Pli Jade + Hard Drive spin up??

DM7000

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Salty_Dog

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 1 October 2008 - 02:33

Is there a reason the Hard Drive spins up so often under Pli Jade?
Spins up on Boot up,
Spins up on Shut down,
Spins up on Restart Enigma,
Sometimes when no OSD is up and you press the "Video" button, it locks out all other buttons as the HDD spins up, before showing the OSD,
Sometimes it even spins up when you load the web interface, and the page will not fully load until hard drive is up and spinning???
Sometimes it just will not stop spinning at all?
I have no part of the OS on the HDD, just internal flash and VAR on USB. Nor do i have Time Shift enabled.

Is there a setting i can change? Or is this the way Pli Jade and Enigma works?
Seems funny that it sometimes spins up on loading web-interface, and sometimes doesn't. When it doesn't, web-interface loads with the "Error on page" message in the lower left corner of screen.
I have also had it spin up for no apparent reason at all to.... no network access, no file mode access.... just watching tv and it decides to spin up. That is very rare though.

Re: Pli Jade + Hard Drive spin up?? #2 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 1 October 2008 - 07:06

I can explain almost all:
Bootup: reads EPG file and recognize the harddisk etc
Shutdown: writes the EPG file
Restart: writes the EPG file (like shutdown)
Video button: it's about playing and recording of course. It may need some info like free space on the harddisk
Web interface: it loads the recordings.epl (the list of recordings). This one is annoying I agree.

This is also how the "normal" Enigma works.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: Pli Jade + Hard Drive spin up?? #3 Salty_Dog

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 1 October 2008 - 22:02

Thanks dAF2000, vey well explained :)

I'll have a look and see where my EPG file is?
As i don't remember it being on the HDD, but then again, enigma writes all kinds of funny little files on the HDD.
Sounds like if i can get that EPG file onto the USB, i could save a lot of HDD spinning ;)

My HDD has the following files in root related to this subject:

HDD/

epg folder (nothing in it)
dbb.epg.dat
dbb.epg.dat.md5
epg.dat
epg.dat.md5
private_epg.dat
private_epg.dat.md5

All files above have been written to in the last 2 days, so it seems enigma needs them all. Even though there seems to be a lot of them?
Is there a menu option to move these to USB?

Thanks again :)

Re: Pli Jade + Hard Drive spin up?? #4 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 1 October 2008 - 22:04

Yes, you can get the EPG on USB-stick. Go to the menu Dreambox settings/System settings/EPG and select USB-stick at "EPG location".

Re: Pli Jade + Hard Drive spin up?? #5 Salty_Dog

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 1 October 2008 - 22:13

Amazing response dAF2000... you are just too fast mate ;)

I always thought there was an option to move it, as i remember doing it on other Pli images.
I guess i am just a bit confused as to why it was defualt set to HDD ;)

Thanks so much for your prompt and helpful advice!!!

Re: Pli Jade + Hard Drive spin up?? #6 Salty_Dog

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 1 October 2008 - 22:33

Mmmmmm very interesting, my EPG was already set to USB stick under Enigme EPG location????

says EPG directory is /media/usb

Do you think perhaps i can just delete the files on HDD, even though it seems Enigma has been writting to them as recently as this morning?
My USB stick seems to have the same EPG files as the HDD does? And they have been written to at the same time.

Could it be a case of having some old EPG files on my HDD when i did a fresh serial flash of Pli Jade a few days ago, and it has picked them up as being on the HDD and written settings to allow for that?

Could i delete all epg files on HDD and then re-flash Jade?

Should i check or uncheck any of the boxes in EPG menu? MHW EPG / DISH/BEV EEPG / Limit Enigma EPG size?

Thanks?

Re: Pli Jade + Hard Drive spin up?? #7 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 2 October 2008 - 07:37

You don't have to reflash, but it's strange the location is set to USB stick if you didn't set it yourself. You can just remove the epg files from the harddisk and check if those files were already on the USB stick. Enigma will read and write the files only after a reboot or restart. So, nothing may change until you restart Enigma.
I don't recognize the dbb.epg.dat files though and why they are on the harddisk.

Re: Pli Jade + Hard Drive spin up?? #8 Salty_Dog

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 October 2008 - 08:13

Mmmm perhaps from another image??
I used to have Flashwizard intalled and about 10 images on USB. But i scrapped the lot to just have Pli Jade in internal flash.
Used DreamUP via serial to put Pli Jade on.

Put i guess what ever other images wrote to the HDD will still be there....

I'll delete them and see what happens.

Thanks dAF2000

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users