Photo

Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images

UBIFS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
182 replies to this topic

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #41 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 5 April 2013 - 14:54

Does this only happen on your box, or on other people's systems as well? I have never seen this problem before.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #42 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 5 April 2013 - 15:11

when mkfs.ext4 is missing, this means the hardlink to mkfs.ext4dev has failed.
Most likely, your ubifs was created with the wrong parameters.

In the original jffs2 rootfs (or in ubifs rootfilesystems on other settopboxes, created by the openpli buildserver) the mkfs.ext4 hardlink is available, and initializing usb sticks or harddrives should work fine.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #43 jalizi

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 April 2013 - 09:58

Is jtr install&works on the DM800HD PVR ?

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #44 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 7 April 2013 - 15:20

Please read the first page of this thread - it clearly states that you need an up to date OpenPLi OE 3.0 Image as a starting point for converting to UBIFS.

Do you get such OpenPLi images for the old 800 ?

= question answered.

Regarding the hardlink problem, what device did you use for the conversion of the nfi image. If you use for example an CIFS mounted share this will not support any hardlinks and then you will get this problem that the hardlinks get lost when JTR extracts the nfi for changing drivers and kernel and then off course the backup will not include them either.

Edited by gutemine, 7 April 2013 - 15:21.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #45 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 7 April 2013 - 20:03

Just for info: The missing hardlinks are a problem of the nfidump Version I've put into the kit.

But as this is the only released version with ubifs support I'll have to compile a new nfidump binary.

As soon as this is available I'll produce a new kit.

Until then simply create the needed symlink or hardlink in telnet as I already suggested as a workaround a few replies up in the thread.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #46 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 10 April 2013 - 16:01

Does anybody have the time to test the attached Version 0.6.1 with the nfidump 0.9.4 with the fix for the hardlink support ?

I didn't, just replaced the binaries and re-built the ipk - hopefully it works now as it should.

gutemine

Attached Files

Edited by gutemine, 10 April 2013 - 16:01.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #47 Dutchdude

• 64 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:32

@Gutemine,

is it also possible to make a .nfi backup from my installed up to date OpenPLi OE 3.0 Image with Dflash.

And have this .nfi converted and flashed back?

Or should i use a fresh nightly build?

thx :-)

VuDuo4K, Zgemma H2H, DM8000

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #48 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:34

If the image is up-to-date it doesn't matter if you convert a backup nfi or a fresh image nfi to ubifs.

So the correct sequence would be Updating image, backup image with dFlash and mkfs.jffs2 as backup tool, flash OE 2.0 Image from DMM page (or OoZooN if you want also initramfs patch), update the OE 2.0 image if needed, install JTR, convert PLi Image and then flash converted PLI image.

BUT be aware, if PLi updates kernel and/or drivers and is NOT including the ubifs support as suggested your image could fail booting after the upgrade - hence keep the converted nfi as backup or repeat the procedure if needed.

JTR is for mainly for testing UBIFS and latest drivers and kernels with PLi  - and realize that they don't do any harm :-)

Edited by gutemine, 12 April 2013 - 06:35.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #49 Dutchdude

• 64 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:50

@Gutemine,

I installed the latest OOzoon image and the last 0.6.1 JTR plugin.

I moved a fresh Openpli backup.nfi to /media/hdd/backup/ (checked the path under blue settings)

Read the disclaimer, and selected green for conversion.

I get the "Enter Imagename" but there is no way i can type any name or browse.

Also under Blue i see no compression options to choose from....

On Blue in the JTR Plugin you may change UBIFS root file compression (default is zlib for 800se and 500hd to save space, and favour_lzo for the 8000 and 7020hd)

After reading the Disclaimer on Yellow you can start Conversion of an up.to-date OE 3.0 OpenPLI*.nfi Image for your box that you copied to the above backup directory.

Any idea ? :-)

Edited by Dutchdude, 13 April 2013 - 07:51.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #50 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:15

Well, the first idea that comes to my mind is why you are not even telling on WHICH Dreambox you are trying to use JTR ...

Edited by gutemine, 13 April 2013 - 08:15.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #51 Dutchdude

• 64 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:34

:-) still early :-)

its a DM8000

And JTR also is showing 8000 in the settings.

Edited by Dutchdude, 13 April 2013 - 08:35.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #52 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:34

Second idea is that after 47 downloads of 0.6.1 it is funny that nobody really used it ... so PLi Users didn't pass the test :-)

Anyway, try the attached 0.6.2 JTR Special Edition

Attached Files

Edited by gutemine, 13 April 2013 - 08:38.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #53 Dutchdude

• 64 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:47

Will test tomorrow morning.

Service window has been closed (girlfriend wokeup) :-)

Will post the results ....

thx

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #54 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:48

You are welcome :-)

Better give her a good morning kiss.

1 tester tomorrow is better then no tester since a couple of days, so I'm pragmatic.

Edited by gutemine, 13 April 2013 - 08:48.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #55 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:07

That not many are willing to test only impress that dmm is approx two years too late with ubifs...

Edited by littlesat, 13 April 2013 - 11:08.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #56 jakey

• 129 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:29

I Had the same problem as Dutchdude but seems ok now with jtr6.2.

Seems there is a bigger problem, Pli converted images seem not to backup correctly with dflash, when flashed back the 8000 won't boot, it seems the pirate penguin has been made to walk the plank and the original dmm bootlogo is back.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #57 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:57

PLI is now almost 6 months behind in Drivers and Kernel on the Dreamboxes, so I think you are misinterpreting WHO is late.

And if you would contribute to the dFlash testing instead of just posting doesn't work on the wrong place btw., then it would have been fixed much earlier.

Try the released ersion 9.4 of dFlash and you will be able to successfully backup and restore jffs2 with zlib or lzo compression and ubifs of an up-to-date image.

gutemine works easy, giving code and taking testing inputs, if this becomes a one way ...

Edited by gutemine, 13 April 2013 - 13:01.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #58 jalizi

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:10

The missing hardlinks , the problem of the nfidump Version you've put into the kit , is compeletly solved in new version.

but why when i try freeze plugin , no device will be detect by freeze plugin ? by which of your plugins(Except the BA) we can expanding the flash size of receiver in ubipli image ?

thanks

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #59 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:22

I have now answered already multiply that for your Multiboot and Flash Extension questions this Board and this Thread are NOT the proper place as PLi doesn't support any Multibooting and the mentionend plugins have their kit and support threads somewhere else.

As there is no need for squeezing out any squashfs images you can use the PLI Version of the Flash Expander somewhere posted in this board, or ask in the Freeze Plugin and Support Thread for Expanding Support, or use the just released rambo 0.11.  

Dumbo or BA aren not really sensemaking as then ubifs will be gone and it doesn't make any difference if you start with an ubifs or jffs2 image when it is extracted to an ext4 Filesystem.

Edited by gutemine, 13 April 2013 - 19:27.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #60 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 13 April 2013 - 21:31

PS: You can try out Freeze 0.7.1 - this now supports ALL partitions on a device for Freezeing and therefore should also support PLi Images.

But this is NOT the Freeze Support Thread in case you still have problems.

Edited by gutemine, 13 April 2013 - 21:32.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UBIFS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users