• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #21 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 18 August 2012 - 23:24

The preview in the channel list was indeed an idea of ViX. An Openpli forum guast mentioned it on our forum that as was an invention of the Aaf image ;-) Wih regards to Andy from Vix.... http://openpli.org/f...w-mode-on-pli3/
I also likeled it, but I did not like the way it was implemented. This because an extra config was required an that 2 x OK.... so I created here my own version from scratch and also changed it so no config setting was required, not 2 x OK was required and usual use is the same as it was before.... and it better covers pipzap...

I also saw my version of this feature was also adapted by ViX ;)
https://github.com/O...8ddbcc3c328414a

And they can simpy do it and are free to use it.... OpenPli is FREE!!!

OK the preview was an idea of ViX... Thanks ViX for that idea!!!

But were is this discussion about.... OpenSource and GPL means we may profit from each others idea's...

Rgrds,

Littlesat

Edited by littlesat, 18 August 2012 - 23:37.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #22 andyblac

• 465 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 19 August 2012 - 16:44

The preview in the channel list was indeed an idea of ViX. An Openpli forum guast mentioned it on our forum that as was an invention of the Aaf image ;-) Wih regards to Andy from Vix.... http://openpli.org/f...w-mode-on-pli3/
I also likeled it, but I did not like the way it was implemented. This because an extra config was required an that 2 x OK.... so I created here my own version from scratch and also changed it so no config setting was required, not 2 x OK was required and usual use is the same as it was before.... and it better covers pipzap...

But were is this discussion about.... OpenSource and GPL means we may profit from each others idea's...

Rgrds,

Littlesat

Let me say this for the record: I have no problems with PLi using my code; the only thing that I would have liked is a mention in their GIT, just like I do when I merge. I spend a lot of time trying to merge in a way that keeps the originator's name assigned the code, but that's something that PLi does not seem to care about if they use or take inspiration from my code. This all started from PLi asking where their recognition was in our release notes, but I get nothing from PLi anywhere, not even in their git's: it's a 2-way street you know! And yes, it's known that ViX pulls stuff from PLi of which comes allot of good features, but I have to do a lot of work in merging into my git's, as my code base is now vastly different from PLi's,

You mentioned channel list code. Yes I reviewed my preview code, but only to try to keep merges as simple as possible. And I remember you saying you would have to 'research' more to get it work, so I'm assuming you looked my code for your research?

Anyway, I think this is turning into a discussion that I do not really want to get involved in......

So from me personally a thanks somewhere in your git's if you use my code as a base for your code would have been nice. just as I when using PLi's code!

Edited by andyblac, 19 August 2012 - 17:16.

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #23 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 17:16

Sorry, the whole world can see I did not copy or merge a single line of code to make the preview on the servicelist as your implementation with 2x OK and a config setting required I did not like.... But thanks for the idea... And thanks for not mentioning based on OpenPli on your release notes and that we must be happy that you merge... Sorry that I did take just one idea from you.....

Have a nice day!!!

Edited by littlesat, 19 August 2012 - 19:14.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #24 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 17:27

So from me personally a thanks somewhere in your git's if you use my code as a base for your code would have been nice. just as I when using PLi's code!

If that's such a big issue, could you please point to just one or two examples?
beside this famous 'preview in channel selection' feature 'inspiration' (after all, no single line of vix code has been embedded into openpli git in this case/?/), in which exactly commit(s) such situation has happened?
I am just really curious, seriously...
apparently it has to happen quite often, since any mention of openpli - vix relationship causes such annoyance... ;)

//and I know answering to my questions is not worth your effort, anyway, I decided try again :D
thank you
True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #25 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 18:53

Let me say this for the record: I have no problems with PLi using my code; the only thing that I would have liked is a mention in their GIT, just like I do when I merge. I spend a lot of time trying to merge in a way that keeps the originator's name assigned the code, but that's something that PLi does not seem to care about if they use or take inspiration from my code. This all started from PLi asking where their recognition was in our release notes, but I get nothing from PLi anywhere, not even in their git's

I am not aware of any PLi policy to remove your (or anybodies) name from any git commits we merge.

