Photo

EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 azman

• 74 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 1 October 2023 - 00:58

Due to the capabilities of current receivers and the increasing access to FAST platforms, the function of cyclical EPG downloading at a specific time interval would be extremely useful.

I am thinking about service providers such as PlutoTV, SamsungTVPlus, etc., where we can obtain EPG for 6-8 hours for a given FAST platform from various sources, either from https://i.mjh.nz/ or https://www.apsattv/ .com/

Plugins @Billy2011 (Rakuten, Pluto, Samsung) also have this functionality and even E2m3u2 Bouquet Maker by Dorik1972.

In order not to mess with the scripts that launch the EPGImporter plugin, which is not convenient because remote control commands are used for this purpose via the WebIf interface, it would be very welcome to add such a function in the plugin settings.

Please consider my request, which will be useful to most plugin users.
I think it's no problem for developers to add such a function to their code.

Why should EPGImporter differ from currently used plugins? Such functionality as an option would be very welcome in the plugin settings.
This would not affect older receivers with little memory.

Regards.

Octagon SF8008, OATV 7.3

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #2 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 2 October 2023 - 17:23

Info...

New option "Start import after standby" available in image openPli develop.

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #3 azman

• 74 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 2 October 2023 - 18:08

This doesn't solve my problem.
My receiver usually works 24 hours a day and I don't need to restart the GUI or the entire receiver.

The option to automatically download events every x hours would be the best solution.

Currently, I'm struggling with a script that enables me to update every 12 hours using the WebIf remote control.
But this solution is not very comfortable and, in addition, this activity is visible in the GUI.

Octagon SF8008, OATV 7.3

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #4 jeepcook

• 269 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 2 October 2023 - 18:30

Why don't you just use e2m3u2b? You can schedule automatic epg updates every x hours.

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #5 azman

• 74 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 2 October 2023 - 18:42

Of course I can use this plugin and I even have @Billy2011 plugins (Rakuten, Pluto, Samsung) and I use them too.

The point is that by creating an EPG that I can only obtain for 12 hours and making the sources available in the EPG Importer plugin, I would like users to be able to download these events in silent mode at least twice a day.

Currently, the EPG Importer plugin does not offer this option.

Unfortunately, I am not a programmer and I am not able to add such an option to the plugin in Python.

Octagon SF8008, OATV 7.3

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #6 jeepcook

• 269 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 2 October 2023 - 19:24

Currently, the EPG Importer plugin does not offer this option.

This request has been made many times. But this was never implemented voluntarily to prevent the epg servers from being overloaded.

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 2 October 2023 - 19:44

What EPG server is SO crap that it doesn't provide at least 24 hours?

I don't see a need for it, if only because there is already massive abuse of EPG servers.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #8 azman

• 74 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 2 October 2023 - 23:48

Well, as if there were GB of data for one selected region or country.
If you don't want to add such an option, just say so = write that we won't add it and that's it.
Why beat around the bush that there are other plugins or this and that and not this or that.

I asked to add modifications to the plugin, if you don't want to add it, no problem.
I will add this option myself, but it will not be publicly available for use by other plugin users.

It's so scary to add a few command lines in python. This will destroy our entire image.

Thank you for the discussion
Regards

The image team could have added a small function in the plugin, but whatever, users can handle it themselves.

---------------------------------------

I am able to get this EPG every 12 hours one way or another.
Why can't you provide this to other less advanced users of this plugin?

Edited by azman, 2 October 2023 - 23:53.

Octagon SF8008, OATV 7.3

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #9 jeepcook

• 269 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 2 October 2023 - 23:52

As usually the same answer, NO.

This answer doesn't take in account new usages but I don't want to explain .. it's a waste of time

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #10 azman

• 74 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 October 2023 - 00:47

OK I understand your reluctance to add such a simple function.
Just a few lines of Python code and it probably won't destroy the entire project.

It's hard to figure it out on your own, or it will probably be faster if done by koega @zdzislaw22, whom I asked for help in modifying this plugin.

He will probably do it better than you, as is the case with stremlink where his version beats yours in the feed.

Thank you all for your interest in the topic.
I won't give up, I'll continue digging into the topic and maybe I'll come up with something or modify someone's code.

Interestingly, XML Importer from OE-Alliance is not the same xo EPG Importer from Open PLi.

I wonder why this wonderful project has two branches of development. ?

Regards

Octagon SF8008, OATV 7.3

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #11 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 3 October 2023 - 05:24

I propose a compromise.

Wnen option  "Automatic import EPG" -->yes

add new option "Single repeat import after" (no/3/6/12/18hour)

I think this will be useful.

