Photo

Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Internaut

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 January 2022 - 17:27

I have a setup with several DiSEqC-switches (too many for my own sanity), at the moment two DiSEqC-motors (third motor lying around in the living room), at the moment four antennas, and of course several receivers.

I try different Enigma2 images, different receivers, and every time I setup a new image (or new "LNB") I have to enter my longitude/latitude (again, and again, and again...  ), to get rid of the default "05.100 E and 50.767 N".

Is there a way to set longitude/latitude ONCE, and have it the same for ALL LNBs? This would be really nice! :thumbs-up:

After all, my LNBs hopefully stay all at the same location! :D

Current DVB-S: GigaBlue UE 4k (2xFBC + 2xMS), Octagon SF8008 Twin (2xMS), SF8008m Combo (1xMS + 1xDVB-T/C), OpenBox SX4 HD (1xDVB-S2)

History DVB-S: DM800HDse, VU+ Solo, OpenBox X820CI, DBox1 (DVB98)

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #2 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 8 January 2022 - 17:50

Is there a way to set longitude/latitude ONCE, and have it the same for ALL LNBs?

Set the same LNB number for each tuner.

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #3 Internaut

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 January 2022 - 19:21

Is there a way to set longitude/latitude ONCE, and have it the same for ALL LNBs?

Set the same LNB number for each tuner.

Sorry that does not work...

First of all, even if I use the same LNB number, I have to set it for each tuner! LNB 64 for Tuner A is fully independent from LNB 64 for Tuner B!

(And who would even want to set different locations, I really don't understand.)

Secondly, I have a "small" antenna that can "see" all satellites, but receive with less dB than my "big" antenna. The big antenna is mounted at different side of the house, and is blocked for part of the sky. So some satellites I can receive only with big motor antenna at Tuner A, but not small motor antenna Tuner B. Some satellites its the other way round. So I set in OpenPLI different LNBs, with different priorities.

(Again, who would even want to set different locations...)

Edited by Internaut, 8 January 2022 - 19:22.

Current DVB-S: GigaBlue UE 4k (2xFBC + 2xMS), Octagon SF8008 Twin (2xMS), SF8008m Combo (1xMS + 1xDVB-T/C), OpenBox SX4 HD (1xDVB-S2)

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #4 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 8 January 2022 - 19:28

Example:

Tuner A

sat 1--> LNB 1(use Usals)

sat 50--> LNB 1(use Usals)

For sat 1-50 applied same longitude/latitude

Edited by Dimitrij, 8 January 2022 - 19:30.

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #5 Internaut

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 January 2022 - 22:35

Example config:

Antenna 1 with Motor 1 is connected to Tuner A

Antenna 2 with Motor 2 is connected to Tuner B

I need to give different priorities to different satellites, so I need (at least) two LNBs per Tuner.

So I need (at absolute minimum):

Tuner A, LNB 1 (low priority , e.g. 39East, ...)

Tuner A, LNB 2 (high priority, e.g. 22West, 5West, ...)

Tuner B, LNB 1 (low priority, e.g. 5West ...)

Tuner B, LNB 2 (high priority, e.g. 39East, 42East, ...)

So I have to enter the location four times...

And sometimes I need to test things, and for this I need to set up more LNBs in OpenPLI - sorry. :-(

And every time I forget to set the location the sat does not work, and I have not idea why...

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #6 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 9 January 2022 - 09:19

Internaut

Your request is very individual.

Even if you have to enter data four times, is that a lot?

I am against this proposal.

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #7 Internaut

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 9 January 2022 - 16:33

Internaut

Your request is very individual.

Even if you have to enter data four times, is that a lot?

I have glitchy problems with my new receiver and OpenPLI. So I try to track down this problem (to write something here in the forum that someone here in the forum can investigate). So I install new OpenPlI. I install older OpenPLI. I try old settings. I try fresh settings. Again and again and again. Sometimes the problem is here, sometimes not, sometimes it comes later.

I have entered these coordinates about 30 times in the last two days. I forgot to enter it about 4 times, and wasted time until I realized what was wrong. It is really really really annoying.

(Also I have entered in the past these coordinates for both my Octagon receivers, both my Dreamboxes, and I had to reinstall OpenPLI more than once for those: So yeah, it is annoying.)

