Sleep & Standby HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vs2009

• 88 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 5 March 2021 - 11:19

Hello everyone. I wanted to ask you a question regarding the HDD rest to which I have not found an answer in the forum. I understand that it is a generic query, but I am not sure if it works the same in the different versions of OpenPLi and I say it because in my personal case I have OpenPLi 4.0 installed on my old DM800se which unfortunately no longer has support for the new versions .

The query is in relation to the sleep setting of the internal HDD of my receiver only to record movies and others. The Picons and the EPG are on a USB and in the skin there is no temperature data or the like.

For a long time I have configured that after 10 minutes without use the HDD goes to standby and that is how I thought it was working, but now I'm not sure about that.
A few days ago I had a problem with the internal HDD that I had installed for about 4 and a half years and when connecting it to the PC and using the Victoria program to analyze and repair some bad sectors, I realized that this program was telling me that the "Power -on time: Count of hours in power-on state ”indicated more than 39,000 hours. The point is that I have the previously indicated standby configuration and also the receiver goes to deep standby every night and turns on in the same way every morning, but the data of hours on as indicated by Victoria would be 4.5 years x 365 days / year x 24 hours a day = 39,420 hours.
My question is, despite having the hard disk in rest almost always and the receiver in deep rest half of the day, it still receives power and counts this as hours in service with the consequent wear or am I misinterpreting the data?

Yesterday looking for information I found the HDDSleep v1.72 plugin in the forum and configured it to go to standby after 10 minutes and also generate a log file to see how it behaves and the truth is that I see that every time I access it indicates in the log, both for the HDD and for the usb.
Is it also possible that my HDD sleep setting has not been working so far?

I would be grateful to receive some information on this.

Re: Sleep & Standby HDD #2 ccs

• 229 posts

+7
Neutral

Posted 5 March 2021 - 12:02

Daft question, but do you use timeshift?

test

Re: Sleep & Standby HDD #3 vs2009

• 88 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 5 March 2021 - 12:24

I don't use it, but I do frequent local network streaming, but not the content of the hdd. Two days ago I installed a new HDD, because the old one after 32,000 hours on is in poor condition although it continues to work and instead of showing me the Victoria and CrystalDiskInfo programs the 45 hours that it has been installed as with the other HDD, I just show that it is 29 hours, which tells me that the first 24 hours of day 1 was on and since yesterday day 2 that I installed the HDDSleep plugin it is idle when it is not being used, which was expected. I'll keep checking and testing, but for now it seems that the standby configuration in the image did not work correctly for me and it does with the HDDSleep plugin.

Re: Sleep & Standby HDD #4 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,970 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2021 - 12:57

Show disk state.

In telnet:

hdparm -C /dev/sda

Edited by Dimitrij, 5 March 2021 - 13:04.

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: Sleep & Standby HDD #5 vs2009

• 88 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 5 March 2021 - 13:19

Ok, done.

/dev/sda:

drive state is:  standby

Re: Sleep & Standby HDD #6 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2021 - 16:53

I don’t know how the drive counts the power on time. Maybe really by „power was on“. Which means when the box is not in deep standby the drive gets power regardless whether the disks are really spinning or not.
Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Sleep & Standby HDD #7 vs2009

• 88 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 5 March 2021 - 18:43

It is possible that this is the case, but I do not understand why in that case it also counts in this way the hours that the receiver is in deep sleep, which are almost half of the day. From the calculations I made in post # 1, the "power on time" hours count for 24 hours every day since I install it. It is very strange at least for me, however, using the HDDSleep extension since yesterday, it does not count the hours that the HDD is in standby or the receiver is in deep rest, I checked today. I will continue with the tests.

Re: Sleep & Standby HDD #8 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 5 March 2021 - 20:00

The drive counts "something". The program which reads the data needs to know how to interprete it.

Only a quick search in google and I found this:

https://forums.unrai...-77086-9-years/
So it might be minutes and I also heard of drives counting in half hours.

Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users