Photo

Could the VTI team support openbh's multiboot if they wanted?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 elmann

• 87 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 December 2023 - 12:54

Hello,

besides openpli the other image I really like is VTI. Actually they are both awesome especially the forums.

Right now I think one can add VTI to a slot and boot into it. But when one wants to boot into another image one has to use the STARTUP_RECOVERY work flow.

Do you think if they wanted it would be technically possible for them to add the Multiboot menu to their image. So that one could get back via the menu to openpli?

Or is this technically not possible because they ar not on python 3?

I am asking here and not in their forum because my feeling say's I will get here a better technical answer, why this is probably not  possible?

Edited by elmann, 6 December 2023 - 12:55.

Model: Uno4kse and Octagon SF8008 4K Supreme Image:  OpenPli: latest TV: Sony XE9005, Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q810GC

Re: Could the VTI team support openbh's multiboot if they wanted? #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 6 December 2023 - 12:58

The short answer: technically everything is possible.

The long answer: VTI is not an image in itself, it is a copy of VU+'s own OpenVuPlus 3 image, with a few bolt-on's. If they have to implement things like this, they have to deviate from their upstream code and start doing their own development. No idea if they have the skills or appetite for that. They might have to, given the fact VU+ stopped any development a long time ago (which is also why they are still stuck on Python2 and an antique OE version).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Could the VTI team support openbh's multiboot if they wanted? #3 elmann

• 87 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 December 2023 - 13:10

I see. So if they wanted,  someone would have to (if its legal ?) fork openvuplus_3.0.git. He would have to then have c++ knowledge which applies to embedded linux and also know about the bsp build tools.

​He then could change some c++ code to make multiboot possible.

Edited by elmann, 6 December 2023 - 13:11.

Model: Uno4kse and Octagon SF8008 4K Supreme Image:  OpenPli: latest TV: Sony XE9005, Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q810GC

Re: Could the VTI team support openbh's multiboot if they wanted? #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 6 December 2023 - 13:16

Forking open source code is perfectly legal. What isn't legal is then making that forked closed, like VTI does.

Afaik there where no changes to the C++ code to support multiboot, only to the OE build environment and the GUI (enigma).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Could the VTI team support openbh's multiboot if they wanted? #5 elmann

• 87 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 December 2023 - 13:37

Ok just for my mental model: 

1) The company marusys owns  openvuplus_3.0.git, But right now they stopped/paused development 

2) A group created VTI from openvuplus_3.0.git . And made it closed source so that only vu hardware profits.  (Did this group consists of marusys developers?)

3) They created also the website vupluss-support.  They also help Endusers there.

Maybe I got it all wrong?

Re: Could the VTI team support openbh's multiboot if they wanted? #6 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 6 December 2023 - 13:41

Also VTI is closed source... so also no change to adapt it by someone else for you... VTI can be installed on a multiboot slot, but it does not support it at all... so you can boot it, but not go back....

I can only recommend you consider to told it to them via their forum

Edited by littlesat, 6 December 2023 - 13:42.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Could the VTI team support openbh's multiboot if they wanted? #7 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 6 December 2023 - 14:22

Hi,

2. I do not thinks so because marusys/vu was/is korean and when I was still a member of their forum I never saw a sign. I was a beta tester for VU and I think I would have heard it.

Ralf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users