Edited by Internaut, 9 January 2022 - 16:37.

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #8 Internaut

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 9 January 2022 - 16:37

I am not proposing anything at the moment. I am asking: What COULD be done in the situation I describe?

(I don't know: Is this hardcoded in some cpp? Is there a config I could change via telnet/ftp? Is there a quick fix for me? Is this something I could put in a script, or in a python file? Any suggestion are welcome!)

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #9 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 9 January 2022 - 16:53

(I don't know: Is this hardcoded in some cpp? Is there a config I could change via telnet/ftp? Is there a quick fix for me? Is this something I could put in a script, or in a python file? Any suggestion are welcome!)

telnet:

init 4

edit manual /etc/enigma2/settings

config.Nims.x.advanced.lnb.1.longitude=18.650

telnet:

init 3

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #10 el bandido

• 360 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 9 January 2022 - 17:45

This is a situation where you fix something for one person, then you will break something else for other users.
USALS is abused and not set correctly by a lot of user's. Instead of taking the time needed to correctly align the dish, they change their location by a slight amount to make the dish track the arc correctly. So if you code the image entry for every USALS location then you will end the ability to make adjustments by changing the USALS location for other users.

Things Are the way they Are for reasons. This includes the USALS settings.

As an alternative, you may edit the NimManager in the receiver's files to set the default USALS coordinates to your desired location. The NimManager file is updated at times, so you will need to pay attention and use the latest version. In other words, this will be something you will need to keep an eye on and maintain when image versions update or change.

Also, as already mentioned, you may edit the settings file located in /etc/enigma2 by using telnet commands and an editor. I have an actuator that drives the c band dish and a ku motor, plus a couple more satellite dish antennas. I simply copy the nims from one settings file to another for image changes instead of spending around 15 minutes each time setting the dish system up.

Probably something is not right or set correctly in your antenna system or hardware. You seem to be having some problems or issues that are beyond the receiver or image. The enigma2 image is not perfect, but you may adjust things to suit your needs. What works for one person may not work for another.

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #11 rhinoceros

• 569 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 21 January 2022 - 14:55

It may sometimes be difficult to orientate the dish exact as it should be. A change that should make everybody happy and that would make technical sense is to define the geolocation as a default setting for all LNB's. That is a new setting that does not exist today. At the same time the present setting at the LNB level could then be used as an offset correction for those LNB's that are difficult to align correctly. But this is a breaking change for all LNB's that use a modified USALS location because the values need to be entered when the software modification is applied.

"Het enige wat we leren van de geschiedenis is dat we niets leren van geschiedenis.", Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, 1831

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #12 rhinoceros

• 569 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 21 January 2022 - 15:07

Perhaps it does not need to be a breaking change if the offset is added to the true USALS geolocation and that location is initialised as 0,0.

"Het enige wat we leren van de geschiedenis is dat we niets leren van geschiedenis.", Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, 1831

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #13 el bandido

• 360 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 21 January 2022 - 15:51

Good idea, but where does geolocation get its location from? FTA receivers do not have gps. The USALS location needs to be accurate.

Re: Setting default Longitude/Latitude for rotor (instead of 005.100 East, 050.767 North) #14 rhinoceros

• 569 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 22 January 2022 - 14:55

Of course, but the geolocation must be user entry. It is exactly the same field that we now have in the LNB to specify the location. In this modification, the user wil have to enter exactly the same information in the geo field that is now in the LNB. In case the user modified this field because of incorrect dish alignment, then the correction will be entered in the LNB field. But the true geo location will still be in the same field that will be used by all LNB's.

There is no extra information added because of the modification. The only thing that happens is that the location field that is now used in the LNB will be split into 2 fields, one that is the box geo location in a field for all LNB's and a correction field for each LNB to store the deviation of the first (default field). So, the LNB location will be calculated by adding the correction field to the default field value. Since the default field value is initialised to zero, all existing users settings will show a default location of 0,0, and the LNB location of x,y, wherever the box is. When setting up or changeing, the user should set the default field equal to the box location and the offset field per LNB to 0,0 if no correction is needed. If needed, this correction can be made in this field without altering the default field, which is supposed to be the location where the box is installed.

Edited by rhinoceros, 22 January 2022 - 15:04.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users