My box switches on by itself every morning

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Re: My box switches on by itself every morning #21 s3n0

• 653 posts

+62
Good

Posted 15 December 2023 - 13:44

Do not use the wget command without the mentioned arguments ! Otherwise, the downloaded file will be saved to disk. The wget command is used to save web content to disk.

If you remove the -O - it means that the downloaded content from the web will be saved to disk... but not to std-out (which is usually your LCD display - i.e. an open terminal with a Linux Shell interpreter). This is ensured by the -O - argument... so... that the downloaded content is "saved" to the standard output (on the monitor display - in layman's terms). Subsequently, at the end of the wget command-line, we will use redirection to the null-device, from this standard output (even in this case, of course, it is considered the standard output... and it means your LCD display - in layman's terms).

WGET man-page / download options: https://www.gnu.org/...ownload-Options

-O file

--output-document=file

The documents will not be written to the appropriate files, but all will be concatenated together and written to file. If ‘-’ is used as file, documents will be printed to standard output, disabling link conversion. (Use ‘./-’ to print to a file literally named ‘-’.)

Use of -O is not intended to mean simply “use the name file instead of the one in the URL;” rather, it is analogous to shell redirection: wget -O file http://foo is intended to work like wget -O - http://foo > file ; file will be truncated immediately, and all downloaded content will be written there.

Re: My box switches on by itself every morning #22 sjlouis

• 1,573 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 December 2023 - 13:28

I don't understand your explanation about -o. I've red several documentations and they explain -o is used to save the download in a disk file. And when I used the command wget without -o I wrote previously, it displayed the message on the TV.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K - OpenPli 8.3

Xtrend ET9200 - OpenPli 6.2

Re: My box switches on by itself every morning #23 s3n0

• 653 posts

+62
Good

Posted 18 December 2023 - 15:06

This is the only way to ensure that WGET does not give any output at all, which floods the system LOG and which in certain cases can also cause unwanted problems. That's all ;-).

Click on the URL mentioned above... and study it plase ;-). WGET is explained there as well as the "-O" argument (btw it is an uppercase "-O" and not a lowercase "-o").

Edited by s3n0, 18 December 2023 - 15:09.

Re: My box switches on by itself every morning #24 sjlouis

• 1,573 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 18 December 2023 - 15:24

Yes, I've seen there are -o and -O. I haven't read all the documentation because I'm not easy in English but I've read several documentations in French.

It's not important, I don't use it. I only did a test ;)  .

Vu+ Ultimo 4K - OpenPli 8.3

Xtrend ET9200 - OpenPli 6.2

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users