Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #41 andyblac

• 465 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:06

Andy probably used the kernel3 patch from Xtrend and changed it on only the name and download directory so it works with VU+.
I have check it in VIX git and it seems it's simular as the Xtrend patch.
Probably this will work but it's better to wait for the official patches from VU+ as it seems nobody knows if their is patches or changes made into to drivers and linuxstb file.

I see no UBIFS support in VIX probably they wait for VU+ as well for this patch?
I suggest just wait for the real patches.

totally incorrect. i merged all vu linux kernel then recoded all the bb to match that of the trend bb, as it seemed a good idea to keep them as close as possible so all patches (for DVB and WIFI) could be used in each others bb's, this is why my git has all the etxx00's patch for DVB etc,

and my vu linux is running UBIFS, it is upto pli if they want to wait or use my git, that is their choice, but in my experience working with VU this last year, pli will be waiting a long time. and imo the only reason Xtrend did the patches is because they use pli image as a base for there manufacturers image. where as Vu don't

Andy.

Edited by andyblac, 26 December 2011 - 12:34.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #42 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 27 December 2011 - 16:23

Even though I probably like Andy's solution a lot better, I'm still going to wait for VU's official response. I assume they have some form of solstice holiday, just like we do.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #43 Madhatter

• 14 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 27 December 2011 - 17:17

Why wait for something that has not arrived, in that time all the other images are up to date and we are stuck on a old kernel.

just eat humble pies guys and use Andy's enhancements.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #44 andyblac

• 465 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 27 December 2011 - 17:20

Even though I probably like Andy's solution a lot better, I'm still going to wait for VU's official response. I assume they have some form of solstice holiday, just like we do.

thanks for the compliment, and just to let you know that vu are not on holiday atm, they are and have been hard at work.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #45 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 27 December 2011 - 17:24

Then maybe it's about time we remind them of their promise.

The fact that this suggests that you are in contact with them, yet they can't be bothered to reply to us, doesn't really give me a warm feeling about their commitments...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #46 andyblac

• 465 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 27 December 2011 - 17:32

Then maybe it's about time we remind them of their promise.

The fact that this suggests that you are in contact with them, yet they can't be bothered to reply to us, doesn't really give me a warm feeling about their commitments...

you are not alone, i get ignored all the time, just i know they read my emails because of receipts ;), this is why i say they always promise things but never deliver

Edited by andyblac, 27 December 2011 - 17:33.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #47 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 27 December 2011 - 17:33

But in between you did the work.....

Edited by littlesat, 27 December 2011 - 17:33.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #48 Pale-Rider

• 126 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 27 December 2011 - 20:21

well no disrespect intended but if we just sat around and waited for manufacturers to hand us every thing on a plate we would never have moved on from the basic images, i can see your point and i do somewhat agree that promises have been made and you want to make sure that those promises are upheld. but were in this as a hobby and some people just cant sit still and wait, they have to do kind of like andy.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #49 delagroov

• 1,579 posts

+21
Neutral

Posted 27 December 2011 - 21:43

I just have to say I am testing/using the Ultimo for a while now, and perhaps communication is sometimes behind and can
be frustrating(specially for coders), but in the end Vu+ delivered a top receiver with the Ultimo.

And it is already working amazingly good with kernel 3.1.1 out of the box....

And respect for Andy who really did a fast job to adapt the new kernel in just a few days..

Vu+ Solo2 / Atemio Nemesis / Et9000 / TM Twin / Spark2

Astra 1/2/3 en HB / Harmony Touch, & 600
https://github.com/d...in-PLi-Full-HD-Night

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #50 Roodkapke

• 5,782 posts

+29
Good

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:41

well no disrespect intended but if we just sat around and waited for manufacturers to hand us every thing on a plate we would never have moved on from the basic images, i can see your point and i do somewhat agree that promises have been made and you want to make sure that those promises are upheld. but were in this as a hobby and some people just cant sit still and wait, they have to do kind of like andy.

For now it seems Xtrend/ Clarke Tech is still holding up to it's promises.
VU+ doesn't seem to be in a hurry, to bad for the users who would like OpenPLi on it.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #51 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:13

It's not just about politics, even merging Andy's work will still be a few hours work.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #52 Alias1

• 575 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:18

Look who the cat dragged in :)

DM800se Vu+Duo ET-9000 Vu+Ultimo

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #53 HPPli

• 1,882 posts

+36
Good

Posted 28 December 2011 - 21:11

It's not just about politics, even merging Andy's work will still be a few hours work.

Don't be in a hurry for kernel 3.1.1. Yesterday and today I'll tested ViX with Pli-HD skin (works !) and could not find any better performance as OpenPli already offer with kernel 2.6.18.
Even, some of my family ask me kindly (they didn't now anything about the firmware test/switch of ViX) what's happening with the VU+DUO, it seems to be a little slower.

Ofcourse, we know the improvements of the newer kernel but for the normal work it is not necessary to force the Pli-team.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #54 metoo

• 1,573 posts

+33
Good

Posted 28 December 2011 - 23:26

+ 1

ET10000 C C C C/T  2TB HDD ET7000 + ET6000 dvb-S  OpenPli Triax 88 multifeed quad LNBs VU Uno4K SE C+2TB HDD Mutant HD60

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #55 neku

• 181 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:59

Don't be in a hurry for kernel 3.1.1. Yesterday and today I'll tested ViX with Pli-HD skin (works !) and could not find any better performance as OpenPli already offer with kernel 2.6.18.
Even, some of my family ask me kindly (they didn't now anything about the firmware test/switch of ViX) what's happening with the VU+DUO, it seems to be a little slower.

Ofcourse, we know the improvements of the newer kernel but for the normal work it is not necessary to force the Pli-team.

Didn't you notice a faster boot time?

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #56 HPPli

• 1,882 posts

+36
Good

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:39

Didn't you notice a faster boot time?

NO, not that all ..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #57 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:47

It is faster, although on 512 MB boxes this is more noticable then on 256 MB boxes.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #58 boutchous

• 84 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 29 December 2011 - 13:34

I agree with you , only zapping is a little faster but the rest is exactly the same
I don't know why you want absolutely this last kernel , i have tested last VIX , last Blackhole and last VTI for compare but everytimes i return to my favorite PLI and his "old kernel " :P

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #59 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 29 December 2011 - 13:47

I don't know why you want absolutely this last kernel ....

If it were only to get the latest drivers that would be reason enough. Old kernel drivers are no longer being developed, and the new ones already have been upgraded several times.

Re: Vu+ Kernel 3.1.1 beta #60 OldDeuteronomy

• 197 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 29 December 2011 - 17:06

Besides of that: I think we would not have these kind of boxes if we would always be like "I am satisfied with the old stuff". :D

It's simply a matter of principle to have the new kernel running. If someone is a "Never change a running system" guy, he/she might better get him-/herself a Technisat or Humax or something... :D

*scnr*

PS: Still, I completely get the point of the PLi team. I will stick to the original Vu+ image which is 3.1.1 based until PLi has an image ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users