Web X TV DM 500

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 May 2009 - 11:11

Hi All,

I am new to PLI and i gotta say it is nice! I have been looking at the web x tv thing and i was wondering if i could ask a few questions.

I went to my friends house and logged in to the web interface, i tried the web x tv but it didnt work, it works perfectly in my house. i can only put this down to poor internet speeds.Is there any way to downscale the output so it would work better over the net? is there a tutorial on how to get it to stream maybe via VLC over the internet to my mates house round the corner?
I have a dream 500s clone.

Thanks

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #2 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,475 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 6 May 2009 - 11:39

search for "re-stream" on this forum

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #3 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 6 May 2009 - 12:07

You've got a few options, all involve vlc to do the transcoding. More about it in our wiki under GenericRestream

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #4 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 May 2009 - 13:09

Thanks very much for the quick reponses it would maybe be a good new addition to any future release to have the ability to re code using the webx tv, make it say half the size for net streaming? probably impossible but hey worth a request.

love the image anyway well done.

I like the look of M4rtins interface but i have one question, where can i download it? i assume it is downloaded on the client computer and not on the DM500.

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #5 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 6 May 2009 - 13:26

You need to install vlc, apache, php and M4rtins restream on a server pc. This server pc is in the same local network as the dreambox. It transcodes the videostream to a lower bitrate, suitable for internet transmission. The client computer (the computer you watch the video on) needs a browser and vlc. You don't need to change anything on the dm500.

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #6 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 May 2009 - 13:36

Ok, that lot should not be a problem, except getting M4rtins restream, where can i get it from?? thanks again for your help

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #7 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 6 May 2009 - 14:04

http://www.m4rtin.nl/re-stream/

or a newer version here:

http://theyosh.nl/pr...ream/sourcecode

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #8 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 May 2009 - 15:05

once again thatnks very much gonna have a go at this right now

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #9 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 May 2009 - 16:00

Well i tried both and i could get neither to work!! lol i will have to have a proper play on it tonight when i get home from work. maybe if i get it working i will make a proper pictorial to get it going! thanks again for the info.

I have seen Zap stream mentioned quite a lot, where is this command?

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #10 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 6 May 2009 - 16:22

Zapstream is an internal program on your dreambox. You can not start it directly (well actually you can, but it won't be very usefull). It is started when you connect to port 31344 and it will always stream the current channel. Its biggest feature is that it can handle external channel changes and streams the newly selected channel.
I've read some reports saying zapstream should be turned off when you want to use restream. You might try, although I still have a hard time believing this. I didn't have the time to find out for myself.

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #11 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 May 2009 - 19:55

If anyone could lend a hand over MSN to try and get one of the streaming method running then it would be much appreciated. i am at my witts end lol!!

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #12 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 May 2009 - 22:21

Help! here is my dilema, i have the files input in to my Boki Tool
Posted Image
102 is my laptop with boki tool on it
109 is my dreambox

Posted Image

I have forwarded the Ports in my router as per the picture. i then save it and click on check stream but get that error message!

Posted Image

any help?

Is there any setting i need to make on the little 500 to enable the stream? do i need to install any plugins? i am using latest version of VLC 0.99

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #13 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 May 2009 - 22:38

Done it! as you can see i have put in the wrong IP!!

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #14 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 6 May 2009 - 23:00

The wrong port you mean?

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #15 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 May 2009 - 00:49

The wrong port you mean?

He knew what he meant, it just goes to show what a great mind reader you are Sjaaky /images/smiley/more_word_commands/3.gif
It's a hobby, so mileage varies Tell your friends about our Pli Wiki as it is there to help you - Click here for the PLi Wiki

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #16 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 May 2009 - 11:50

Lol yes the port! indeed, also you need to click on stream then click on test stream, and if you click on start with windows it doesn not work, you need to manually open it and click on check stream to play it. On the internal network it works just fine, no where near as good as webxtv though, i have been trying it from work though and it is really poor plays about 3 seconds then freezes, and that is on the lowest Res.

Does anyone know of a better method maybe? or even if the settings i use are not the best (div3 etc)??

It would be great to see an official PLI plugin for this that worked as well as web x tv. I know it can be done as i have seen a stream from a mate but he said it took him hours and he couldnt even write down what he had done!

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #17 atkinsom

• 81 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 May 2009 - 21:45

This is for Martin's re-stream program in case you're interested

I've attached my index.php and the define.php file with additional dimensions and framerates for video settings. Understand that it will freeze the first time but just choose the same channel from the drop down menu for bouquets and hit start. Works fine for me....I upped my providers DSL to 1mb upload max and using 200 to 450 fps/20 bitrate is perfect for WAN viewing...certainly not as good as web-x tv but for opensource pretty darn good and I can catch anything I want while on the road from hotels and such...you can even configure for it to watch pre-recorded movies. Also you can setup a simple .htaccess script requiring user authentication...I'm no programmer and I figured it out using this site
http://www.htaccesstools.com/htpasswd-generator/

See below for example of .htaccess file....read the FAQ on that site for windows and other tips

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Auth Users Only"
AuthUserFile c:/wamp/www/.htpasswd
Require valid-user

Running a VISTA PC with 4 gig ram and dual core 2.66ghz Intel processor.....VLC is v 0.86i...streaming using firefox latest version.

Attached Files

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #18 nfnovice

• 696 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2009 - 03:06

without hijacking this thread - the way I do this is simpler to setup - just not as pretty - but it does work
I have the PC with VLC on my internal network - I run a batch file on that machine which has this in it..

"%ProgramFiles%\VideoLan\VLC\vlc" http://192.168.1.2:31344 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=384,scale=.5,acodec=mpga,ab=32,channels=1}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=192.168.1.3:1234}}

where 192.168.1.2 is the dreambox
and 192.168.1.3 is the PC

Then from outside the network use VLC to connect (through my router) to network stream http://192.168.1.3:1234

you can change the vb=384 up to 512 or 1024 , you can also change the scale=.5 up to 1 - these just depend on your bandwidth, in any event these settings give me a nice little TV running in the corner of my screen at work
If you set your router to pass port 80 to your dreambox (password protected of course) then you can channels using webif and the VLC PC and therefore my little TV screen at work follow that channel change - cludgy but good for testing the theory without all the software overheads.
your mileage may vary
cheers - i'll get out of your way now.
DM800+DM7025+DM7020+DM7000+DM600+DM5620+DM500+VUDUO Dreambox great invention - whats it for ?

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #19 chavo

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2009 - 12:10

No not at all the input is much appreciated. i will give these a go. how can you access http://192.168.1.3:1234 from an external source though!

what do u find the quality like? on M4rtins util i did not know what to put where in the settings file. when i opened it up it just said looking for bouquets and it stayed there, it also reported a load of errors.

would appreciate any guidance offered!

Re: Web X TV DM 500 #20 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 8 May 2009 - 15:12

To access an internal address like 192.168.1.3:1234 you typically create a portmapping on your router. You can map for instance port 12345 on the external interface of your router to 192.168.1.3:1234. A lot of examples for a lot of routers can be found at www.portforward.com. Instead of a portforward, you might use a more advanced scenario like a vpn or a tunnel over ssh. The internet is full of examples regarding portforwards, vpn's and tunnels so I won't digress.

Your current status is that it works in your lan, but won't load the bouquets, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users