What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 chafpa

• 197 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 2 February 2023 - 11:18

What future for Vu+ ARM decoders when Python 3 is fully deployed ?

More specific question : is it risky to buy a Vu+ Duo 4K SE today to use OpenPli images ....... for how many years ?

Thank you for your insightful opinions.

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #2 mimisiku

• 5,462 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 2 February 2023 - 12:22

No one knows. VU+ is next to dead. As long as they are produced and OpenPli can support them.. No consumer electronics device is build for the long future… Build for 3 years.

Met één been in het graf..... Helaas

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #3 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27,402 posts

+394
Excellent

Posted 2 February 2023 - 13:19

Perhaps that Mimisiku means that depending his own experience hardware is build to work for about three years. However my Ultimo 4K which has to perform many hours a day, far more then moderate, still works like a charm. Mine is one of the pre production models from Vu+ so definitely one of the ‘oldest’ in the world.

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #4 mimisiku

• 5,462 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 2 February 2023 - 14:07

No, I meant that consumer electronics is build to last for 3 years (from the factories view) any longer is pure luck. Our EU warranty is probably our best protection. In the US only 90 day! warranty. If you want more you have to pay extra! It doesn’t mean that all devices die after exactly 3 years, many last longer. My old 2006 DM800-PVR still works.

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #5 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 3 February 2023 - 09:02

Hi,

I still have 2 very ole Solo2 and they are still supported and working. There are no products on the market, beside Teslas, which promise you new fantastic features in the future. You buy a product in the current state an hope the best. Enigma2 is more or less now a community project so I think that a lot of boxes will have support for a lot more years but not from the manufacturer. If every fails you can build your own image as it is open source :D

Ralf

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #6 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 3 February 2023 - 12:34

This has already been discussed the key points are:

- Broadcom (BCM) no longer provide SoC for the Enigma2 market, they will only provide operators.

- VU+ is in reality Marusys which produce boxes for Operators, they have been asked to choose either to continue to work for the Operators or for there "Enigma2/VU+" branch, they choose the first option. So there will be no more VU+ boxes.

- VU+ support was always very slow and it is now probably totally dead.  So would I personnally no longer recommend a friend to purchase a VU+.

- Once the remaining stocks are sold you will no longer find VU+ product.

So the only alternative is to switch to HiSilicon based STB and personnay I am quite happy with this HiSilicon SoC. They read much more image format than BCM SoC.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #7 chafpa

• 197 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 3 February 2023 - 13:09

So the only alternative is to switch to HiSilicon based STB and personnay I am quite happy with this HiSilicon SoC. They read much more image format than BCM SoC.

A recommendation on new product(s) would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #8 piplan1966

• 203 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 3 February 2023 - 13:21

This has already been discussed the key points are:

- Broadcom (BCM) no longer provide SoC for the Enigma2 market, they will only provide operators.

- VU+ is in reality Marusys which produce boxes for Operators, they have been asked to choose either to continue to work for the Operators or for there "Enigma2/VU+" branch, they choose the first option. So there will be no more VU+ boxes.

- VU+ support was always very slow and it is now probably totally dead.  So would I personnally no longer recommend a friend to purchase a VU+.

- Once the remaining stocks are sold you will no longer find VU+ product.

Hi
What do you mean by this, will the Vu Plus company completely disappear or will the name of the box be changed?
Please clarify again,

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #9 mimisiku

• 5,462 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 3 February 2023 - 14:23

Nothing to clarify.. Marusys never issued a statement concerning this matter. Cerusys is no longer the manufacturer. Assembly is now done by Temabel. This COULD mean that they have aquired the license to use the VU+ brand. But no-one knows…

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #10 Taykun345

• 1,297 posts

+41
Good

Posted 3 February 2023 - 18:44

If you can still get Vu+ Duo4k SE, grab it while you can. Top E2 receiver with good multimedia support.

Army MoodBlue HD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...-MoodBlueHD-mod
Matrix10 MH-HD2 skin modification by me: https://github.com/B...-MX-HD2-OpenPli
MetrixHD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...xHD-WPstyle-mod
Slovenian translation for OpenPLi E2: https://github.com/T...ion-for-OpenPLi

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #11 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 4 February 2023 - 12:20

The brand VU+ can of course be sold to another company, this I don't know.

@Taykun345  sorry but HiSilicon SoC are better for the multimedia part they support more Codec.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #12 Taykun345

• 1,297 posts

+41
Good

Posted 4 February 2023 - 19:06

I believe you. For me Duo4k supports everything I want.

Army MoodBlue HD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...-MoodBlueHD-mod
Matrix10 MH-HD2 skin modification by me: https://github.com/B...-MX-HD2-OpenPli
MetrixHD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...xHD-WPstyle-mod
Slovenian translation for OpenPLi E2: https://github.com/T...ion-for-OpenPLi

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #13 piplan1966

• 203 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 5 February 2023 - 04:05

Hi
@Taykun345 That means the best vu+ box out there is the vu+duo4k,

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #14 Aliraza63

• PLi® Tester
  • 250 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 5 February 2023 - 05:48

I have almost tried all brands.Some of them are still in my collection 

No doubt hisil is better in performance to . But still my prime machine is VU+ Duo4k And VU+ Duo2 

The brand VU+ can of course be sold to another company, this I don't know.

@Taykun345  sorry but HiSilicon SoC are better for the multimedia part they support more Codec.

DM-900 ,DM-520, Vu+Duo2

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #15 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 5 February 2023 - 09:01

Hi,

caution there is a Duo4K SE and the former Duo 4K. The SE is a step back.

Ralf

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #16 piplan1966

• 203 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 5 February 2023 - 10:15

Hi,

caution there is a Duo4K SE and the former Duo 4K. The SE is a step back.

Ralf

Hi
Please explain something.

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #17 chafpa

• 197 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 5 February 2023 - 11:13

The 4K = 4x 2100 MHz Quadcore CPU

The 4K SE = 4x 1500 MHz Quadcore CPU

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #18 mimisiku

• 5,462 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 5 February 2023 - 11:27

But as so many VU+ boxes the ‘true’ VU+Duo4K is no longer produced. Only found on second-hand sites. Furthermore this box has an unsolved optic-audio bug. Apart from the faster SoC, the better box VU+Ultimo4K is also EOL… The VU+Duo4Kse is a weak substitute of the Ultimo4K but missing the legacy tuner slot. The Ultimo4K was abandoned because of SoC shortages, but the Duo4Kse uses the same! VU+ (Marusys) simply pulled the plug on their STB’s and kept lying about this for 1.5 years blaming it on Covid-19 and chip shortages. Marusys has left the STB market in 2020..

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #19 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 5 February 2023 - 12:46

Furthermore this box has an unsolved optic-audio bug.

It is possible more in detail?

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: What future for Vu+ ARM decoders ? #20 mimisiku

• 5,462 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 5 February 2023 - 12:57

With AV receiver attached AC3 loses bits resulting in intermittent sound loss…. Never succesfully fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users