OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 kapciu75

• 61 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2021 - 19:04

Dear OpenPLi users, could you report what WiFi chipsets are supported?
I am about to buy a WiFi dongle very soon.
I would appreciate if you could add supported chipsets in your posts to make a list.
Maybe there is some list already.
Is RTL8192CU chipset supported?

Kind regards guys. Stay safe.

Edited by kapciu75, 22 March 2021 - 19:07.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,590 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 22 March 2021 - 21:39

The fact that the chipset is supported doesn't mean every stick with that chip is. The driver must support the specific USB ID of the dongle.

For out of tree drivers the USB ID support is the same for all images, for kernel drivers it depends on the kernel version running on the box.

So its better to reverse the question: tell us which dongle you are looking at, and for which box, and we can answer more specific.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #3 kapciu75

• 61 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2021 - 15:43

Dear WanWizard,

I have Netis WF2123 and WiFi Ferguson W02.
First one is based on RTL8192CU, the second one on RT5370.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by kapciu75, 23 March 2021 - 15:51.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,590 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 23 March 2021 - 16:55

If you already have them, plug them into a PC, and retrieve the USB ID.

In Linux, use the "lsusb" command.

In Windows, go to Control Panel > Device Manager and find your USB device. Double click the device or right click and select Properties. Go to the Details tab and select Hardware ID to view its PID and VID.

A USB ID is in the form 0000:0000, the first part being the vendor ID (VID), the second part being the product ID (PID).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #5 kapciu75

• 61 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2021 - 21:35

Netis WF2123 Dongle:

USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8178&REV_0200
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8178

Ferguson W02 WiFi Dongle:
USB\VID_148F&PID_5370&REV_0101
USB\VID_148F&PID_5370

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,590 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 23 March 2021 - 22:28

Thanks.

The first one, 8178:0BDA, is serviced by the rtl8192cu driver, which is a supported kernel driver in all images (you need to install both kernel driver and firmware packages).

The second one, 5370:148Fis serviced by the rt2800usb driver, which is a supported kernel driver in all images.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #7 kapciu75

• 61 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2021 - 13:41

Thanks.

The first one, 8178:0BDA, is serviced by the rtl8192cu driver, which is a supported kernel driver in all images (you need to install both kernel driver and firmware packages).

Is there any telnet command to install both?
I do not see the proper driver in OpenPLi feed.
Am I missing something?
Please forgive me if it is a lame question.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #8 s3n0

• 641 posts

+62
Good

Posted 24 March 2021 - 14:21

- to list all available packages on feed:

opkg update
opkg list | grep rtl8192

- to install a specific package, use the following command:

opkg install <specific_package_name>     # note: use the package name ! don't confuse this with the name of the IPK file

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #9 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,590 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2021 - 14:45

I do not see the proper driver in OpenPLi feed.

As it is not a plugin, you won't find it there, and creating meta packages is still on the todo list.

You can also use the software management plugin (advanced options,  package management).

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #10 kapciu75

• 61 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2021 - 15:01

Thank you for your help and quick reply.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #11 pedy

• 25 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 April 2023 - 21:09

Hi I have installed Openpli 8.3 image, my box is ET6000 but this image does not have WLAN capability, I am using dongle TL-WN725N with RTL8192cu chipset, please help me how to enable wireless on the box, thank you

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #12 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 18 April 2023 - 22:12

Have you installed the driver as described above?

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #13 s3n0

• 641 posts

+62
Good

Posted 19 April 2023 - 07:31

Hi.

This chipset should be directly supported in OpenPLi 8:
kernel-module-rtl8192cu-3.13.5_3.13.5-r1.7.4.9_vusolose.ipk

Just install it + restart the set-top box. You install it, for example, via Pluing-MENU (Enigma2 GUI) or via Linux Shell:

init 4
opkg update
opkg install kernel-module-rtl8192cu
reboot

But I'm not sure if it's not necessary to install the utility software as well. I don't know how it works in OpenPLi exactly. Is this probably just a kernel driver? I don't know if only this driver is enough. Maybe yes. Maybe there are dependencies in the IPK package that always install other necessary packages (WiFi setup). Or it is already directly included in the OpenPLi algorithm. I don't know because I'm not using OpenPLi Enigma2 at the moment. Sorry.

Edited by s3n0, 19 April 2023 - 07:33.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #14 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 19 April 2023 - 14:23

You need

opkg install firmware-rtl8192cu

too...

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #15 pedy

• 25 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 April 2023 - 00:50

Hi.

Just install it + restart the set-top box. You install it, for example, via Pluing-MENU (Enigma2 GUI) or via Linux Shell:

init 4
opkg update

Hi.

init 4
opkg update
reboot

But I'm not sure if it's not necessary to install the utility software as well. I don't know how it works in OpenPLi exactly. Is this probably just a kernel driver? I don't know if only this driver is enough. Maybe yes. Maybe there are dependencies in the IPK package that always install other necessary packages (WiFi setup). Or it is already directly included in the OpenPLi algorithm. I don't know because I'm not using OpenPLi Enigma2 at the moment. Sorry.

reboot

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #16 pedy

• 25 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 April 2023 - 00:50

Thank you for your reply, my good friend. If possible, please give me some guidance on how and with what tool to execute this command, should I use dcc or is there another solution? First of all, I apologize for being a beginner.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #17 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:08

These are commandline commands, so yes, telnet, ssh or some tool that provide that function like dcc.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #18 s3n0

• 641 posts

+62
Good

Posted 21 April 2023 - 07:48

As I already wrote... you use a terminal connection or PLUGIN MENU to install two packages ("firmware" package as Neo writes and also as I write, additionally this "kernel-module" package).

The PuTTY application on a Windows PC is most often used for terminal connection. There is no problem in the Linux system, because there are usually more terminal applications.

Find out the IP address of the set-top box in its configuration (in MENU) or via your WIFI router. Then use this IP address in a new "session", under the PuTTY terminal application. Choose the Telnet or SSH communication protocol. When login process is asked for a password, try to press only the ENTER key.

All done. Now you can write commands in the Linux-Shell (in the open terminal window, in the connection between your PC and the set-top box).

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #19 s3n0

• 641 posts

+62
Good

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:55

BTW...

If you don't have internet access...

Download the packages on your PC - via a web browser. Then... place them on a USB stick. Then insert the USB stick into the set-top box and install these packages from the USB stick. This can also be installed through the GUI MENU in Enigma2 (if I'm not mistaken). Install them in order from top to bottom - as shown:

http://downloads.ope...51-r0.5_all.ipk

http://downloads.ope...3.12_et6x00.ipk

Then please... reboot your set-top box.

Warnings:

- these packages will expire soon (there will be newer versions)... so if you want to use these IPK packs, download and use them within a few days

- you really have to have OpenPLi 8.3 because of the need for linux-kernel v3.8.7

But it would be better if he connected the set-top box to some network where the Internet works and where it is possible to connect to the set-top box through a terminal. :-)

Edited by s3n0, 21 April 2023 - 08:57.

Re: OpenPLi supported WiFi chipsets #20 pedy

• 25 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 April 2023 - 21:40

Thanks to all my good friends for their answers and guidance, dear friend s3n0, unfortunately, none of the packages you posted can be downloaded, please explain how to access them? thank you again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users