• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #21 twol

• 445 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 22 June 2020 - 15:20

OK, guys, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

What I had to do is flash the 7.3 usb image via USB, fearing I would lose multiboot capabilities. Luckily I did not.

What seems to happen is this:

It looks like flashing the usb image and deleting the current partition table the latest OpenATV 6.4 creates if flashed via USB, fixes the multiboot with non OE-A images.

The good thing is that flashing an OE-A image after that in any slot, will retain the table, and compatibility. The only issue is that you cannot boot Mode12 from within OpenATV due to the differences already explained, but in all images the image list is now visible, so no problem for me.

Now, even SDG8 (Zeus) is working properly.

So, long story short, the distribution has nothing to do with the incompatibility, but OpenATV's workarounds do!

Nice things to know, I learned a lot today!

Thank you to everyone for your patience and suggestions! :)

There is no reason why any of the OE-A images will not handle bootmode 12 when OpenPli STARTUPS are in use - the code  to handle the multiboot change and different STARTUPS has been there for the last 3 months - if it doesn‘t work in OpenATV its a bug in their implementation

Edited by twol, 22 June 2020 - 15:21.

Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
.........FBC Tuners:
------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
.........DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W)

Octagon sf8008, AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo using Legacy ports on multiswitches
Zgemma H9twin & Zgemma H9 C/S mode into Giga4K

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #22 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,303 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 22 June 2020 - 15:22

Ther are a lot of cleanups is the multiboot code ...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #23 twol

• 445 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 22 June 2020 - 15:24

Ther are a lot of cleanups is the multiboot code ...

........... as many of us are aware! :)

Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
.........FBC Tuners:
------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
.........DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W)

Octagon sf8008, AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo using Legacy ports on multiswitches
Zgemma H9twin & Zgemma H9 C/S mode into Giga4K

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #24 MCelliotG

• 443 posts

+35
Good

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:01

OK, guys, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

What I had to do is flash the 7.3 usb image via USB, fearing I would lose multiboot capabilities. Luckily I did not.

What seems to happen is this:

It looks like flashing the usb image and deleting the current partition table the latest OpenATV 6.4 creates if flashed via USB, fixes the multiboot with non OE-A images.

The good thing is that flashing an OE-A image after that in any slot, will retain the table, and compatibility. The only issue is that you cannot boot Mode12 from within OpenATV due to the differences already explained, but in all images the image list is now visible, so no problem for me.

Now, even SDG8 (Zeus) is working properly.

So, long story short, the distribution has nothing to do with the incompatibility, but OpenATV's workarounds do!

Nice things to know, I learned a lot today!

Thank you to everyone for your patience and suggestions! :)

There is no reason why any of the OE-A images will not handle bootmode 12 when OpenPli STARTUPS are in use - the code  to handle the multiboot change and different STARTUPS has been there for the last 3 months - if it doesn‘t work in OpenATV its a bug in their implementation

They do handle both modes but only when the flash is partitioned with their emmc-recovery image. But once this is done you cannot install any OpenPLI multiboot image on any slot,without getting the no images found problem.

But if you do the other way round, install openpli 7.3 usb first and partition the flash, you can install any image in any slot and everything is visible.

But you cannot reboot to any Mode 12 from inside the OpenATV image anymore, it boots back to OpenATV. But you can boot to any OpenATV/OE-A mode 12 image from the selector of any OpenPLI image.

That means that something is missing on handling the startup files, which makes OpenATV's implementation incompatible towards OpenPLI, but thankfully not the other way around.

Edited by MCelliotG, 22 June 2020 - 19:02.

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #25 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,303 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 22 June 2020 - 19:16

Maybe OpenATV might adjust now... they are now not compatible with wat the BSP from the manufacturer 'says....'...

We're now parsing STARTUP_* files for slots (and modes) possible. Now when you like and the bootloader accepts it you also can manually add slots (no UI yet) that puts images on slot 5,6,7 .... on USB/HDD/SD.

There is nothing missed here at all... Actually it is the oposite as it is finally complete and the truth.

For openATV the Mode12 should be an easy fix... They should see the Mode 12 startup files and simply copy a boot Startup file to the main STARTUP file and then reboot... (instead of create a hardcoded one)...

In addtion we also still have a fallback when the Mode12 startup files do not exist...

Edited by littlesat, 22 June 2020 - 19:22.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #26 mikel

• 441 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 October 2020 - 16:56

Hello Littlesat,

why is it so difficult here, before May 2019 it worked or you cannot use the H9 multiboot menu here

integrate / adapt? There all the different images are compatible with each other, you can even install an image of your choice online at the touch of a button. Is the H7 and identical boxes too old for this system, too much work or does it have something to do with the chip?

Such a step backwards under Linux for such a fine box (Zgemma H7).

Greetings Mikel

Edited by mikel, 6 October 2020 - 16:57.

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #27 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,679 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 6 October 2020 - 17:06

There is an old multiboot mechanism and a new one. The manufacturer switched it in their BSP between Release 7.2 and 7.3.

So OpenPLi 7.2 uses the old mechanism (which doesn't accept images using the new one), and OpenPLi 7.3 uses the new mechanism (which doesn't accept images using the old one).

Some image makers have choses to support both methods because they make their own BSP's. OpenPLi doesn't, and therefore hasn't. It is a minor issue imho as there aren't a lot of reasons to want to run an old image...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #28 mikel

• 441 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 October 2020 - 18:01

Thanks for the information,

will something change there in the future?
Cooperation with OE-Alliance Images?
What should you do with multiboot if you can't use your desired images as usual?

Greetings Mikel

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #29 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27,409 posts

+395
Excellent

Posted 6 October 2020 - 18:06

I wouldn’t count on it that this will ever will change. As Wanwizard already mentioned ‘we’ don’t really see the necessity of putting older images in multiboot where most users just want the latest images or the ones with a higher number.

Regarding the cooperation with OE-Alliance my respons would be never say ‘never’. :)
I don’t expect this will happen from about November this year. ;)

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #30 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 6 October 2020 - 18:17

And in addition - some image makers using image_usb for multiboot image and image_emmc for usb flash. Very fun.

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #31 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,679 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 6 October 2020 - 18:31

Cooperation with OE-Alliance Images?

There is no coorperation needed. New ATV images work fine on OpenPLi 7.3+, Old ATV images work fine on OpenPLi 7.2-.

The only thing that doesn't work is an old-style image on a new-style OpenPLi. That problem will automatically disappear with the need to run antique image versions....

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #32 mikel

• 441 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 October 2020 - 08:55

Selection of the individual startups / mode 12 from the individual images does not work at all, this is a mess if you want to start something, you have already written here. Have you tested that or has something changed recently?

Functioning multiboot is something different for me, like with the Zgemma H9 and identical boxes!

So, on a construction site that has such a good box like H7 ect. didn't deserve, or I don't need a multiboot if that doesn't work properly.

Re: HD51 huge multiboot problem. #33 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 7 October 2020 - 09:31

- Mode 1/12 works well on H7

- Multiboot on H7 works well

- H9 has not multiboot

Howgh

Edited by ims, 7 October 2020 - 09:32.

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!