Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Youpla

• 47 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 April 2022 - 14:12

Hello,

Did anyone manage to successfully recompress a film including DVB subtitles ?

I own a VU+ DUO² with a DVB-T tuner and I'm willing to compress some of my recorded movies (french numeric TV) for archiving.

These movies are MPEGTS files with, typically, one video stream, 3 audio streams, and 2 subtitle streams (DVD subtitles for hearing impaired and DVB subtitles).

Let's say I want to compress and remux video stream + audio streams n°1 and n°0 + DVB subtitles.
I would use the following command line :

./ffmpeg -i input.ts -map 0:v:0 -map 0:a:1 -map 0:a:0 -map 0:s:1 -vcodec h264 -acodec aac -scodec copy out.ts

I can check with ffprobe that everything is correctly muxed :

./ffprobe out.ts

Input #0, mpegts, from '.\out.ts':
  Duration: 00:01:02.52, start: 1.400000, bitrate: 3173 kb/s
  Program 1
    Metadata:
      service_name    : Service01
      service_provider: FFmpeg
  Stream #0:0[0x100]: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p(tv, bt709, progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn
  Stream #0:1[0x101](qaa): Audio: aac (LC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 130 kb/s
  Stream #0:2[0x102](fra): Audio: aac (LC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 130 kb/s
  Stream #0:3[0x103](fra): Subtitle: dvb_subtitle ([6][0][0][0] / 0x0006)

And when I play the file on my PC with VLC, all streams are working fine, including subtitles  :thumbs-up: 

BUT when I play the file on my Duo², the subtitles don't work. I mean I can select them in the menu but they won't display :(

My system is OpenPLI 7.3 with default media player.
Does anyone understand why media player won't display DVB Subtitles while VLC does ?

Optional question : what is the name of the process in charge of playing videos in OpenPLI ?

Thx.

Edited by Youpla, 22 April 2022 - 14:19.

VU+ DUO²  - OpenPLI 7.3 8.1 back to 7.3 for now.

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2022 - 14:19

There is only one process: enigma2, which runs the GUI and does everything. It uses gstreamer to read media files and translates them to something suitable for the dvbmediasink.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #3 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,782 posts

+186
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2022 - 14:28

So you want to compress with h264? Are you a Windows user ?

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #4 Taykun345

• 1,296 posts

+41
Good

Posted 22 April 2022 - 15:32

Have you also tried some other media player like MPC? VLC can mask a possible problem.

Army MoodBlue HD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...-MoodBlueHD-mod
Matrix10 MH-HD2 skin modification by me: https://github.com/B...-MX-HD2-OpenPli
MetrixHD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...xHD-WPstyle-mod
Slovenian translation for OpenPLi E2: https://github.com/T...ion-for-OpenPLi

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #5 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 22 April 2022 - 16:16

I tried with a h264 input file (shouldn't matter) and it works fine (on OpenPLi 8.1). It takes about 15 seconds though for the subtitles to kick in after turning them on. If I then "reset playback position" and replay, subtitle display is instantaneous.

Sorry to inform you this member, my brother, passed away.

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #6 Youpla

• 47 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 April 2022 - 16:39

There is only one process: enigma2, which runs the GUI and does everything. It uses gstreamer to read media files and translates them to something suitable for the dvbmediasink.

Thank you, maybe I should submit my problem to gstreamer developers ?

So you want to compress with h264? Are you a Windows user ?

I want to compress AND keep the DVB subtitles in a separated stream. I also want to keep multiple audio streams but that I manage.
I'am a windows user but I also have linux in Vitual Machine.

Have you also tried some other media player like MPC? VLC can mask a possible problem.

I just made the test with MPC and it worked at first try with absolutely no warning. Thanks for the idea.

For those who would be willing to test by themselves, I made a 1 minute (25MB) file which is the result of the above command line.
VLC and MPC can play subtitles, but my Duo² can't.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #7 Youpla

• 47 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 April 2022 - 16:44

I tried with a h264 input file (shouldn't matter) and it works fine (on OpenPLi 8.1). It takes about 15 seconds though for the subtitles to kick in after turning them on. If I then "reset playback position" and replay, subtitle display is instantaneous.

I know Enigma2 takes some time to display subtitles sometime, so I waited way more than 15 seconds to be sure.

Can you test to file I provided in my previous message, select the subtitles and tell me if they show in your device ?

Edited by Youpla, 22 April 2022 - 16:44.

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #8 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 22 April 2022 - 16:47

Can you test to file I provided in my previous message, select the subtitles and tell me if they show in your device ?

I tried your file. Subs kick in 15 seconds after turning them on. On OpenPLi 8.1. When I stop playback, "reset playback position" and replay, subs display is instantaneous.

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #9 Youpla

• 47 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 April 2022 - 20:04

I tried your file. Subs kick in 15 seconds after turning them on. On OpenPLi 8.1. When I stop playback, "reset playback position" and replay, subs display is instantaneous.

oh... that's unexpected. Thanks for doing the test.
I hope upgrading to 8.1 will solve the problem then.

I'll update the topic when it's done (later).

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #10 Youpla

• 47 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 April 2022 - 17:46

I updated to 8.1 and the subtitles still don't display. I flashed a second time and asked not to restore my settings, still no success.

Is it possible that the problem is specific to the Duo² ?

Re: Recompressing recorded movies with ffmpeg #11 scriptmelvin †

• PLi® Contributor
  • 720 posts

+46
Good

Posted 26 April 2022 - 19:33

Is it possible that the problem is specific to the Duo² ?

I guess it's possible. As far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) subs are displayed on the frame buffer, which has a finite number of layers. The number of layers might differ between boxes. I doubt that the Duo² doesn't have enough layers for subs, though.

I do have ServiceApp installed, that also might make a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users