Photo

how to download ZeroTier in enigma2

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gento

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 February 2023 - 22:04

hello everyone, I have an edition os mini version openPLI 8.2, I want to install VPN ZeroTier on my BOX and I can't find the right ipk, I've searched a lot, and I want to install, please can someone give me something solution that installed this vpn, if necessary I will also change the openPLI version, I just want to install this vpn

thank you very much for the help you are offering me

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #2 s3n0

• 640 posts

+62
Good

Posted 4 February 2023 - 09:21

Hi.

ZeroTier should be part of the feed server. Or isn't it anymore ?

Even if you find a suitable installer, it's still not a win. These things, like the network virtual interface, are very dependent on the kernel and thus also on the system libraries. And that is not easy to match according to their versions.

See also here for example... here is a similar thread to your question:

https://forums.openp...-openpli/page-4

Compatibility with system libraries / dependencies is mentioned here.

Of course you can read the whole discussion from the beginning if you want :).

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #3 gento

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 February 2023 - 23:17

Thanks, I just read it all and tried it all to no avail,. is there anyone on the forum who has installed it, can you tell us any experience or maybe someone has also installed Tailscale vpn

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #4 gento

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 February 2023 - 09:56

give me an answer, I believe that the forum here has made a solution

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #5 Taykun345

• 1,296 posts

+41
Good

Posted 6 February 2023 - 11:25

If "opkg install zerotier" doesnt work this means its not on the feed for your box.

Army MoodBlue HD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...-MoodBlueHD-mod
Matrix10 MH-HD2 skin modification by me: https://github.com/B...-MX-HD2-OpenPli
MetrixHD skin modification by me: https://github.com/T...xHD-WPstyle-mod
Slovenian translation for OpenPLi E2: https://github.com/T...ion-for-OpenPLi

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #6 gento

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 February 2023 - 14:30

the idea is that I can't install it.

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #7 s3n0

• 640 posts

+62
Good

Posted 6 February 2023 - 16:54

Hi.

I don't know who exactly compiled and prepared ZeroTier for Linux set-top boxes (OpenATV, OpenPLi, ...). I don't remember who did it. You need to find the guy who compiled ZeroTier for OpenPLi and modified it to run on a non-full-fledged Linux system (in an Enigma2 set-top box). Then ask the guy for a new build, for new versions of Enigma2 OpenPLi :).

ZeroTier is generally accessible for almost all popular operating systems - including Linux systems. This one ZeroTier version for Linux set-top boxes was specially prepared for use on such a reduced (small) Linux system in a set-top box.

///EDIT:

Here is the official ZeroTier source code on github:

https://github.com/z...ier/ZeroTierOne

Edited by s3n0, 6 February 2023 - 16:56.

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #8 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 7 February 2023 - 16:19

Perhaps read this thread:

https://forums.openp...ier-on-openpli/

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #9 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 8 February 2023 - 22:28

Zerotier is built for all archs, and should be available on every box supported by OpenPLi.

./armv7ahf-neon/zerotier_1.10.1-r0.0_armv7ahf-neon.ipk
./mips32el/zerotier_1.10.1-r0.0_mips32el.ipk
./cortexa15hf-neon-vfpv4/zerotier_1.10.1-r0.0_cortexa15hf-neon-vfpv4.ipk
./armv7vehf-neon-vfpv4/zerotier_1.10.1-r0.0_armv7vehf-neon-vfpv4.ipk
./cortexa7hf-vfp/zerotier_1.10.1-r0.0_cortexa7hf-vfp.ipk
./mips32el-nf/zerotier_1.10.1-r0.0_mips32el-nf.ipk

Edited by neo, 8 February 2023 - 22:29.

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #10 s3n0

• 640 posts

+62
Good

Posted 9 February 2023 - 08:25

@neo

Yes... but it's a bit more complicated. Simply put, there can be a lot of dependencies on specific versions of system libraries. And that can be a problem.

Since it is a system virtual network card driver (VPN network), it is directly dependent on the system libraries and thus also on the version of the Linux kernel.

Another problem related to this is the supply of drivers directly from the device manufacturer. Some set-top box manufacturers do not supply new drivers for their hardware, and in that case it is not even possible to upgrade the kernel or system libraries, because in that case they are incompatible with the old hardware drivers supplied by the set-top box manufacturer.

As a result, this means that for some set-top boxes, due to the impossibility of upgrading the kernel and system libraries, and due to the manufacturers ignoring their devices, it is not at all easy to compile a new version of ZeroTier, which already requires new or different system libraries (and often also mentioned Linux kernel).

