Photo

One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images.

• Please log in to reply
772 replies to this topic

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #681 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,604 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 15:24

:thumbs-up:

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #682 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 17:35

https://github.com/OpenEnigma2 is up with the first version of the general module.

Other teams could ask for invitation.

I'm sending PRs to PLi metas regarding some needed variables.

Open Vision sources: https://github.com/OpenVisionE2

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #683 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,604 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 17:46

I'll have a look at it after we've released 8.0, currenty I'm trying to keep develop stable to make last-minute bugfixing easier.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #684 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,247 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 18:41

https://github.com/OpenEnigma2 is up with the first version of the general module.

So you have opted not to go for a neutral repo.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #685 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,604 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 18:46

We can always rename it if someone comes up with a better name. Github will automatically alter upstream links of any forked repo's.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #686 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,439 posts

+62
Good

Posted 20 December 2020 - 18:56

May I ask what is purpose of distro specific stuff? Surely those things should come under the remit of " how a distro creates/supplies the data is up to them"?

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #687 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 19:31

So you have opted not to go for a neutral repo.

The new organization doesn't have any other repo or extra member, what possibly more do expect?

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #688 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,247 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 19:33

Just out of interest why was it necessary to have "openvision" or "ov" in every single variable and function name?

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #689 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 19:42

May I ask what is purpose of distro specific stuff? Surely those things should come under the remit of " how a distro creates/supplies the data is up to them"?

Should we document what are we doing with our specific things? Clearly a big no.

As long as we keep it out of everyone else's compiling we're good to go.

Nobody would maintain our code and our code won't harm others.

The reason the code is public for everyone is to give others the opportunity to study/use the code otherwise it's easy to keep things to ourselves and don't let pirate teams come up with them.

Soon we'll see those teams on other forums talking about "being genius" ;)

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #690 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 19:55

Just out of interest why was it necessary to have "openvision" or "ov" in every single variable and function name?

OMG! O M G!

It's like Deja Vu each time!

If the names are this much important to you I suggest give it up and don't participate in this topic as it's not for people who just see in front of their nose and not the future.

You don't have a Vision you don't get what's a prototype, those are just function names and won't affect the outcome.

This is exactly why I asked for devs who understand how a kernel module works so I won't waste my time answering abnormal questions.

I'm done answering posts about names, grow up please.

And if you want to start your answer with writing "LOL" again, save it as it's boring.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #691 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,439 posts

+62
Good

Posted 20 December 2020 - 20:19

I don't know exactly who/what you mean by "our". What a Distro does with their code is up to them and should stay on their GIT. The "one proc for all" design should be just about the procs. Any plugin author/distro can just use what is there or request new functions when required.

The shared repository should avoid distro specific values. An implementation of "if this, do that, otherwise do the other, else do something else" is a bad design. we then go back, if manufacturer 1, or manufacturer 2, blah blah blah. 

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #692 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 20:51

I don't know exactly who/what you mean by "our". What a Distro does with their code is up to them and should stay on their GIT. The "one proc for all" design should be just about the procs. Any plugin author/distro can just use what is there or request new functions when required.

The shared repository should avoid distro specific values. An implementation of "if this, do that, otherwise do the other, else do something else" is a bad design. we then go back, if manufacturer 1, or manufacturer 2, blah blah blah. 

Don't you get this the prototype not the final code?

We have our own https://github.com/O...envision-module

We're not even using the new repo, it's for study and test.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #693 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,604 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 20:55

It is technically not handy to have to make two modules, one for generic and one for image specific nodes.

Having said that, what I think should happen is put the image specific code in a separate c file. So provide a dummy / empty file in this repo (so the module compiles without any added image specific stuff) but is allows the image builder to override the empty source file from the recipe.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #694 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,439 posts

+62
Good

Posted 20 December 2020 - 21:18

Surely any image specific files should be created by the image and not be included in the openhal? The openhal should be universal IMO. 

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #695 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 21:18

It is technically not handy to have to make two modules, one for generic and one for image specific nodes.

Having said that, what I think should happen is put the image specific code in a separate c file. So provide a dummy / empty file in this repo (so the module compiles without any added image specific stuff) but is allows the image builder to override the empty source file from the recipe.

I know what's their problem, they have problem with our name in this module and I'm happy to take all the extra code out and apply it as a private patch.

If you see they don't improve a single line of the code or finding any problem as all they see is our name.

It's no longer fun for me to work on this project, I'll sent the PRs if you wanted merge them I don't care anymore.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #696 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,439 posts

+62
Good

Posted 20 December 2020 - 21:20

Don't you get this the prototype not the final code?

We have our own https://github.com/O...envision-module

We're not even using the new repo, it's for study and test.

Your response does not make sense. Please rephrase.

Everybody understands the difference between prototype and final product. Not that there is a final product with an open ended project that has version control.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #697 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,604 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 21:45

I know what's their problem, they have problem with our name in this module and I'm happy to take all the extra code out and apply it as a private patch.

If you see they don't improve a single line of the code or finding any problem as all they see is our name.

It's no longer fun for me to work on this project, I'll sent the PRs if you wanted merge them I don't care anymore.

I hope you'll reconsider, as I think we're on the right way. As you say, it's a first attempt, it needs lots of fine tuning and input from everyone

I don't have time to look it it in detail, and propose improvement, until after 8.0-release, that currently takes up the little time I have...

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #698 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,247 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 22:27

I don't understand why you are getting so irate. I just want to know why the variables and function names all contain "openvision" or "ov". What purpose does that serve in increasing the readability of the code? To me it is just a cruft that makes the code harder to read.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #699 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 20 December 2020 - 23:18

Make it easier to read/work then as I don't care, there's a public git there which you can do whatever with it.

I'm not a developer I'm not a contributor I just like what I've done and the result is fine to me and we're using it in our projects.

This discussion is boring as hell as I have to do everything and answer about simple names all the time.

I'm sendig the last PRs for PLi's metas and then I'm out of this for good.

If you got to the final product pin me on github so we follow otherwise I see no other reason to participate in this topic.

Seems some people knew something from the start as they didn't post a thing.

Re: One proc file for detecting the MACHINE in all enigma2 images. #700 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,604 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 21 December 2020 - 00:26

I've seen your BSP PR's.

This is exactly why I have always said that implementation is and should be specific to each image.

I definitely don't want BSP changes, and BB variables in all sorts of places. We have a strict separation between the vendors responsibility and our responsibility, and I would like to keep it that way.

So please close them again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users