• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 claude

• 38 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 March 2024 - 11:18

HI all

Just a quicky

In previous OpenPli images, you could change root passwrd using a setpasswrd plugins downloaded from the plugins tab...
With Oepnpli9.0, you no longer have the setpasswrd plugin but  a changeroot password plugins
So far so good BUT, if you need to change root passwrd, you need to supply OLD passwrd
How do you know the so-called old passwrd on a new image ?

and of course, if you have no idea of this OLD root password, you wpn't be able to create a new root passwrd

In previous images, you had not this "feature" and  could make easily the change

This is really boring

Re: Openpli 9.0...setpassword vs changerootpasswrd #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 27 March 2024 - 14:57

It is a security feature. If you don't ask for the old password, anyone with access to the remote (real of webif) can reset the password and gain access to the box.

By default, root has no password.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Openpli 9.0...setpassword vs changerootpasswrd #3 claude

• 38 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 March 2024 - 10:03

I undesrtand your point ( and thks for that ) but , on a brand new image, if I keep old passwrd blank and only fill the new passwrd field, nothing happens and the new passwrd is ignored...
Am I doing something wrong ?

thks in advance

Claude

Re: Openpli 9.0...setpassword vs changerootpasswrd #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:17

I have to say I've never used it, I always use the commandline.

I've checked, there is also a "setpasswd" plugin in the systemplugins section, it adds a "Change root password" menu item in Setup  / System, and doesn't ask for the current password.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users