And personally, I don't care about whether or not I get 'thanked' for my work, I even think it's a bit childish to demand such a thing. (demanding respect is a certain way of losing it as far as I'm concerned)
There's only a few ways to get me angry, one of which is bending the truth, and publicly accusing the PLi team of stealing your code, after all that we've helped you with, that feels like a knife in the back.

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #26 Carl

• 367 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 19 August 2012 - 19:28

Curious see that VIX has started to distribute 3 trademarks and searching resellers :)
XP1000, Clarketech CT9000 and a VU+ duo

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #27 Sicilian

• 454 posts

Neutral

Posted 19 August 2012 - 19:32

Curious see that VIX has started to distribute 3 trademarks and searching resellers :)

What on earth are you talking about??

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #28 Sicilian

• 454 posts

Neutral

Posted 19 August 2012 - 19:47

Let me say this for the record: I have no problems with PLi using my code; the only thing that I would have liked is a mention in their GIT, just like I do when I merge. I spend a lot of time trying to merge in a way that keeps the originator's name assigned the code, but that's something that PLi does not seem to care about if they use or take inspiration from my code. This all started from PLi asking where their recognition was in our release notes, but I get nothing from PLi anywhere, not even in their git's

I am not aware of any PLi policy to remove your (or anybodies) name from any git commits we merge.

And personally, I don't care about whether or not I get 'thanked' for my work, I even think it's a bit childish to demand such a thing. (demanding respect is a certain way of losing it as far as I'm concerned)
There's only a few ways to get me angry, one of which is bending the truth, and publicly accusing the PLi team of stealing your code, after all that we've helped you with, that feels like a knife in the back.

Pieterg, I've been trying to stay out of this but I feel you need to be reminded that it was littlesat who came to the ViX forum with the thank you demands.

You talk about helping Andy, I think you should take a look in our private room at a particular post started22 May 2012 - 09:59 by Andy. Where was the help then? Did any of your team actually look or listen to Andy's ideas? Personally I feel this is was the trigger point to where we are today.

Edited by Sicilian, 19 August 2012 - 19:51.

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #29 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 19:55

It was indeed me that put a notification on your forum that I miss thanks to the openPLi team on your release note....As I think this should be appropriate...

http://www.world-of-...openPLi-message

In the release notes of the latest image of 15-Aug-2012 we do miss a based on OpenPLi message and/or a thanks to the PLi team...

And you did close that thread as it should not be discussed in the open.

Where is the thanks to Andyblac whenever any of his work is used?

Nonetheless we are not having a public debate about it here, theres a place for discussions like this and its not here. We have a ViX/PLi discussion room you know where.

Thread closed.

A same question I asked on github at a big merge you did from the OpenPli forum...

Oh.... boy it was still a question because I thought you forgot to mention us on your release notes by accident... If I know that it should has these results.....??? And that you were hooked this way????

Edited by littlesat, 19 August 2012 - 19:56.

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #30 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 19:58

Pieterg, I've been trying to stay out of this but I feel you need to be reminded that it was littlesat who came to the ViX forum with the thank you demands.

then you should have worked this out with littlesat, instead of what you're doing now.

You talk about helping Andy, I think you should take a look in our private room at a particular post started22 May 2012 - 09:59 by Andy. Where was the help then? Did any of your team actually look or listen to Andy's ideas? Personally I feel this is was the trigger point to where we are today.

I must have overlooked that topic. But look at all the other topics though where we were able to help Andy out. Those did not help to raise his trigger point?

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #31 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,274 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 19 August 2012 - 20:03

then you should have worked this out with littlesat, instead of what you're doing now.

Yes.... give me a PM....
But I already explained....

Edited by littlesat, 19 August 2012 - 20:08.

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #32 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 20 August 2012 - 16:03

Friends please stop this thread.
It is born around a stupid assumption.
Every image is the best in the mind of the users and fun of a single team and every coder is the best in their opinion.
I am sure that we all know this very well so every such a kind of discussion about the best image/coder is stupid.
Registering in a board team to write that one image is better than the home is only a provocations that deserves no answer.

