Photo

Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images

UBIFS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
182 replies to this topic

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #61 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 13 April 2013 - 21:57

PLI is now almost 6 months behind in Drivers and Kernel on the Dreamboxes, so I think you are misinterpreting WHO is late.

DMM is late.... far too late... and in addition their enigma2 binaries are closed source. In between we like opensource...

Possibly that is why DMM is a bit out of our attention... ;)

Edited by littlesat, 13 April 2013 - 21:59.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #62 jalizi

• 27 posts

Neutral

Posted 13 April 2013 - 22:04

thank you gutemine !

ONLY gutemine can to do what is gutemine doing !

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #63 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 13 April 2013 - 22:08

@littlesat

I'm pretty sure that you have NOT the sources of the drivers of ANY of the other boxes that you are supporting - so where is the difference ???

You are NOT having the sources of the Opera webbrowser some other boxes are delivering - so where is the difference ???

If you are NOT interested in combining your 'great' open source enigma2 (which you would NOT have if there would be no DMM)  with the latest kernel and drivers (and ubifs) as you do for the other boxes, then you are simply discreminating DMM and all users owning such a box.

Which is your, or the PLI team's decision, but then you should communicate it this way and not try to look better then you are, or present yourself as the defenders of OpenSource.

Anyway, as I already said - it looks like you didn't pass the test.

Edited by gutemine, 13 April 2013 - 22:11.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #64 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 13 April 2013 - 22:36

I cannot pass the test at DMM boxes... as I currently do not use DMM boxes.... The only DMM box I currenly own is a good old DM800HD with extreme old kernel. DMM does not upgrade this box anymore with drivers on newer kernels. Even their latest boxes are based on old drivers...

This is  just my personal meaning....

Since May 2011, which is almost 2 years from now... DMM does currently do  not give me anny added value...

I cannot pass the test you pointing me to. But please note I did experience the same test with another box which is almost two years ago... 

Opera is closed source, I agree... buy the QT browser from DMM too... even more... all binary cpp stuff from enigma2 is also closed source...

And please note Milo did already improve something to DMM boxes......

Edited by littlesat, 13 April 2013 - 22:39.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #65 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 13 April 2013 - 22:47

The OpenSource QT browser was up and running including all QT Applications already > 1 year ago - ask emanuel.

PLi could therefore without ANY problem include it in their Image as it is completely open source.

Pointing therefore to closed sources on the browser field and blaming DMM once more is therefore also misleading as it would then be you who failed to leverage on the benefits of open Source while praying it.

And there is a big problem from my side - PLi doesn't give me any added value since more then 6 months either ;-)

But I have to agree that my usecase is ... special and maybe I'm simply to dumb to see it.

PS: I didn't point you to any test, I just told you that you failed it.

Edited by gutemine, 13 April 2013 - 22:50.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #66 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:18

At least there is a jdr that might fix it...

Edited by littlesat, 14 April 2013 - 07:15.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #67 Dutchdude

• 64 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:33

@Gutemine,

maybe its just me, but still i see no option to browse or type the to be converted .nfi.

Just "enter imagename"  (see screenshot) Attached File  screenshot.jpg   17.72KB   47 downloads

I checked the path in settings /media/hdd/backup and its correct and exists.

The backupfilename i use is OpenPLI.nfi

I used Dflash 9.4 to create the openpli backup, and use the last Oozoon OE2.0 beta image as source.

And your last JDR plugin.

any more ideas? :)

thx

Edited by Dutchdude, 14 April 2013 - 08:37.

VuDuo4K, Zgemma H2H, DM8000

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #68 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:38

@littlesat

To be honest there should not have been any need for JTR. It is just to proove that it works without ANY problems to have latest kernel and drivers and ubifs in a PLi image on dreamboxes. So JTR doesn#t fix anything, it just prooves that your excuses are not having any real ground.

It took me a few hours to make it  and now I had to realize that it was a waste of time and I gave the people only false hopes that they have a Dreambox which is fully supported by OpenPLi team. This is simply sad, very sad.

@Dutchdude

When you did the dFlash backup, did you specify /media/hdd/backup also in the dFlash settings as the location for the backup ?

After the flashing of the original OE 2.0 Image from DMM, did you go to the storage manager and selected the harddisk for mounting at /media/hdd ?

Because this looks simply like the harddisk is not mounted at the same place, hence no nfi is found.

Log on in telnet and do a df -h and an ls -alh /media/hdd/backup and post the output so that we see what you did.

If you mounted the harddisk at the /media/<uuid> becusue this is the default in OE 2.0, then unmount it and choose manual mount point and then select again /media/hdd as you maybe had in PLi before due to the Label mounting.

gutemine

Edited by gutemine, 14 April 2013 - 08:43.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #69 Dutchdude

• 64 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:11

Hi,

looks like this is the problem ;)

root@dm8000:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi0:rootfs             225.0M     49.3M    175.7M  22% /
devtmpfs                155.1M         0    155.1M   0% /dev
none                     73.0M    896.0K     72.1M   1% /var/volatile
/dev/mtdblock2            7.0M      3.6M      3.4M  52% /boot
/dev/disk/by-uuid/56e4e061-7dd7-4036-95f2-e8831d4d056d
                        596.1G    293.2G    302.9G  49% /media/hdd
/dev/disk/by-uuid/e82b5dd7-2a3b-425c-85f8-45cdcb50729a
                          3.7G    453.5M      3.2G  12% /media/cf
root@dm8000:~#  ls -alh /media/hdd/backup
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root        4.0K Apr 14  2013 .
drwxr-xr-x   12 root     root        4.0K Apr 14  2013 ..
---------x    1 root     root           0 Feb  3  2013 .timestamp
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        4.0K Apr 13  2013 NFI Archive
-rw-------    1 root     root       72.1M Apr 14  2013 OpenPLI.nfi
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        4.0K Sep 30  2012 Plugins
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root        4.0K Dec 14  2012 restore
root@dm8000:~#

Edited by Dutchdude, 14 April 2013 - 09:14.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #70 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:18

No this is not the Problem, if you use uuid mounting to mount it at /media/hdd

But JTR Special Edition for OpenPLi checks if OpenPLi (with small i at the end) is in the nfi Imagename.

