Photo

HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 June 2022 - 13:53

Hi, I have one of this moderns LED TV that when I plug on one od the HDMI ports some new thing it identifies it and for most of them puts an iicon and the machine name auto on that input, like I connected a Nintendo Switch ad I got a red circle with switch logo inside and labeled the input as Nintendo Switch, the same to the input I connect an Chromecast TV and so on.

So my question is on the enigma2 receiver if this is implemented or not since the first time I plug my Gigablue UE 4K with the latest OpenPli the negotiation started but didn't do nothing automatically.

I think that this should be easy to implement if not already.

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 26 June 2022 - 14:04

My Samsung has no problem seeing my SF8008 and name it as such. I assume you have enabled HDMI-CEC, as it is disabled by default?

I checked the specs, but there is no CEC command to send a logo of some sort, so I assume your TV has a library of common device logos.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #3 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 June 2022 - 14:37

Yes CEC is enabled on the receiver and because of that I even can use the TV remote to control the receiver.

I also have a samsung, a Q80T model.

Going to do further tests and try to reset the HDMI input I'm using for the receiver.

One of the tricks to that is turn off TV also the power cord from the wall and let it stay for 1m, them disconnect the HDMI cable.

After some time power on TV and the receiver and while booth on reconnect the HDMI cable so the negotiation start again.

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #4 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 June 2022 - 14:57

Ok I did the reset trick and now was auto detected as a Primacom box. 

This is a leading communication solution provider in Indonesia, according to google.  :D

Did a second try resetting the input and now didn't identify nothing and say is "unknow".

Something is not 100%, or could this be depended of what channel/provider I was watching when I reconnect the HDMI cable?

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 26 June 2022 - 15:24

I have no idea how it tries to detect what box it is, there aren't that many CEC commands for it.

The one it should use is get_device_name, which should (and in my case does) return the hostname of the box.

I think your Samsung is trying to be too clever.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #6 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 June 2022 - 15:32

Yes I see, and all OpenPli images have that identical independent the receiver brand/version?

Is there a way that I can edit some conf file or the CEC plugin and hardcode the name I want to be put on the TV?

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 26 June 2022 - 15:33

It uses the hostname of the box, which is in /etc/hostname.

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #8 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 June 2022 - 16:37

Humm... my receiver has this:

root@gbue4k:~# cat /etc/hostname
gbue4k

but nothing like this passes to the TV, I only need to turn on CEC on the menu, no need to change any of the other settings on that menu, right?

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #9 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 26 June 2022 - 16:52

Depends on what kind of interaction between box and TV you want.

These are my settings:

Attached File  1_0_19_22C5_80D_2_11A0000_0_0_0_20220626165135.jpg   107.6KB   1 downloads

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #10 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 June 2022 - 17:03

Humm... my CEC address is different for start, could be that?

If yes how can I put the same value as in yours?

This is my current settings:

https://files.fm/thu...php?i=k6nahegga

(Sorry the forum says I can't use the image extension so I had to use an external link)

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:06

No, the CEC address depends on how everything is connected. It is automatically assigned. In this case my box is on input 1 of the TV, and yours is on input 2.

Please note that CEC is a single bus that connects every device connected, even if it is connected through another device (like a TV, which has an internal CEC switch), and every manufacturer has it's own CEC implementation, which might or might not be (fully) compatible with other manufacturers, and we also don't know to what level CEC is implemented in the drivers. It could very well be Gigablue hasn't implemented GetDeviceName().

So chances are if it doesn't work, it is never going to work. Give the input a fixed name instead, problem solved ;).

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:07

Sorry the forum says I can't use the image extension so I had to use an external link)

What was the extension?

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #13 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:11

To avoid the "you can't use the image extension", it is best to zip/rar/7-zip etc. the file and then post it, using "More Reply Options ", which is in the left corner below, after pressing it you have the option to attach files.

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #14 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 June 2022 - 21:34

Thanks for all the support.

Regarding the CEC I test with the official image just in case and it's the same, so since everything else works, like controlling with TV remote and the auto change input, standby, and so on I have to leave for now with the manual rename from the input. ; )

Going to open this problem in the Gigablue support forum and see what they also say.

About the image upload here, next time I need to use I'll test what you mention  40H3X.  ;)

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #15 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2022 - 21:38

There is also a HDMI test plugin in the feeds.

Install it, run it, and let your TV scan. Then you can see if the box gets a request to send the device name ( request 0x46 if memory serves me ).

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #16 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 June 2022 - 22:13

I did that already, but I didn't understand the monitor part, all I can do is send the commands with the green key.

I think for seeing what's passing by it's the monitor option with the yellow key, right?

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #17 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 June 2022 - 22:59

Ok I manage to put the monitor working.

This is what I get when reconnecting the cable on the HDMI input:

Attached Files

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 28 June 2022 - 13:21

So it does get the 0x46 command.

Unfortunately this only shows received commands, not the answer send back, so we're none the wiser now.

I've did some debugging here, my box logs

[eHdmiCEC] received message 46
[eHdmiCEC] send message 47 68 64 36 36 73 65

"47" is the SetDeviceName() command, and "68 64 36 36 73 65" is "hd66se", the name of my test box.

So the response is ok too.

I have a 24" Samsung TV in my office, connected to my test box, In the source list it says "HDMI-CEC hd66se".

So I'd say the implementation works, and the issues are down to interoperability problems between individual devices.

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #19 JamesBond

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 June 2022 - 18:12

So you are saying that when the box receives the 0x46 command it doesn't send back the 0x47 ?

Re: HDMI CEC TV icon/logo/image #20 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 28 June 2022 - 20:06

No, I am saying it does. And my Samsung 24" gets it and displays it.

I'm also saying that there is enough leaway in the protocol definition to create interoperabilities, where box A works with TV X and not with TV Y, where box B works fine with both, and box C with none.

And sometimes the implementation is so bad, like with the Xtrend ET10000, that when you connect it, all CEC stops working, even from devices on other TV inputs. And the other way around, other devices can also influence the box.

So CEC is a typical case of YMMV :). Either it works, or it doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users