Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 el bandido

• 364 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 6 February 2024 - 05:12

A way to display signal below lock has been found by ocean04. All that is needed to display signal below lock in the Octagon SF8008 Supreme are a couple of file changes. The problem is the files that need to be changed are in enigma2, which means not everyone can use this feature.

Displaying signal below lock is useful for several things, but probably the best use is dish alignment. Having the receiver display any signal for a transponder is a lot better than having a signal strong enough to lock when aligning a satellite dish.

Attached are the enigma2 files located in /lib/dvb that need to be changed in order for the Sf8008 to show signal below lock. I have used the changes for a bit and find they work quite well, and do not seem to mess with anything else. I also realize OpenPLi is built for many different receivers.

Shown below are some screencaps of how this modification works. There is an instance sometimes where an erroneous signal is shown, but only for a short time. The erroneous signal being displayed is the only problem I have found with these changes.

I would like to know if this is something that can be added to OpenPLi enigma2.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #2 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 6 February 2024 - 07:44

The patch is terrible as if true is not what you should do and the biggest question is does it really work? At least as far I know it will not work on all the hardware. And I also doubt it really works for this box… maybe you can demonstrate it? As far I know without a lock it will have a kind of random value and your screenshot also demonstrate it. I tried it long time ago >10 years to make a kind of spectrum analyzer with it and discovered it cannot be used for it. This as real alternative for blindscan.

Edited by littlesat, 6 February 2024 - 07:48.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #3 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 6 February 2024 - 07:53

Maybe it have to be debugged a bit....maybe it doesnt return stateLock correctly or maybe that have to get on another event.....

stateLock is returned only at two places 

if (cmd.okcount > 4)
{
	eDebugNoSimulate("[eDVBFrontend%d] ok > 4 .. goto %d\n", m_dvbid, cmd.steps);
	setSecSequencePos(cmd.steps);
	m_state = stateLock; <-- here
	m_stateChanged(this);
	feEvent(-1); // flush events
	m_sn->start();
	break;
}
if (event.status & FE_HAS_LOCK)
{
	state = stateLock;
}

So maybe have to be checked why it doesnt come to that condition....

In general bypass or the conditions is not good since it will break all other stuff/boxes even if it works for the supreme.

Edited by DimitarCC, 6 February 2024 - 08:07.

Vu+DUO4KSE, DM920UHD, Vu+Uno4KSE, SF8008Mini, Vu+Solo2, Dreambox DM500HD, Triax 78 (7E,9E,13E,19.2E,23.5E) & Triax 78 (39E)

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #4 ocean04

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 February 2024 - 09:16

It should work in every hisilicon box where AVL62X1 is used. (Tested SF8008 Supreme and Gigablue Trio 4K Pro)

It works because hi-dvb.ko contains direct call to AVL62X1_GetSNR function, it doesn't check lock status. Only enigma2 checks that.

Also works in all Edision 4K (mini, mio, mio+), but requires driver patch. (driver is source available)

Different e2 patch works in Vu+ Uno 4K. (Possibly in all Vu+ 4K models, except Zero 4K. I have only checked Vu+ Uno 4k, mine has older FBC tuner)

Patch was not meant to be included as it is, but it can be improved if you wish to add this feature. Not all hardware support T2MI or s2x, but these were added.

Anyway, for me it does what I always wanted, see SNR value when not locked.

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #5 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 6 February 2024 - 09:21

It would be nice as it makes it also possible to create a kind of spectrum analyzer that could ‘replace’ blindscan. But it needs a better research and also enabling/disabling via eg an enigma2 config at the tuner level and add enable it when we have a tuner that can do it… and/or (in combination) with checks and a value in SystemInfo/BoxInfo as feature, but as it is tuner bounded this is also not easy. Instead of just setting things hardcoded to true. So as in the state it is now it is not good yet.

The basics are a good idea….

