5 replies to this topic

#1 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 30 December 2021 - 13:12

Does anyone have this protection enabled? I only think it's an issue in a shared-hosted virtual environment. Would anyone like to comment?

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

Re: Spectre/Meltdown #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 30 December 2021 - 13:45

Anything that is up to date should be patched against these vulnerabilities.

Technically, it is an issue on any platform where you run code that you haven't written yourself (an exploit can be present anywhere). Whether or not it is an issue I think depends on the probability of it happening.

In our case, both our ESX farm and the kernels of the Guest OSses have been patched, and so have our security appliances.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Spectre/Meltdown #3 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 30 December 2021 - 13:49

Good to hear ;) can you comment on this protection feature/option in DSM (Synology) eg. enable it or not, as I think it's only an issue in a shared-hosted virtual environment?

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

Re: Spectre/Meltdown #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 30 December 2021 - 14:04

You refer to the "Kernel Page-Table Isolation" option?

I've just checked, and I don't have it enabled. So I can't comment on the performance impact, but we haven't seen any measurable impact on other platforms. Guess you have to test it.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Spectre/Meltdown #5 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 30 December 2021 - 14:24

Yes, I was referring to KPTI

Re: Spectre/Meltdown #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 30 December 2021 - 15:13

I think on a standard DSM, there isn't much change of foreign applications trying to use these vulnarabilities.

It might be different if you use third-party application feed, sideload spk's, or run docker. But I can't comment, I don't do any of that on mine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Synology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users