BackupSuite

• Please log in to reply
1306 replies to this topic

Re: BackupSuite #441 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 21 December 2014 - 22:47

I don't know for sure, that's what I was wondering in this post: http://forums.openpl...ndpost&p=462697

The Solo SE and Zero are build with the option force.update, the Duo2 and Solo2 with reboot.update.

Anyone who has a Zero who can tell if the force.update does do a flash without confirmation?

For the time being I shall revert the last commit

Re: BackupSuite #442 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27,406 posts

+395
Excellent

Posted 21 December 2014 - 23:13

Anyone who has a Zero who can tell if the force.update does do a flash without confirmation?

To be honest, the first time I flashed a Zero, I had no clue what to do but eventually it appeared that I flashed a new image. So I assume they actually do a flash without any confirmation. ;)

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

Re: BackupSuite #443 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:16

To be honest, the first time I flashed a Zero, I had no clue what to do but eventually it appeared that I flashed a new image. So I assume they actually do a flash without any confirmation. ;)

That is correct, provided there is a file named "force.update".
So unfortunately back to the old DUO days.....

Re: BackupSuite #444 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:18

And hence virtually impossible to keep a copy of the image on an USB-stick that resides in the box (or better: it should not hold the file "force.update" at all, so users can manually change that when they do want to flash).

Re: BackupSuite #445 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:53

Made a new commit:

- For the Vu+ Solo SE and the Vu+ Zero the file noforce.update is added to the backup with the directions to rename it to force.update to be able to flash it;

- For the Vu+ Solo SE and the Vu+ Zero the directions to flash an image is added as message36;

Spoiler

- Changed the lookuptable.txt accordingly

- Removed some obsolete messages

- Tided up a little in the language files (need still some work however such as add translations in most language files)

These changes should be available after the next update, normally tomorrow, as version git20+git 11)

Re: BackupSuite #446 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2014 - 18:35

Pedro_Newbie

hd2400 and hd1100

where?

/proc/stb/info/boxtype or  /proc/stb/info/vumodel or ...

Edited by Dima73, 22 December 2014 - 18:35.

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: BackupSuite #447 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2014 - 19:21

Hi Dima73

In /proc/stb/info/boxtype, names are indeed hd2400 and hd1100

Re: BackupSuite #448 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 10,023 posts

+338
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2014 - 20:30

Hi Dima73

In /proc/stb/info/boxtype, names are indeed hd2400 and hd1100

Thank you very much.

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: BackupSuite #449 gerard0610

• 939 posts

+41
Good

Posted 24 December 2014 - 14:10

With the next update (tomorrow) it will be fixed.

After an update today (14:00h) still the same problem occur.

Is it possible that your change is not yet processed in the Image?

Re: BackupSuite #450 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 24 December 2014 - 14:16

Indeed, the changes are still not processed in the new images, why it isn't in the new images I don't know.

Maybe some Openpli dev knows why it isn't processed?

Re: BackupSuite #451 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:09

@gerard0610

If you update now you should get the last version, at least for the Solo2 and ET8000 this is the case.

Re: BackupSuite #452 gerard0610

• 939 posts

+41
Good

Posted 25 December 2014 - 16:40

@gerard0610

If you update now you should get the last version, at least for the Solo2 and ET8000 this is the case.

A short feedback:

I have upgraded the VU+Zero, made afterwards a backup (Backupsuite) and tried to flash the Backup without result. Still the old problem.

Attached Files

Re: BackupSuite #453 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2014 - 16:54

You'll have to rename noforce.update to force.update otherwise it won't flash. This is done because you could otherwise unintentionally flash your Zero if you reboot your receiver with the USB stick still attached.

What happens if you reboot with the USB stick inserted but with the file noforce.update? Does the powerlight blinks at reboot?

With the Solo2 you have to push the powerbutton when the image is found.

Could you try to reboot your receiver with the USB-stick attached and observe the powerlight?

Better would be making a log while rebooting with the stick attached, I'm wondering if the bootloader waits for a key press or not.