About the innovations or the user interface or the skin and the graphics we all know that there are many ideas and original works outside Pli too.
But i think that all the teams have to remember that Pli team have working hard mainly to mantain and improve their gits and base packages that are the basecode of many other images so it can happens that other coders (that benefit of base packages Pli work) have most time and care about gui innovations. Everyone have own style and preferences but it is sure that many teams benefit from Pli works more than Pli works benefit of other teams ideas or code inspiration.
So please stop this thread i am sure that andyblac and pli coders are all coorect guys and can clarify in private any issue about thanks and credits.

Just we have all to remember to all users of all team-images to respect the work of all the coders and the teams because this is not a race or a religion war, it is only an hobby and we all make own better.

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #33 Pale-Rider

• 126 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 20 August 2012 - 19:42

Friends please stop this thread.
It is born around a stupid assumption.
Every image is the best in the mind of the users and fun of a single team and every coder is the best in their opinion.
I am sure that we all know this very well so every such a kind of discussion about the best image/coder is stupid.
Registering in a board team to write that one image is better than the home is only a provocations that deserves no answer.

About the innovations or the user interface or the skin and the graphics we all know that there are many ideas and original works outside Pli too.
But i think that all the teams have to remember that Pli team have working hard mainly to mantain and improve their gits and base packages that are the basecode of many other images so it can happens that other coders (that benefit of base packages Pli work) have most time and care about gui innovations. Everyone have own style and preferences but it is sure that many teams benefit from Pli works more than Pli works benefit of other teams ideas or code inspiration.
So please stop this thread i am sure that andyblac and pli coders are all coorect guys and can clarify in private any issue about thanks and credits.

Just we have all to remember to all users of all team-images to respect the work of all the coders and the teams because this is not a race or a religion war, it is only an hobby and we all make own better.

well said. at the end of the day we are all here to work together to provide the end user with the best possible Enigma 2 experience. why fight when we should be working together ?.

you just have to look at what can be accomplished when teams work together as in the case of the newly founded OE-ALLIANCE which now comprises of 9 seperate teams working togher to better their images for the community.

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #34 mika-nl

• 454 posts

+10
Neutral

Posted 20 August 2012 - 21:57

Rgrds,

Littlesat

I think that is the power from open source.
People can use the idea or code to make it better .
as littlesat say the vix idea was good but pli dont like tomuch options so he rewrite it for the pli idea.
and it wil be nice other people can make it more better.

I am sure a image is complex so it is nice to help and learn from each other.
because why put time in something what is make or fix by a other person.
So dont fight or be the best it is not a game . It is for fun and hobby for most people.

MiKa

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #35 jeffphil

• 116 posts

+7
Neutral

Posted 20 August 2012 - 22:08

I must commend all the teams for forming the OE-Alliance and can I suggest that all users of the various images will benifit from the advances that have come and surely will come from the alliance.
Until The Wheels are off the ground there is still hope

DM500,DM600,DM800HD,VU+ Duo

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #36 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 20 August 2012 - 22:50

you just have to look at what can be accomplished when teams work together as in the case of the newly founded OE-ALLIANCE which now comprises of 9 seperate teams working togher to better their images for the community.

I don't think that the number of the teams is important but i think it is important the quality of the contributions.
And i don't think that the future is in OE 2.
Anyway my best wishes for this "OE-ALLIANCE", i hope it will be useful for the community like Pli and all the open works of many ppl till now.

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #37 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:22

I remember - a while back now - recommending a "tie-up" of sorts, of various teams writing for AZbox HD, with similar arguments to the ones mentioned here behind it... Human foibles came in, to make it impossible... That's all I'm gonna say on this topic...

Now, somebody is trying it again... Moreover, I see similar efforts in other directions, too - yet another alliance... Well, good luck to you, guys - that's the spirit!!! But as somebody mentioned, it's not a done deal yet! It's the contributions that count!

Oh, and learn a little lesson from history of science, for instance, please: do "quote" and "credit" each other with gusto!!! It prevents this sort of thing...

A BIG THANX to all of you who have something to contribute and find it in your hearts to give it freely, for I find you really rich people!!!
<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: relationship between hfreaks- and vix-images and openpli #38 Roodkapke

• 5,782 posts

+29
Good

Posted 22 August 2012 - 18:55

"And on that bombshell" i will close this topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users