If all the conditions are met, in order to run the compiled ZeroTier, then a person must be found who will compile + test on a specific device, a specific version of ZeroTier :). The ZeroTier source codes are on github and can be compiled - it is mentioned on the ZeroTier website (https://www.zerotier.com/download/ - download section):

LINUX (DEB/RPM)

Debian and RPM based distributions including Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL, Fedora, and others are supported via a script that adds the right repository and installs the package.

Other Linux distributions may have their own packages. If not try building and installing from source.

Edited by s3n0, 9 February 2023 - 08:31.

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #11 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 9 February 2023 - 20:15

Not sure what you are trying to say. We do compile zerotier from github source, for every box.

The docs specify mininum GCC and CLANG versions, no kernel or library limits. Zerotier works on Synology DSM 6, which uses a distro from the stone age....

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #12 s3n0

• 640 posts

+62
Good

Posted 9 February 2023 - 20:49

I am writing about compatibility.

A binary file, already compiled and built for a Linux system, may not work on another Linux system due to dependency incompatibilities.

You start "building / compiling" ZeroTier on your Linux and find that a number of things need to be updated. But what if these are hardware-dependent drivers ? These must be supplied by the manufacturer of the set-top box. If it does not supply them, then it is not possible to update some other (dependent) system libraries - and above all the Linux kernel.

Dependencies are, for example: system libraries, drivers, other packages containing the necessary files, ... .

Often it is not even possible to update the system library or driver because it requires a newer operating system kernel for everything to work properly.

OpenPLi is known for leaving many set-top box manufacturers, due to not supplying drivers for new versions of the Linux system. This is because without updates it is not possible to continue to provide high level support and develop newer software (move forward with development and dependencies).

The ZeroTier installation package is also such an example. So that it can be used in newer Linux systems or with new drivers and with new system libraries, this ZeroTier must either be adapted to work (modified code) or all dependencies must be updated in the old firmware. However, this is not always possible.

Simply put, everything depends on everything - as far as updates are concerned.

It is unnecessary and often unrealistic to replace, for example, tires on a 50-year-old car with racing tires made in the 21st century. In other words, everything else in the car is always old (aerodynamic design of the body, engine, transmission, ... and a lot of mechanical parts in the car).

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #13 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 9 February 2023 - 21:00

That may be the case, but totally not relevant here.

There is no "binary already compiled", everything in OpenPLi is compiled by us from source, with the exception of hardware specific drivers and the odd old softcam.

There is absolutely no relation between zerotier and hardware drivers, zerotier is an SD-WAN distributed ethernet switch with an emulated local ethernet interface, 100% software, and 0% related to any hardware.

Technically, you can run zerotier on a C64 if you could compile it.

Edited by neo, 9 February 2023 - 21:13.

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #14 s3n0

• 640 posts

+62
Good

Posted 9 February 2023 - 21:42

You think... that it is enough to write a short code in C or in Assembler... and then the operating system will always take care of everything for 100% reliability. But it's not like that. That's not how it works.

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #15 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 9 February 2023 - 22:31

All I'm saying is that it is not an issue whatsoever to write a piece of software emulating a layer-2 switch, there are plenty around and have been for many years. It is absolutely not rocket science, a switch is nothing more than a multiport bridge with MAC learning, and software bridges have been available for over 40 years.

Same is true for a virtual network interface, OpenVPN's tap and tun interfaces are nothing different and well estabilished.

SD-WAN is nothing special, technically it is just a layer-2 mesh VPN, something Cisco already had that over 20 years ago (and was very complex to configure). Zerotier just hides the difficult bits like configuration.

In the end all this is blah-blah. There are only three things important here, which is:

1. does it compile? Answer: yes, it does, for every box
  2. does it install? Answer: yes, it does
  3. does it work? Answer: I Don't know, I didn't see tests, I didn't see error reports, didn't see any feedback at all

So unless we move on here with item 3, it is pretty pointless moving on here at all...

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #16 s3n0

• 640 posts

+62
Good

Posted 9 February 2023 - 23:10

That's because (no offense please) you're thinking about it now as a user... and not as a system programmer.

Today, every child knows the ISO/OSI model, because today it is already taught in primary schools - with an IT technical focus.

I am not writing about the control of layers when programming computer networks, but about the compatibility of the entire operating system. Any fixed BUG or exploit in any system module is enough. Everything depends on everything. The Linux system is modular and everything in the system must fit together exactly (communicate with each other). Often patching one system library / module / driver leads to patching a bunch of other libraries / modules / drivers to work together properly.

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #17 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 9 February 2023 - 23:30

I hate to disappoint you, but I've been a system programmer a large chunk of my life, initially on IBM and Hitatchi mainframes (assembler), later on motorola and intel based platforms. Including a stint at Cisco, working on the IGS software.