So to recapture: to be able to flash rename noforce.update to force.update

Or to be complete as stated in the message-file:

To restore the image:
First rename the file 'noforce.update' on your USB-stick into 'force.update'.
Place USB stick in the USB slot and switch the receiver off and on with the powerswitch.
Update is in progress when the white light becomes gradually bright and dark on the front panel.
Update is done when white light blinks on the front panel.

Edited by Pedro_Newbie, 25 December 2014 - 16:55.

Re: BackupSuite #454 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2014 - 17:10

I see a putty log won't go, no RS232 interface anymore on the Zero, too bad.

edit: strange the specifications states there is a rs232

Edited by Pedro_Newbie, 25 December 2014 - 17:12.

Re: BackupSuite #455 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2014 - 17:42

There is, but you need a special cable (connector) for it.

Re: BackupSuite #456 Micky

• 162 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:31

Backup did not boot from all kind of USB sticks. Why? It is possible to make the backup on the stick, but it did not boot. I use a Vu+SOLO.

Micky

Edited by Micky, 26 December 2014 - 03:32.

Opticum X406p from 2,8E - 41E, VU+ Solo from 0,8W - 30W, 2 x Dish Opticum LH-100 cm
Lnb's:  Inverto Black Ultra, MEGASAT HD Profi Twin,  2 x Rotor Jaeger Sat SG 2500

Re: BackupSuite #457 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:24

What do you mean by: did not boot?

You can't flash your Solo with the  back-up from the USB-stick?

Try a different USB-stick, the smaller and older the better in most cases

You can try to flash it via the BackupSuite with the Blue button = Restore back-up

Re: BackupSuite #458 gerard0610

• 939 posts

+41
Good

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:12

You'll have to rename noforce.update to force.update otherwise it won't flash. This is done because you could otherwise unintentionally flash your Zero if you reboot your receiver with the USB stick still attached.

What happens if you reboot with the USB stick inserted but with the file noforce.update? Does the powerlight blinks at reboot?

With the Solo2 you have to push the powerbutton when the image is found.

Could you try to reboot your receiver with the USB-stick attached and observe the powerlight?

Better would be making a log while rebooting with the stick attached, I'm wondering if the bootloader waits for a key press or not.

So to recapture: to be able to flash rename noforce.update to force.update

Or to be complete as stated in the message-file:

To restore the image:
First rename the file 'noforce.update' on your USB-stick into 'force.update'.
Place USB stick in the USB slot and switch the receiver off and on with the powerswitch.
Update is in progress when the white light becomes gradually bright and dark on the front panel.
Update is done when white light blinks on the front panel.

I have the Zero for test reasons. Normally I use the old VU+Duo.

With the VU+Duo I flash (the by the Backup suite made backup) without renaming a file on the USB stick. This is for me much easy and comfortable in my opinion.

I thought that you had renamed the file 'noforce.update' into 'force.update in the BackupSuite by default a couple of days ago.

Now I understand from you that I should each time  rename the file 'noforce.update' on my USB-stick into 'force.update.
I understand that you have introduced this because of safety reasons however for me it is uncomfortable and I prefer the situation as it is actually by the VU+Duo without renaming the file

Re: BackupSuite #459 chafpa

• 197 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:22

Totally agree with this way of doing !

Re: BackupSuite #460 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:25

With the VU+Duo I flash (the by the Backup suite made backup) without renaming a file on the USB stick. This is for me much easy and comfortable in my opinion.

I thought that you had renamed the file 'noforce.update' into 'force.update in the BackupSuite by default a couple of days ago.

The DUO & Zero2 have a different flash behaviour. This is dictated by the bootloader; there's nothing we can change in that area.
And it is as you say: the DUO flashes when it finds a valid image-folder during the first stage of the boot-process.

The Zero only flashes, when it finds the file 'force.update' in a valid image folder. The USB-backup copy is intended as a kind of safety copy, if it would hold the above named file the box would flash on every boot.
So: safety first: the file is named 'noforce.update' to prevent accidental flashes.

BTW: Most boxes require a dedicated button-press to accept a flash. This is the most convenient and safe method. For reasons we can only guess VU+ decided to go back in time and use this very user-unfriendly method.
Please try to convince VU+ that they should try to keep up with modern methods.

Edited by SatKiekerd, 26 December 2014 - 10:26.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users