GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Marko1305

• 140 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 22 January 2023 - 17:33

Which one has better performance for playing IPTV channels from bouquets? What are the differences?

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #2 gunner41

• 133 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 January 2023 - 21:56

Depends very much on your supplier. Some streams are better with GStreamer, some with Exteplayer. Thats my experience over the last couple of years using Streams on my Enigma2 Box.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #3 Marko1305

• 140 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 23 January 2023 - 00:12

Which one is better for 4k channels and hlg hdr?

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #4 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,799 posts

+83
Good

Posted 23 January 2023 - 00:23

Nobody can tell you that.
Especially not without the knowledge of your box.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #5 tigrousad

• 64 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 January 2023 - 20:23

Gstreamer is better with iptv channels.. far so far

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #6 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,799 posts

+83
Good

Posted 28 January 2023 - 23:36

No that is not correct.
In addition, even the gst uses the libav of the ffmpeg.

Enigma2 and gst are very closely related in origin.
It also works completely without gst, as hisi or sh4 have always shown and are showing.

But it doesn't matter, you will always have to respond to the changed claims anew.
Both media framework types must be constantly evaluated.
Media files change.

For me
The gst has only been equivalent to the ffmpeg-based exteplayer3 since 1.16.
From 1.18 it works really well with the sync and also with the buffer (using a trick).
So that even I can completely do without the serviceapp with mipsel-box.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #7 boolean

• 215 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 8 January 2024 - 10:22

For me
The gst has only been equivalent to the ffmpeg-based exteplayer3 since 1.16.
From 1.18 it works really well with the sync and also with the buffer (using a trick).
So that even I can completely do without the serviceapp with mipsel-box.

I know this thread is almost a year old, but I find it interesting that you don't need ExtEplayer3 for IPTV. When using the default GStreamer multimedia-framework, 4K IPTV channels (with or without HLG) stutter like crazy. Did you do anything special to GStreamer to make it work, or haven't you tried UHD IPTV channels yet?

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #8 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,329 posts

+46
Good

Posted 8 January 2024 - 11:05

Depending on which box you using it. I play 4K channels without any issues and no shuttering on Vu+Duo4kSE.

Regarding ExtPlayer3 it is needed if the channel doesnt work in gstreamer but work through ffmpeg (which seems to be quite slower and require powerful box).

Vu+DUO4KSE, DM920UHD, Vu+Uno4KSE, SF8008Mini, Vu+Solo2, Dreambox DM500HD, Triax 78 (7E,9E,13E,19.2E,23.5E) & Triax 78 (39E)

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #9 boolean

• 215 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 8 January 2024 - 12:29

I've tried it on both Vu+ Uno 4K SE and Duo 4K SE with the same results (stuttering). When viewing 4K IPTV channels using GStreamer, both STB's struggle. However, when switching to ExtEplayer3 playback is flawless.

I'm still using GStreamer for 4097 and 5001, but I've tied IPTV to 5002 whish is using ExtEplayer3.

PS. This only applies to 4K IPTV. When tuning into a transponder with 4K channels, GStreamer is smooth as well.

Edited by boolean, 8 January 2024 - 12:29.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #10 Marko1305

• 140 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 8 January 2024 - 13:11

I have a weird issue with gstreamer on Zgemma H9S, it recognizes every signal as interlaced. Does it affect anything?

Edit: I found out now that Zgemma does not support gstreamer but uses servicehisilicon when using 4097 playback type.

Edited by Marko1305, 8 January 2024 - 13:19.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #11 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,329 posts

+46
Good

Posted 8 January 2024 - 14:02

I've tried it on both Vu+ Uno 4K SE and Duo 4K SE with the same results (stuttering). When viewing 4K IPTV channels using GStreamer, both STB's struggle. However, when switching to ExtEplayer3 playback is flawless.

I'm still using GStreamer for 4097 and 5001, but I've tied IPTV to 5002 whish is using ExtEplayer3.

PS. This only applies to 4K IPTV. When tuning into a transponder with 4K channels, GStreamer is smooth as well.

When displaying SAT 4K channels gstreamer doesnt work at all. It is only for iptv and local files.

Your problem might be due to your internet connection that cant handle the bandwidth of that specific 4K channel. Is this a public channel or private one? If it is public you may share it so to test how it behave.

Vu+DUO4KSE, DM920UHD, Vu+Uno4KSE, SF8008Mini, Vu+Solo2, Dreambox DM500HD, Triax 78 (7E,9E,13E,19.2E,23.5E) & Triax 78 (39E)

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 8 January 2024 - 14:33

Gstreamer doesn't come into play for DVB reception, that is all processed in hardware.

