Pli does not store all network parameters

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 sjlouis

• 1,570 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 30 July 2024 - 17:42

I use my Ultimo 4 k in different homes. In the main house, I use Ethernet for the network connection and in the apartment, I use WiFi, but Pli doesn't remember (all) the settings, which means I have to fight to get the settings right.

When I first searched for WiFi networks, it found all the settings except the password, which is normal.

When I return home, I have to re-enter the primary DNS when I want to switch to Ethernet. It doesn't remember it. I could see it in the interfaces file :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface wlan3 inet static
	address 192.168.8.5
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 192.168.8.1
	pre-up wl-config.sh -m wpa2 -k "********" -s "GL-A1300-61d-5G" 
	post-down wl-down.sh

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.0.5
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 192.168.0.254

When I got back to the apartment, I want to switch to WiFi. The default setting is DHCP and I have to enter almost everything. I struggle like mad because 2 times out of 3 it wouldn't find the wireless networks, it's stuck. I have to electrically reboot the box 1 time, 2 times...

And now, when it finds wireless networks and I choose one, it no longer automatically fills in the parameters. And sometimes, it wouldn't display the choice between WAN and LAN and would go straight to the menu for one of the 2 networks (WAN or LAN). I have to restart the box.

If I disable DHCP, it's not as bad because it keeps the IP address, netmask and gateway but not the primary DNS and if I want to access another LAN, I can enter the parameters.

So now, when I switch from the WAN to the LAN and vice versa, I have to enter the primary DNS.

While searching on the forum, I found a post by WanWizard where it displays an interface file with a line for the primary DNS. I added a line by hand but it didn't work. So why doesn't it remember it for me?

Another problem is that it only (partially) remembers 1 WAN network and 1 LAN network. If I want to change one of them, I have to overwrite it.

Thank you for your help :) .

Vu+ Ultimo 4K - OpenPli 8.3

Xtrend ET9200 - OpenPli 6.2

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,799 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 30 July 2024 - 18:46

Which OpenPLi version, according to your signature you're on end-of-life ones?

Up to 8.3-release, static DNS information is written to /etc/resolv.conf. From 9.0-release onwards, resolv.conf is dynamic and managed by openresolv, and static DNS information is written to the network interfaces file.

In case of DNS from DHCP, you don't need to do anything. And if Enigma doesn't see an interface anymore, you've broken your interfaces file.

One of the reasons for the change in 9.0 is that, as you have rightly found out, the old way of doing things wasn't compatible with multiple interfaces, with different settings. Which is why we moved the config to the interfaces file. openresolv does support multiple interfaces with per-interface DNS settings.

So my guess is you're trying to do something that isn't supported on pre-9.0 images...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Ultimate (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #3 sjlouis

• 1,570 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 30 July 2024 - 19:22

Yes, I have 8.3 version from 2024-02-08. It's not very old ;)  .

I've done these tests a few days ago. When I've seen I have problems, I searched a network file and I've found "/network/interface" where I could see there is not DNS informations.

Today, I've red your post and see your interface file, then I tried to modify it.

I think my interface file works well. It's not broken but it only works as it was created.

OK, thank you for your response. I have to change Pli version :P  .

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,799 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 30 July 2024 - 20:06

The fact that is is built build doesn't mean the code is still maintained, 8.3-release is end of life since the release of 9.0.

Today, I've red your post and see your interface file, then I tried to modify it.

The problem is that you're lacking the other tools, both to maintain the file (one you save a network config in Enigma your interfaces changes are gone), and to use it (you need tools like openresolv to dynamically add DNS information from interfaces to the resolver then the interface comes up).

Which is why it was changed in 9.0-release.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Ultimate (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #5 sjlouis

• 1,570 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 31 July 2024 - 11:38

Ok, thank you WW :)  .

Another problem I have is with WiFi. I've seen Chafpa have a similar problem. When I use Wifi, the Vu+ deactivates Wifi quickly, probably if I use it continuously.There is a red cross with the Wifi icon (WLAN connexion). And it's very very difficult to start it again.

I thought it was because the Wifi at the apartment is unstable but I have the same problem at home even though the Wifi is very good. With an Ethernet cable from the repeater, it seems stable.

If I use the Wifi at the apartment with the phone or the PC, there is no problem unless the repeater no longer picks up the signal, but then the phone and the PC start again.

Maybe it's improved with version 9.0.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #6 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,904 posts

+190
Excellent

Posted 31 July 2024 - 12:24

Repeaters are a real last resort, so not recommended to use, they also divide the speed by half. I you want better coverage buy more Access Points, use a brand like Unifi.

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #7 sjlouis

• 1,570 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 31 July 2024 - 12:59

I don't know very well these products and a friend advises me this product. It's very convenient.

https://www.amazon.f...?language=en_GB

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,799 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 31 July 2024 - 15:34

I can't say I have those issues, and everything here is wifi connected, except my recording box, which is directly connected to the NAS.

Even the slow(er) wifi of the Solo 4K works fine, and it's sort of built-in.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #9 sjlouis

• 1,570 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 31 July 2024 - 20:14

And it has always worked well?

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,799 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 31 July 2024 - 22:22

Define "always" ;).

I moved house in 2021, and since then everything is wireless, as I can't pull any cables without breaking open walls.

And since then no issues, although you have to take into account that wifi is a shared medium, in which the slowest transmitter determines the throughput. So even if the device says 300Mbps, it might be 1Mbps, if someone with an iPhone is in a different room or floor but on the same AP.

