Photo

AVI to TS conversion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 percivjr

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2009 - 12:37

I have some .avi files I would like to watch on my DM7020.

I have successfully followed the Wiki and set up VLC streaming to Movieplayer, but I get frequent dropouts due, I am sure, to the poor performance of my network.

So I would like to try converting the .avi's to .ts files. I found a converter, eRightSoft Super, but althought the .ts files appear to 'play' on the DM, there is no picture or sound!!

Could somebdy please suggest a suitable converter together with any critical paramaters which need to be supplied.

Many thanks.

Re: AVI to TS conversion #2 EdSat

• 19 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2009 - 12:41

This one seems to work best for me.

http://www.squared5....amclip-win.html
DM500S, 2 x DM7020S

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes.
He who does not remains a fool forever.
- Confucius

Re: AVI to TS conversion #3 percivjr

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2009 - 21:14

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Streamclip, and loaded QuickTIme Alternative as suggested with Additional Plugins, but all the MPEG2 options were greyed out. It would play sound, but no picture, on my XP Pro system.

I downloaded several other converters without total success and then I found Quick Media Converter here: http://www.cocoonsoftware.com

In Easy Mode it even has a 'ts Dreambox' button. I've only converted a couple of .avi's and I have to admit that there is an occasional jerkiness, so I need to investigate Expert Mode.

But overall, I'm impressed so far.

Re: AVI to TS conversion #4 Conscript

• 2 posts

Neutral

Posted 9 May 2009 - 18:11

I used to use a batch file, where if you dropped a video file on it, it converted it to a ts file, and automatically moved it to the dreambox's hard disk. To bad i cant find it anymore, as i have the same problem as you where streaming doesn't work flawlessly.

Edit:
I think this is it: http://www.pli-image...0520#post_50520
testing now

Re: AVI to TS conversion #5 percivjr

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 9 May 2009 - 21:35

I've been playing about with Quick Media Converter again today. The jerkiness I mentioned is actually present in the original .avi file. So I think it works well.

There is a slight bug, which is mentioned on their website: if you fire it up and try to use it straight away it freezes - the trick is to start it and then leave it for about a minute before clicking on anything. Apparently they have a problem with their server which should be fixed "in a few days" - that was a couple of months ago! But I can live with that.

I would be interested in your solution, though.....

Re: AVI to TS conversion #6 percivjr

• 45 posts

Neutral

Posted 10 May 2009 - 14:14

Just to say I tried the batch file and it works a treat. Thanks.

I knew that VLC would do it. That's where I started, but I just couldn't work out the parameters!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users