3 replies to this topic

#1 zwdpacjent

• 10 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2022 - 22:20

Hi All

Thanks for having me here. 

I was wondering if there is a safe and robust way to protect the openpli sat receiver from unwanted root password changes ? (not including low level flash via usb - as long as my data is also wiped then Im happy) I know my way around linux platform but I rather ask before I break my own Vu+. I dont have time for another sw installations atm. I understand that Change Root Password apk can also change the password, hence my question to OpenPli devs. 

Please kindly advise. Many thanks !

Re: OpenPli root Password Protection? #2 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 2 February 2022 - 23:24

Afaik, any method (including the Change Password plugin) to change the root password requires the old password. Except... if one accesses the box with Samba, one can edit /etc/shadow without a password.

You could make the file immutable: chattr +i /etc/shadow

Now the only way to change the file through Samba is to make it mutable again... which requires the root password.

Sorry to inform you this member, my brother, passed away.

Re: OpenPli root Password Protection? #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,612 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 2 February 2022 - 23:30

In smb-user.conf, remove the # in front of the smb-secure.conf include, and anonymous access via samba is disabled.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OpenPli root Password Protection? #4 zwdpacjent

• 10 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2022 - 12:26

Thank you very much both for the support. Tested & working well.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users