When it has a direct pathway to the tuner we may also be able to add finetune in BER…. Something I made long time ago for ancient dreambox 7000…. What low signals still could be tuned by tweaking tuner parameters on BER results.

Edited by littlesat, 6 February 2024 - 09:26.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #6 DimitarCC

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,333 posts

+46
Good

Posted 6 February 2024 - 09:28

The main problem is its tuner/driver bound....The only option is to have a setting in enigma to allow output the signal without check to locked.

And also have to be tested on all possible devices for side effects imho.

Vu+DUO4KSE, DM920UHD, Vu+Uno4KSE, SF8008Mini, Vu+Solo2, Dreambox DM500HD, Triax 78 (7E,9E,13E,19.2E,23.5E) & Triax 78 (39E)

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #7 MCelliotG

• 443 posts

+35
Good

Posted 6 February 2024 - 11:38

This is the most treasured and sought after feature for all DX lovers using Enigma2 for many years now.

I have already seen tests with both OSmio (Availink) and SF8008 (Silabs) tuners and in both cases no lock values are comparable to PC cards, so that should indicate that at least initially these tuners can show signals below lock with no visible issues.

I am curious if the same can happen for gfutures drivers on Silabs (HD51 etc).

It is definitely worth a trial and error, even with a function that can enable this feature in the tuner settings. For what it's worth, tuner/driver combos that support it will only benefit from this feature.

If I am not mistaken, this was already possible with some Dreamboxes only on their closed source images.

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #8 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 6 February 2024 - 13:08

The main problem is its tuner/driver bound....

->

You can set a feature on a box that supports it via SystemInfo and then enable it for specific 'tuners'.

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #9 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,247 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 6 February 2024 - 13:38

It would be nice as it makes it also possible to create a kind of spectrum analyzer that could ‘replace’ blindscan. But it needs a better research and also enabling/disabling via eg an enigma2 config at the tuner level and add enable it when we have a tuner that can do it… and/or (in combination) with checks and a value in SystemInfo/BoxInfo as feature, but as it is tuner bounded this is also not easy. Instead of just setting things hardcoded to true. So as in the state it is now it is not good yet.

The basics are a good idea….

When it has a direct pathway to the tuner we may also be able to add finetune in BER…. Something I made long time ago for ancient dreambox 7000…. What low signals still could be tuned by tweaking tuner parameters on BER results.

A spectrum analyser is an analogue device so only possible to create where the analogue output of the tuner is available.

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #10 EnoSat

• 183 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 6 February 2024 - 19:36

He also created something similar for the SF8008 dreambox1959
The AGC signal is taken from the connection between pin 5 of the RDA5815M and SI2166D pin 1

Edited by EnoSat, 6 February 2024 - 19:37.

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #11 el bandido

• 364 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2024 - 17:31

The patch is terrible as if true is not what you should do and the biggest question is does it really work? At least as far I know it will not work on all the hardware. And I also doubt it really works for this box… maybe you can demonstrate it? As far I know without a lock it will have a kind of random value and your screenshot also demonstrate it. I tried it long time ago >10 years to make a kind of spectrum analyzer with it and discovered it cannot be used for it. This as real alternative for blindscan.

Please take about 7 and a half minutes to review the video in the link below. The signal meter does hang sometime in Positioner setup. Bump the dish one time and the signal goes to 0. I use this feature on the SF8008 Supreme a lot. Thanks.

http://162.216.113.2...240221_1058.mp4

Re: Octagon SF8008 Supreme Show Signal Below Lock #12 ocean04

• 18 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 March 2024 - 08:58

It's also possible to access signal values from webif <boxip>/web/signal

Made some changes to info.py in /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/OpenWebif/controllers/models/

Now /web/signal gets updated also when signal finder is open and not only when some service is tuned.

Of course unlocked is only possible for boxes with avl62x1. (But that seems to be in most new models..)

Attached File  vix_webif_signal_finder.jpg   114.46KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users