LetterBoxHD Plugin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrvica

• 1,218 posts

+80
Good

Posted 9 August 2020 - 06:44

on HD channels settings like letterbox, bestfit, panscan have no effect, they are just for SD channels, old 4:3 recordings look terribly strechted out, with some calculation it is possible to watch old 4:3 material proportional on HD channels, the plugin I made (called it LetterBoxHD, based onLetterBox plugin) reduces the picture width from 720 to new width 540 and puts the picture in the middle of the screen, proportion is ok 720/540 = 4:3, to get black bars left and right we slide the pictures to the left by (720 -540) / 2 = 90 pixels the plugin may not work on every box, some specific proc nodes are used,
/proc/stb/vmpeg/0/dst_width
/proc/stb/vmpeg/0/dst_left
on H7 I need to write a "0" to
/proc/stb/vmpeg/0/dst_apply
to apply the new settings
plugin starts as Sessionstart, so you won´t see it in Plugins or Extensions or elsewhere, it is enabled per global key, on H7 I use KEY_VMODE, keymap.xml looks like this

<keymap>    <map 
context="GlobalActions">        
<key id="KEY_VMODE" mapto="toggle_reduce" flags="m" 
/>    </map></keymap>

you may try another key i.e. KEY_TEXT if you don´t need Teletext or any other free key on your RC, just edit the delivered keymap.xml, on Pli KEY_VMODE is internally in use, I disabled it in /usr/share/enigma2/keymap.xml to get V.MODE key fully free so won´t colide with the plugin

<!--map context="InfobarVmodeButtonActions">    <key 
id="KEY_VMODE" mapto="vmodeSelection" flags="b"/></map-->

the picture width is not sticky, means when you switch over to another channel it gets resetted to 720, just unzip and copy to Extensions and restart Enigma2

Attached Files

Re: LetterBoxHD Plugin #2 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 9 August 2020 - 08:55

Why should you need this....? When it is hd it fits then no need to change it? The vmode key is already doing this for hd en sd when the aspect ratio does not fit! Playing with the size of the output video is a work-a-round.... when made then better consider to ‘improve’ the existing system.

Edited by littlesat, 9 August 2020 - 08:58.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: LetterBoxHD Plugin #3 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 14 August 2020 - 11:28

How the aspect ratio settings are used varies per reciever (or mostly brand). On VU+ for instance they also act on HD resolutions. Not always like you'd expect though.

Zgemma does it better in this respect as DVB has a rule that HD material can always ever only have one aspect ratio and that is 16:9. So broadcasters are required to add black bars where required to make the material into 16:9. 

This is of course no good solution, because broadcasters tend to place subtitles in the black bars, which makes it impossible to zoom them out. Also they tend to send incorrect aspect ratios and/or fix that up with unnecessary black bars.

What they SHOULD do is simply send the aspect ratio from the source material and the receiver will adapt, will add black bars or zoom, whatever the user configured. The subtitles should always be sent as separate stream, so the user can decide where they're placed.

But of course providers don't care.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users