• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #21 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2013 - 19:09

But the netto result should be the same.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #22 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 28 September 2013 - 19:19

@Erik: Forgive me if I am saying something stupid, but I understand that the "delay" option just takes care when the subtitle is first displayed. Not its duration. Maybe you mean that a second subtitle might overwrite the previous one, but that's not the case. It's not a new subtitle that overwrites the previous one, it's just that the subtitle dissapears immediately - I've seen it on some Sky Italia channels too.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #23 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2013 - 19:23

Like said before, a subtitle has no endtime. It disappears because a new one - an empty one - is overwriting the previous none.

So what the provider does is send both at almost the same time, relying one "some" internal mechanism in the receiver to delay the second one.

It's not so easy actually to build such a workaround in enigma, because it's not that easy to detect an empty subtitle, at least with teletext subtitles, I don't have much experience with dvb subtitles. Teletext "clearing" subtitles tend to be full of transparent characters and metadata. To detect empty dvb subs, enigma would need to scan complete bitmaps (they're graphic...) unless there is somewhere a metadata bit that says it's empty...

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #24 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 28 September 2013 - 19:38

OK, I understood that. So, an option that never shows a new subtitle unless 2 seconds have passed would work on the fast dissapear, but would create problems on displaying of next subtitles or fast dispaying ones (on a dialog for example).

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #25 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2013 - 19:46

Why not display first subtitle (1), fetch the next one (2) but dont display it yet but wait for a new subtitle(3). On receive of this new one (3) display the one on hold (2)

So now the new subtitle (3) is on hold and will be displayed when new subtitle (4) arrives

1 -> show

2 -> fetch and store, wait for arrival of 3

3 -> fetch and store, now show 2

4 -> fetch and store, now show 3

5-> fetch and store, now show 4

Am I overlooking something?

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #26 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:23

OK, I understood that. So, an option that never shows a new subtitle unless 2 seconds have passed would work on the fast dissapear, but would create problems on displaying of next subtitles or fast dispaying ones (on a dialog for example).

That could be a workaround, but I think we'd need to check the current "delay when timing lacks" first, as it seems to be inoperative.

TS: what channel do you see this behaviour on? Sometimes subtitles are transmitted unencrypted, so we may have a look.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #27 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:24

Why not display first subtitle (1), fetch the next one (2) but dont display it yet but wait for a new subtitle(3). On receive of this new one (3) display the one on hold (2)

So now the new subtitle (3) is on hold and will be displayed when new subtitle (4) arrives

1 -> show

Yes, that means you will get stuck on a subtitle if for a prolonged time no new subs are sent (e.g. if a voice over takes over).

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #28 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 29 September 2013 - 16:59

Thats fine, voice takeover doesnt happen in general. The code should work for regular / normal usage (if you ask me)

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #29 radar

• 92 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 29 September 2013 - 20:33

1 -> show

That only shifts display of subs starting from the second, no? How can it fix the issue?

That's exactly what I meant.

TS: what channel do you see this behaviour on? Sometimes subtitles are transmitted unencrypted, so we may have a look.

Canal+ HD, CSat, Astra 19.2E.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #30 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 29 September 2013 - 20:43

That only shifts display of subs starting from the second, no? How can it fix the issue?

I hope it will prevent the direct overwrite of a readable subtitle with an empty one.

I'm just guessing/hoping an empty subtitle is very soon followed by a readable one.

Perhaps some providers are using blanc/empty subtitle the remove the previous one?!

After all its just an idea to try (or shoot at as it seems stupid as most of my ideas)

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #31 radar

• 92 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 29 September 2013 - 20:49

:)

Don't worry, I have also suggested some ideas that may be stupid. I was only trying to understand how it can help. Did not want to hurt.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #32 sebsto

• 52 posts

Neutral

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:51

Hello,

I just discovering this thread and I have to say : big +1
I am also suffering from this problem (this causes me some discussions with my wife that needs subtitles more than I do :-))

I am willing to help here - let me know if I can help to debug, test new version etc ...
I can confirm two previously raised questions :

French Canal+ channels broadcasts subtitle in clear - you can have a look even without subscription
(I can give you access to my card to help to debug)

The two delay options in the menu seems to be ineffective. I now understand how they should behave - but it looks like there is no effect (openpli 3 with yesterday's upgrade)

From what I observed, this is only for DVB subtitles, teletext are ok (for the few channels that still have txt)

Le us know how we can move forward ! And thank you guys for the great work !

Seb

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #33 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:58

I was planning to do the following as a first step, but maybe you can do it. Run enigma in the foreground and watch messages that enigma emits about showing subtitles. I know it does with text subtitles, I am not sure about dvb subs, but you might want to try. If you find relevant messages, please post them here.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #34 Alain_sat

• 637 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:31

Erik, I don't think you get an answer about the channel.

I mentioned this also a time ago in the dutch part.

With the csat/TNtsat you have TF1HD on Astra having the problem that is mentioned; when a new subtitle arrives too fast the first one disapears.

On Hotbird TF1HD (Télésat, Bis) there the subtitles arrive much too late.

I see they broadcast a movie tonight around 9pm, it will be like that.

If you want, I can record a part and send it somewhere.

The problem was the same on the C+HD channels but we can't watch them anymore on open stb's.

Edited by Alain_sat, 13 October 2013 - 10:33.

ET9000 en XP1000 VU+ Duo met OpenPli, veruit de beste decoder die ik de laatste jaren gekocht heb.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #35 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:14

What channel are we talking about, exactly (and on what position)?

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #36 radar

• 92 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:21

What channel are we talking about, exactly (and on what position)?

I answered few posts above: Canal+ HD, CSat, Astra 19.2E (as an example).

I was planning to do the following as a first step, but maybe you can do it. Run enigma in the foreground and watch messages that enigma emits about showing subtitles. I know it does with text subtitles, I am not sure about dvb subs, but you might want to try. If you find relevant messages, please post them here.

Should I just kill enigma2 process then start it again?

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #37 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:32

Alain_sat talks about 19 or 13 and TF1HD.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #38 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:33

Should I just kill enigma2 process then start it again?

Type

init 4

enigma2

afterwards ^C to stop and then

init 3

to start enigma again in the background.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 13 October 2013 - 11:33.

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #39 radar

• 92 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 13 October 2013 - 20:09

You can find here about 10 minutes of log.

I see that important outputs

eDVBServicePlay::unpause
disable dvb subtitles
disable teletext subtitles
enable teletext subtitle page 058

and:

DMX_SET_PES_FILTER(0x57) - audio - ok
DEMUX_START - audio - ok
AUDIO_SET_BYPASS(0) - ok
AUDIO_PAUSE - ok
AUDIO_PLAY - ok
Video Device: /dev/dvb/adapter0/video0
demux device: /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
VIDEO_SET_STREAMTYPE 1 - ok
DMX_SET_PES_FILTER(0xa1) - video - ok
DEMUX_START - video - ok
VIDEO_FREEZE - ok
VIDEO_PLAY - ok
VIDEO_SLOWMOTION(0) - ok
VIDEO_FAST_FORWARD(0) - ok
VIDEO_CONTINUE - ok
AUDIO_CONTINUE - ok
disable teletext subtitles
not pauseable.
not pauseable.
start dvb subtitles on pid 0x0024 with composition_page_id 1 and ancillary_page_id 2

And, on regular basis, I have:

subtitle timeout... hide

Re: Subtitles not displaying long enough #40 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:59

What subtitles are you actually using, DVB or teletext?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users