As you have a capital PLI simply rename the nfi image and it should work.

Edited by gutemine, 14 April 2013 - 09:18.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #71 Dutchdude

• 64 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:35

@Gutemine,

:D  that small i did the trick.

I flashed the converted nfi back.

All seems to be working fine.

The boot time was shorter, and the overall speed/response of the box is a bit faster. :)

So it was worth it.

I hope Openpli will start using UBIFS in their DM builds soon, as its really worth the speed/performance increase.

Just one small question, is it possible to change the first boot logo of the pirate pinguin to something else ;)  :D  ;)

Thx for your time and help! :)

Attached File  screenshot.1.jpg   55.77KB   38 downloads

Edited by Dutchdude, 14 April 2013 - 10:38.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #72 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:52

Thanks for your testing and feedback.

I've created the attached 0.6.3 of JTR which checks only for OpenPL so that this i/I problem should not occure anymore.

There is always hope, but with the mindset that PLi has shown I now have my doubts that they will give the Dreamboxes what they deserve.

gutemine is very sensitive for discremination, and on one hand to use DMM Driver implementation as the reference/standard to argument why the don't wnat to apply patches to overcome different implementations of VU+ Drivers and on the other hand sticking to already very old DMM drivers with known bugs which were long ago fixed and which aren ot supported anymore by DMM as in the experimental Path always only the latest ones are supported gives a bitter taste and is a kind of naivety I will not comment any further.

DMM had their Hybris, and the have to live with the results, and it looks that PLi Team is now going the same way and will have to live with the consequences such decisions have.

But this is just the personal opinion of a dumb person not able to understand OpenSource.

gutemine

PS: Regarding the Bootlogo - it is just a normal bootlogo.jpg which can be changed/removed the normal way.

Attached Files

Edited by gutemine, 14 April 2013 - 10:56.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #73 offnow

• 56 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:27

Hmmmm

Maybe everybody is right in his mind.

I think we have to clean in front of our own door - than we can have look what others are doing.

All are crying - the others are the bad guys - WE are ALWAYS right...

I think this is ballaballa

My personal opinion: Supporting dmm is "pearls for the swine"

hab keine Lust mehr...

Viel Spaß allen und lebt wohl

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #74 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 14 April 2013 - 18:07

Maybe you should first spend some time reading the parable of the prodigal son in the bible, before judging somebody who enjoys sheperding swines

Edited by gutemine, 14 April 2013 - 18:10.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #75 offnow

• 56 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2013 - 19:27

Maybe everybody is right in his mind.

I think we have to clean in front of our own door - than we can have look what others are doing.

All are crying - the others are the bad guys - WE are ALWAYS right...

as I wrote...

hab keine Lust mehr...

Viel Spaß allen und lebt wohl

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #76 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 14 April 2013 - 19:58

You are still not understanding that nobody does any fovours for DMM, it are all the Dreambox owners which are taken hostage here and have to suffer from old drivers, kernels, ...

And as JTR and the comments here in the thread show it is not for techical reasons it is pure political.

I can live with that, but it is sad and the users and developers will remember.

PS: and yes I red the irony in beeing allways right.

Edited by gutemine, 14 April 2013 - 19:59.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #77 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 April 2013 - 23:55

Politics? It's about profits, pure and simple!

And it seems "all means are potentially necessary" in the fight to secure the profits...

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #78 luis67

• 76 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:02

@Gutemine,I did all the right steps but for me it doesnt work.Booting message appears and then nothing.First i used dflash latest version and did full backup on latest openpli image with plugins installed like mytube,subtitleplayer..."not clean open pli image"then i used dreamup and flashed to latest "clean" ozoon experimental version,install jack the ripper latest version and convert,used dreamup again and flashed the converted image but booting message appears remains for ages.

Edited by luis67, 15 April 2013 - 04:07.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #79 luis67

• 76 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:26

@Gutemine,I did all the right steps but for me it doesnt work.Booting message appears and then nothing.First i used dflash latest version and did full backup on latest openpli image with plugins installed like mytube,subtitleplayer..."not clean open pli image"then i used dreamup and flashed to latest "clean" ozoon experimental version,install jack the ripper latest version and convert,used dreamup again and flashed the converted image but booting message appears remains for ages.

I also tried with fresh open pli image and still the problem remains,booting message screen and nothing.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #80 jakey

• 129 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:27

If you had previously enabled 'Autobackup' plugin and in particular the 'Create Autoinstall' the new image will be trying to download and install all your old plugins, this takes a long time and makes it seem as though the box is stuck booting.

If you have it, better to remove /media/hdd/backup/autoinstallxxxxxxxx

and start afresh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UBIFS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users