Hence I know exactly what I am talking about, it used to be my daily business.

All I see from you are woolly words without any detail about how what and why it wouldn't or shouldn't work. Words that doesn't lead anywhere, doesn't address anything. Doesn't even make a point.

Edited by neo, 9 February 2023 - 23:33.

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #18 s3n0

• 640 posts

+62
Good

Posted 10 February 2023 - 09:36

I wrote code in Assembler 25 years ago (then it was 8-bit 8080 and later 16 and 32-bit 80x86). Today, Assembler is hardly used anymore. Algorithms in Assembler resemble a sequence of events in a row rather than the impossibility of using OOP - as a type of programming. Today, Assembler is suitable only for very short and fast processes (firmware for a computer mouse, for example, in which some PIC, Atmel, or other type of microprocessor is used, made to order in China). The so-called "mainframes" are also a thing of the past, because everything is programmed in C-languages. Or development software environments (SDKs) are used for development so that the programmer does not have to write a million lines of Assembler instructions. Also firmware for HDD or SSD :). As a developer of algorithms and systems in Assembler, I was looking for a job 10 years ago, but even then I couldn't find anything at all. Today, even universal microprocessors are programmed in the C language and not in Assembler. It's sad because it takes a lot of CPU processing power away from it.

Only you write about hatred. You also brag about programming.

You reject compatibility between "modules" - in "modular" Linux. Anyone who compiles code in Linux knows that it is not easy because there are so many dependencies. Easy to compile some code e.g. via git, it's only for regular users who download the latest version of a full PC Linux distro from the internet and keep it up to date + then... according to the internet also... use tutorials on how to compile some code (like you mentioned this Softcam, for use in set-top boxes: ARM / MIPS / Aarch64 / SH4 / possibly other less used architectures).

I'm not going to argue with you here. Think what you want. I know there are big problems with what I'm saying about ZeroTier. If some new "thing" is added to Enigma2, then the Enigma2 development team must also include other packages (modules / libraries / drivers / ...) that were never needed in Linux before. As a result, the firmware becomes larger and the possibility of using firmware on old and set-top boxes with small flash memory is lost. Therefore, ZeroTier does not appear on the feed server of some set-top boxes. But these example problems (even with the example ZeroTier) are many. Including ZeroTier in the Enigma2 set-top box does not mean just compiling it and putting it on the feed / server. There are a lot of problems behind it. ZeroTier as a VPN interface can use resp. require certain properties from the operating system. However, lightweight Linux in set-top boxes may not provide these. Therefore, they must be added to the system. Of course, everything is included in OpenPLi (for now), but OpenPLi is not the only Enigma2 in the world :).

You constantly write about the same thing - about the use of the ISO OSI model in ZeroTier programming VS incomplete Linux in a set-top box. And you write about it from the user's point of view and not from the programmer's point of view. But this model for programming a computer network, that's not all.

It is enough if some Enigma2 team uses a slightly different version of any library in the system and there will be minor problems.

For example, a very common problem that users do not even know about is that the installed VPN network in a Linux system, in a set-top box with some Enigma2 distributions, uses a VPN network connection as an Internet gateway :). Then people wonder that the Internet is slow or that some connections to servers on the Internet are not working.

I'd rather not even respond anymore. This is not a debate about "who makes a fool of whom".

I am writing about ZeroTier like any other addition to the set-top box. It is not easy to add it there. In a number of cases it will not be possible, because outdated "parts" of the Linux system or even due to the impossibility of using some "parts" of the system. There are various reasons why some part of the Linux system cannot be used even in the set-top box. Usually it is a small flash memory or insufficient computing power for single-threaded processes from the multimedia chipset in set-top boxes. But there are other reasons as well. ZeroTier does have great online support... but it's not "Perpetuum-mobile".

Re: how to download ZeroTier in enigma2 #19 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 10 February 2023 - 13:33

I don't brag, I only stated the fact I know what I am talking about.

And I don't write about hatred. Where?

All I am saying it that you write a lot of wooly blah, but don't say anything useful.

So I repeat:

In the end all this is blah-blah. There are only three things important here, which is:

1. does it compile? Answer: yes, it does, for every box
  2. does it install? Answer: yes, it does
  3. does it work? Answer: I Don't know, I didn't see tests, I didn't see error reports, didn't see any feedback at all

So unless we move on here with item 3, it is pretty pointless moving on here at all...

If you claim it doesn't work, put it on the table.

What doesn't work? On which box doesn't it work? Why doesn't work? Can that be addressed?

If we have those answers, we can inform end-users and/or adjust the build process.

You have not given any of it, only lots of personal opinion and speculation, which doesn't bring us any futher.

Edited by neo, 10 February 2023 - 13:34.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users