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #12 jeepcook

• 269 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 3 October 2023 - 07:23

I propose a compromise.

Wnen option  "Automatic import EPG" -->yes

add new option "Single repeat import after" (no/3/6/12/18hour)

I think this will be useful.

Great ! It's really enough for Pluto TV and Samsung TV

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #13 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 3 October 2023 - 12:33

I run one of the Rytec EPG servers. It gets over 2 million download requests per day, at peak times up to 250Mbps of traffic, with volumes into the many terabytes.

And there are users who download once an hour, even though Rytec only updates the data once a day, AND provides 7 days of data. You might understand the problem, but I fear most of the people out there don't.

So yes, it is about an awful lot of data. And I even block TV's, Kodi, etc, which I need to do to pervent the server from becoming overloaded.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #14 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 3 October 2023 - 13:02

My IPTV provider provides EPG data only for the next 18-20 hours.

So I understand the request and intend to implement it.

I hope no one will mind?

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #15 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 3 October 2023 - 15:32

I'm still not very happy about it. But I understand sometimes it is needed.

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #16 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,076 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 4 October 2023 - 16:31

The problem is that people that host the EPG data are already overloaded by tons of download and this cost money, because yes somebody has to pay for the bandwidth used.

So adding an option to download the full EPG every x hours will overkill the servers and less people will accept to provide EPG data hosting solution, the current epg xmlimport will die.

The current model for providing EPG has perhaps came to an end and it should probably redesign to something else (p2p solution?) so if we allow people to download EPG every hour, people will use it (even if they don't need it at all).

Allowing to download the EPG every x hours will download each time the full dataset selected by the end user, while we only need it for some very specific providers, the one you mention.

So if this need to be implemented into the current EPGImport then the solution must be smart enough to only download the data that really need this hourly update and not the full EPG data that already provides several days EPG.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #17 doglover

• Rytec EPG Team
  • 17,014 posts

+639
Excellent

Posted 5 October 2023 - 14:22

I run one of the Rytec EPG servers. It gets over 2 million download requests per day, at peak times up to 250Mbps of traffic, with volumes into the many terabytes.

And there are users who download once an hour, even though Rytec only updates the data once a day, AND provides 7 days of data. You might understand the problem, but I fear most of the people out there don't.

So yes, it is about an awful lot of data. And I even block TV's, Kodi, etc, which I need to do to pervent the server from becoming overloaded.

There in total 66 files to be downloaded.

This spans the EPG from the Nordic countries to Portugal, and from the UK to Bulgaria.

I cannot imagine some-one wants all this EPG, and download it all every hour.

But there are individuals who do that.

I do not know if this is possible:

Limit the the downloads from any single IP-address to let say 70 files a day.

If that IP-address wants more files, it gets blocked for 24 hours.

With these 70 files download it can download everything once a day.

Any normal users, would have to possiblity to do an extra download in case of emergency.

Any normal user would only need something like 15 to 20 files.  There own country and the surrounding countries, together with the 3 general files (ero, Misc, News)

Of course there are those sportsfans who will want all the sports channels available on all sats, or from IPTV.  And download everything.

~~Rytec Team~~
Maxytec Multibox SE OpenPli (used as mediaplayer)
Mutant HD2400 OpenPli
Vu+ Duo OpenPli (backup)

Synology NAS

Sat: 13E, 19.2E, 23.5E and 28.2E
*Pli/Rytec EPG POWERED*

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 5 October 2023 - 16:12

Not easily doable without introducing a lot of custom logic.

A lot of the "noise" is created by the "illegal viewing scene", boxes sold with a customized image and a share subscription, never to be updated again.

They also have "opkg update" in cron, which are extra hits on the server. The owners of those boxes usually have no clue what happens under the hood.

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #19 azman

• 74 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 5 October 2023 - 19:23

I didn't expect that such a small option in the plugin could cause so many problems.

I read your comments and I admit that these additional options may overload your hosting.

However, I have several hosting plans at OVH for little money and all of them have an unlimited monthly transfer package. That's why maybe I didn't take into account how it could affect others.

Unfortunately, the modified plugin.py file appeared and as of today, more than 12 people have downloaded it.

Octagon SF8008, OATV 7.3

Re: EPGImporter added the ability to download EPG data cyclically at a set hourly interval. #20 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 5 October 2023 - 19:26

However, I have several hosting plans at OVH for little money and all of them have an unlimited monthly transfer package. That's why maybe I didn't take into account how it could affect others.

Contact rytec, they have a forum here, and offer one of your servers to them. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users