next time, buy a stick that is supported.

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #11 NtenAsb

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 16 January 2020 - 22:16

The stick contains also a disk. On this disk is a linus subfolder which seems to contain a linux driver. A .tar file. 

Do you need this file, or how do I load this file from my PC to the VU+.

I have both on wired networkconnection.

Re: VU+Solo2 - connection via WiFi #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2020 - 23:11

It probably contains source.

And I think you underestimate the work needed to compile a driver for 70+ different receivers and 20+ different linux kernel versions. Not very high on my very long todo list, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users