The only thing gstreamer (and ffmpeg via exteplayer3) does is convert media types not supported by the hardware so something the hardware does support.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #13 boolean

• 215 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 8 January 2024 - 21:27

When displaying SAT 4K channels gstreamer doesnt work at all. It is only for iptv and local files.

Your problem might be due to your internet connection that cant handle the bandwidth of that specific 4K channel. Is this a public channel or private one? If it is public you may share it so to test how it behave.

I didn't know that. That probably explains why 4K streams received through DVB-S weren't affected. However, I've tested these scenarios:

Vu+ Uno 4K SE

GStreamer: major stuttering when playing 4K HLG 50p IPTV streams

GStreamer: 100% smooth playback using 4K 24p VOD IPTV streams

ExtEplayer3: 100% smooth playback using the same 4K HLG 50p IPTV stream

ExtEplayer3: 100% smooth playback using the same 4K 24p VOD IPTV stream

Vu+ Duo 4K SE

GStreamer: major stuttering when playing 4K HLG 50p IPTV streams

GStreamer: 100% smooth playback using 4K 24p VOD IPTV streams

ExtEplayer3: 100% smooth playback using the same 4K HLG 50p IPTV stream

ExtEplayer3: 100% smooth playback using the same 4K 24p VOD IPTV stream

DVB-S: 100% smooth playback selecting a random 4K satellite stream

The results are consistent and I can easily reproduce them. It has nothing to do with bandwidth, otherwise ExtEplayer3 would stutter as well.

Gstreamer doesn't come into play for DVB reception, that is all processed in hardware.

The only thing gstreamer (and ffmpeg via exteplayer3) does is convert media types not supported by the hardware so something the hardware does support.

I wasn't aware of that. I've always thought that the GStreamer multimedia-framework was used to handle all streams, even if the hardware natively supports the transport stream and codec. Thanks for enlightening me!

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #14 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 8 January 2024 - 22:39

No, it is the other way around, servicemp3 (ignore the legacy name) knows what the hardware supports (this is defined at compile time), and calls gstreamer for any formats not on the supported list.

Some boxes with a HiSilicon SoC (notably zgemma and mutant) don't use that, but have a servicehisilicon, which like exteplayer3 is a derivative of eplayer3, and which uses ffmpeg to recode instead of gstreamer.

As it is obvious where the problem is, it might be worth while to debug that, and do a gstreamer pipeline trace. Gstreamer pipelines are complex business, and we've lost the expert in our team a few years ago.

Ideally all this serviceapp stuff should not be needed, all media (streams of files) should be playable via the same solution, but there seems to be a tendency to work around issues instead of fixing them. And in case of exteplayer3, ego as well (didn't last, the project was soon abandoned).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #15 XRayhTec

• 439 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 9 January 2024 - 13:01

No, it is the other way around, servicemp3 (ignore the legacy name) knows what the hardware supports (this is defined at compile time), and calls gstreamer for any formats not on the supported list.

Are you sure?

GStreamer (playbin) is called for the formats (extensions) defined in the list.

607xRAYHTECV13

ET4x00RAYHTEC4.0

XP1000RAYHTEC7B

H9COMBORAYHTEC9b

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #16 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 9 January 2024 - 14:50

Different list, perhaps I should have been more clear.

When it gets to servicemp3, it was already determined the hardware can't process the format. The extension / mimetype list in servicemp3 is indeed the list of formats supported by servicemp3.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #17 XRayhTec

• 439 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 9 January 2024 - 21:43

What do you mean exactly?
In Movieselection.py and in the channellist choice for 4097 is made.

607xRAYHTECV13

ET4x00RAYHTEC4.0

XP1000RAYHTEC7B

H9COMBORAYHTEC9b

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,737
Excellent

Posted 10 January 2024 - 15:44

That is in case of a stream, where the type in the service ref dictates the media player to use. I was refering to media in general.

I have so say I have never tried to change a DVB broadcasted service to 4097 and see it if would play through gstreamer.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #19 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,329 posts

+46
Good

Posted 10 January 2024 - 15:51

No it will not play via gstreamer since it expect url of a stream. But you can play a stream that is dvb compliant trough DVB mediasink and via gstreamer and both of the play it just fine. The only difference is gstreamer reports different Audio track names and DVB subtitles doesnt run.

Re: GStreamer vs Exteplayer 3 for IPTV #20 XRayhTec

• 439 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 10 January 2024 - 23:44

It is still not clear what list you refer to.

607xRAYHTECV13

ET4x00RAYHTEC4.0

XP1000RAYHTEC7B

H9COMBORAYHTEC9b

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users