To mitigate that, I have moved all boxes and laptops to 5Ghz (except the Solo 4K, which doesn't want to), and phone's and so on to 2.4Ghz. And I have 3 AP's to cover the ground floor (about 160 m2).

Only recently, with the SF8008 Extreme / uStym4K Pro Ultimate, there are some issues, which are driver related ( driver goes to sleep sometimes, box has no issue as it wakes it up, but when you connect to it, some packets are lost before it wakes up, so you have to try again ).

Edited by WanWizard, 31 July 2024 - 22:24.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #11 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,904 posts

+190
Excellent

Posted 1 August 2024 - 07:48

Here 27 devices are wireless , on 2 access points, 2 NAS, 1 desktop, 1 managed switch and 1 unmanaged switch are wired. A Vu Duo 4K wireless connected using 5Ghz is the movie box and makes recordings to a NAS, never a problem.

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #12 sjlouis

• 1,570 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 1 August 2024 - 13:12

By "always", I meant with several versions of Pli and for a few years ;)

For Wifi, I did tests while I was alone on the network, so no disruption. In any case, when I tried to watch TV in streaming, the Ultimo regularly cut the WAN session with the red cross.

Maybe the Ultimo has less well-developed drivers for the network. The device is much more reliable in terms of components than the Xtrends I had, on the other hand I could see that some drivers are less good.

My phone tells me the connection speed for Wifi and at home, it's around 800 Mbits/s. Doesn't it use them or is it because it's not an iPhone? And I'm surprised that iPhones are limited, unless they are old models.

40H3X, have you been able to see if my router seemed correct to you?

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #13 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,799 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 1 August 2024 - 13:26

By "always", I meant with several versions of Pli and for a few years ;)

I can't swear to that, all my boxes generally run the latest develop, or at this moment a scarthgap image ( testing for OpenPLi 10 ), and multiboot boxes have 9.0-release installed so I can check things if needed.

So these versions all work, and are stable. I can't comment on older versions, not enough usage data for them.

My phone tells me the connection speed for Wifi and at home, it's around 800 Mbits/s. Doesn't it use them or is it because it's not an iPhone? And I'm surprised that iPhones are limited, unless they are old models.

Says absolutely zero, it is the connection speed, not the transfer speed or throughput.

The problem with mobile phones in general is that the TX power has been reduced, to avoid (legal) issues because you hold it to your head and you don't want your brain fried ;).

Which means that the further a phone is from an access point, the more it will struggle to keep a connection. And the more that in turn will downscale the radio of the accesspoint.

It becomes visible when you have a box and a phone connected to the same access point, and you play back a high bandwidth recording on the box from a NAS (or other box) via wifi. And then walk out of the room with the phone.

The box will start to have issues with the playback as the throughput of the access point radio drops...

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #14 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,904 posts

+190
Excellent

Posted 1 August 2024 - 13:26

40H3X, have you been able to see if my router seemed correct to you?

I could not say. The reason why I suggested Unifi is because their Access Points work together and thus realize something called (seamless) roaming. This technique makes it possible that you almost always move to the nearest Access Point/Best/Strongest connection. So I have 2 Access Points one at the front and another at the end of my house and when I walk from one end to the other I see my phone move from 1 access point to the other and thus always a strong WiFi connection.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #15 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,799 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 1 August 2024 - 13:29

I use the same access points. They can do this because they have a common controller, which could be a Unifi device, or a Linux appliance ( a docker image on a NAS for example ), the same as large office installations from the likes of Cisco, Meraki, etc.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #16 sjlouis

• 1,570 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 1 August 2024 - 15:52

OK for the info.

I bought this repeater because I can use it when traveling (hotel...) and isolate my devices (PC, phone) from the common network.

I've just done other tests.

On the upper floor of the house, the Internet box being on the ground floor, the phone connected in Wifi with the Internet box, gives me a speed of a little more than 350 Mbits/s with Speedtest.

On the other hand, I have just done tests and whatever the distance of the repeater, I do not have a very big house either, the phone connected to the Wifi of the repeater, gives me 140 Mbits/s. So very far from what is given for this device: 400 Mbps (2.4 G) + 867 Mbps (5G). So the repeater receives a Wifi signal that it transmits, which can make it lose speed but still the loss is enormous.

And if I connect the repeater via Ethernet to the Internet box and I connect the PC to the repeater via Ethernet, the speed is 420 Mbits/s.

I wonder if there is a configuration problem or if the repeater does not have the advertised performance.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #17 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,904 posts

+190
Excellent

Posted 1 August 2024 - 17:33

As I said before a repeater (WiFi)  halves the speed, this because it send en receives, so that and UTP connection to the repeater does not have this problem and thus is faster.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,799 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 1 August 2024 - 17:54

I assume it is one radio that alternates between sending and receiving?

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #19 sjlouis

• 1,570 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 1 August 2024 - 18:53

As I wrote, when everything is connected in Ethernet (so it is in UTP?), the flow rate does not exceed about 420 Mbps. We are therefore far from 867 Mbs. So maybe in all connection configurations, it divides the speed by 2.

Re: Pli does not store all network parameters #20 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 69,799 posts

+1,780
Excellent

Posted 1 August 2024 - 19:14

The advertised speeds are technical maximum values, you might see them reported as connection speed, but you hardly ever reach that in throughput, unless in very controlled laboratory conditions. Same is true for those powerline adapters...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users