Split recordings for fat32 external drive

DM800

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yeahbabi

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 April 2011 - 00:23

I have open PLI 2.0 with an external drive formatted in fat32.

i want to know if there is way to split my recordings as there is a 4gb file limitation on fat32 drives,
when i record a show, as soon as it reaches the 4gb it stops recording and shows a popup message saying hard disk is full.
the recording itself is fine, it just stops before i want it to.
I'm using the the epg to set my recording (if that helps)

I don't want to change the file system because the fat32 HDD is also used for my other devices.

is there as script or command line i can edit somewhere so that it can split the file just before it reaches the 4gb limit?.

thanks

Re: Split recordings for fat32 external drive #2 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:01

no, there is no more split support, because modern filesystems do not have the limitations which fat used to have.

Re: Split recordings for fat32 external drive #3 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,049 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:17

Guess the simplest workaround is to simply split the timer, e.g. start a new recording each hour.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Split recordings for fat32 external drive #4 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 25 April 2011 - 17:51

I have open PLI 2.0 with an external drive formatted in fat32.
I don't want to change the file system because the fat32 HDD is also used for my other devices.

Those other devices, what filesystems do they support.
OMG, you don't say the W from M ?
Hehehehe welcome to the Microsoft vendor lockin dude.
You can unlock yourself on windows by installing Ext2 filesystemdriver for windows.
Then temporary copy all data from that external HDD with prehistoric antique fat32 filesystem to other storage medium.
Then format the external HDD, nomore fat32, but Ext2 filesystem.
After format copy all datafiles back to the Ext2 external HDD. Then you got a external disk that is supported on all computers (no vendor lockin)
And for user limitedwindows you can install the drivers.

Advise: When formatting to Ext2 filesystem, keep like 50Megabyte filesystem free, and make it afterwards with 4 example windows a 50MB fat32 partition. Then you can store the Ext2 driver for windows on it as read only file. Then your problem is 100% solved.

Dreambox Dm8000 with all hardware addons donated to OpenPli. No interests anymore in policy of CanalDigitaal / M7 group and now-a-days channel encryption (like CI+ / HD+).

Good luck Enigma2 / OpenPli, it was fun with Sky Movies and so on, collected a nice collection of movies. Now back to basic boring lineair TV with KPN iTV (VDSL2 pair bonding 219 / 63 Mbps).

The VDSL pair bonding is excellent for... torrents to NAS in higher quality then HDTV (Like Dolby-TrueHD or DTS-Master-Audio soundquality ) :D

Re: Split recordings for fat32 external drive #5 yeahbabi

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:50

Those other devices, what filesystems do they support.
OMG, you don't say the W from M ?

PS3,Wii, DVD player, Car Stereo and my TV all use Fat32, its not just about "windows",even linux seem to support it without issue,
for me its the most convenient (might not be the best) filesytem out there, as it's universal.

I already know i can split my HDD into 2 partitions, its just gets abit messy on the dm800,
1) I have to mount the other(fat32) manually
2) it lists extra folders on my "list of devices" page
3) when i reboot the partitions sometimes gets swapped around
4) if i unplug the hdd and replug it back in the the device name changes eg. /dev/sda5 turns into /dev/sdb5, PITA to mount it again.

Re: Split recordings for fat32 external drive #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,836 posts

+1,745
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:42

I noticed split support is absent when displaying info as well.

I have a lot of recordings made with my 7000, which uses split recordings (set to 1Gb). Enigma2 only reports the size of the first .ts file, not of the entire recording.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM800

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users