• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #21 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,955 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2020 - 17:37

BTW this "kernel" module is the drivers. An opaque blob of binary code made by the manufacturer. It is NOT code from the kernel itself.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #22 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 6 March 2020 - 17:50

Yes, indeed, also this (my) kernel module is not stripped and has all debug infos :)

Edited by serdeliuk, 6 March 2020 - 17:52.

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #23 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 7 March 2020 - 09:59

Just to let you know that i have a little progress here,

1. i have built an android app which is able to send IR commands to my Solo4K, currently only RC keys.

2. i have discovered that the enigma2 does not care about toggle bit, it cares only if you press the next key in a timeframe ignoring the togglebit, ie. i am able to control togglebit :)

3. i am working to build an enigma2 plugin to be able to receive and display extra keys and then i need to discover their codes, basically here it comes the time consuming part....

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #24 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 7 March 2020 - 10:18

Hi,

I meant the toggle bit. A lot of universal remotes have problems with it so I assume that a simple smart phone might also have problems with it.

Ralf

By the way, the original RC set  the toggle bit haphazardly, without any rules, so if there exists universal remotes which have issues is not from the toggle-bit :)

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #25 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:36

Just to let you know that i have a little progress here,

1. i have built an android app which is able to send IR commands to my Solo4K, currently only RC keys.

2. i have discovered that the enigma2 does not care about toggle bit, it cares only if you press the next key in a timeframe ignoring the togglebit, ie. i am able to control togglebit :)

3. i am working to build an enigma2 plugin to be able to receive and display extra keys and then i need to discover their codes, basically here it comes the time consuming part....

4. i was able to encode all 255 possible commands, now i need to finalize "the scanner" the android app which will beam all 255 commands one by one, select next command, send the command and note somewhere all commands generating events :)

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #26 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:24

I have finalized my IRbaster app and sent first batch of 255 test codes, i have discovered in this batch few commands which are not implemented on my remote control as following

0x805210e6 - edit
0x805210c4 - tape
0x805210ba - end
0x805210b9 - home

Also discovered a bug, the 0x80521030 send play/pause event which is normal, but 0x8052102d generate same event.

Attached is a screenshot with the IRblaster prototype :)

Attached Files

Edited by serdeliuk, 12 March 2020 - 02:25.

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #27 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 12 March 2020 - 16:25

It seems that i reached a dead end here, i thought that i will be able to send commands using the third byte from the right too, the one which is always 0, but this byte is used to identify the device, if i change that byte the receiver refuse to interact because it thinks that infrared signal he receives is for another device.

So, at this point i had only the above 4 extra keys which are not much but proved my point, that it is possible :)

What i do not understand is why vu developers added all those events to kernel module if all of them are above 255 bits, probably reused code from other app and didn't cleaned the code, which corroborated with the play/pause bug lead me to think that they are poorly qualified to do their jobs.

However, was fun and i learned a lot about android programming and infrared communication, this is the first time i interact with them deeper than fooling around, I will create a github repo for my blaster for those ones which want to play around.

The only step to add/fix all codes is to dig into kernel module, but this is not legal :)

Edited by serdeliuk, 12 March 2020 - 16:25.

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #28 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,439 posts

+62
Good

Posted 12 March 2020 - 21:50

Not sure if it helps or not, have you seen this?

https://forums.openp...emote-controls/

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #29 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 12 March 2020 - 22:17

Thanks, didn't saw, interesting project, however, i know i can use other hardware, or add a new ir port as well, actually i have one, a RTL-SDR usb stick , it has a raw ir port which helped me to read codes from my remote.

My idea was to use existing hardware, the STB IR port and any android device which have an ir port. With a simple android app anyone at any level could transform their android devices into remote control with extra keys.

From the beginning i saw the kernel module limitation which on many cases does not have extra events, in my case it had a lot, unfortunately cannot be accessed through 8bit command range provided by the ir protocol without reverse engineering the kernel module :)

So, back on track porting dosbox and remap keys to be used with remote control instead of keyboard... :)

Edited by serdeliuk, 12 March 2020 - 22:17.

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #30 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 13 March 2020 - 14:06

From the Vu+ Solo4K user manual at http://www.vuplus.co...ish_D190612.pdf

It seems that the box support qwerty over IR, this means that i am missing something, i will dig around a bit then :)

Attached Files

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #31 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:10

The irBuster is ready and works as expected.

Currently it works only with RC6 mode 6A protocol with short or long customer ID, but easily can be added new/all protocols or to be modified to change the protocol

Basically you can send/set any bit from the 32 bits available, currently i am preparing a github repo to release version for anyone who want to see it in action or to review the code.

Currently it is set for Vu+ Solo4K "vu mode2 of their universal rc" andthe app can change between all 4 modes. 

Best regards,

M

Attached Files

Edited by serdeliuk, 21 March 2020 - 10:14.

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #32 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:17

P.S. i wonder why i am not allowed to modify my own posts.... i am missing something?

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #33 mrvica

• 1,227 posts

+82
Good

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:15

you can modify your posts for 5 minutes after creation

https://forums.openp...to-edit-a-post/

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #34 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:46

Yeah, but this is very restrictive, however, indeed could do damage to good, thanks for the link.

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #35 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,597 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2020 - 14:02

The good have to suffer because of the bad.

We have had people in the past retroactively changing their posts, sometimes weeks later, and this forum software doesn't have the feature to block edits one there is a reply (which imho would be the best solution).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #36 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2020 - 21:03

All done, for anyone interested here is the repo https://github.com/serdeliuk/irBuster with source code and the android package, enjoy.

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #37 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:22

Hello,

I bought an original  Vu+ dual IR remote, Universal and qwerty IR remote control.

Both sides are IR and each side have it's own IR transmitter led, the qwerty side has the IR led on the side of RC.

Both sides send all keys and evtest see all events generated by all keys from all sides.

However, it seems that at some point the qwerty support has been removed from Enigma2/OpenPli and i wonder if anyone knows why, for example if i open wifi network settings and try to input text from qwerty  part the Enigma2 display the non-allocated key in the upper-right corner which means that the key is received but does not understand what to do with it.

I suspect that at some point the keymap.xml was altered and all qwerty kes has been removed, i think that even an usb keyboard will not work, but i am not able to test i do not own an usb keyboard.

Does anyone has any extra infos about why qwerty support is missing? Please  note, both sides of RC works as expected it is an Enigma2/OpenPli issue not have all keys in keymap.xml

Best regards,

Marc

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #38 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 10 May 2020 - 16:16

I have installed a vuplus image and with their image my qwerty IR RC works fine, but i want to use OpenPli, does anyone knows why this was not ported or why was changed into OpenPli?

init 2 && init 3

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #39 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,597 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 10 May 2020 - 16:44

I have to dig deep and my memory isn't all that, but if I recall correctly, there was a driver problem, which didn't register the RC as alfanumerically capable.

And instead of fixing the driver, VU+ has hacked support into their Enigma, which we can't do, as that would break all other remotes.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Android with IR port as remote control #40 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 10 May 2020 - 16:49

I see, but in this case a conditional patch per MACHINE can be created if we understand what modifications has been made. The kernel driver which bring up the event0 is the same in OpenPli and Vuplus images so for sure is not that one, right?

Do you have an usb keyboard around? I wonder if the qwerty support was removed completely or just for event0

Edited by serdeliuk, 10 May 2020 - 16:51.

init 2 && init 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users