Photo

how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #21 ajeeb

• 385 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 February 2014 - 10:30

ajeeb, I tried it a few months ago but failed so I assumed that the most recent bootloader does not support splash screen flashing.

I have another idea ... take VIX image and replace splash.bin with yours !! it's should work !

ET9000,DM500s+usbTTdvb-3600 ,DVB2000,Humax5400, MACbook PRO retina 13", MAC pro 2 x Quad XEON-2.8GB , 8GB ECC, 4TB+FusionDrive(SSD) , LG-24FHD, HD6870,Debian server

"Since the dawn of our species, Man has been blessed with curiosity"

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #22 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,682 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 10:31

Ok, so you did flash it together with the old bootloader, NOT together with the OpenPLi image?

Then I still don't know for sure whether or not the current bootloader supports it.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #23 Robinson

• 2,616 posts

+30
Good

Posted 8 February 2014 - 10:32

what I did is attaching the file with old bootloader (not recommended cause my box was BSOD for half day :) )

OK, so I assume that trying with the most recent bootloader did not help, which would only confirm that only an old bootloader supports it.

ET9000, OpenPLi 4.0, 13E, 19E

HD51, OpenPLi 6.2, 75E - 30W

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #24 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,682 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 10:34

Which would also mean that VIX DOES do something special, since the current bootloader won't pick up the splash.bin by itself anymore.

That is what I am trying to establish. Currently I still don't know the best instructions for restoring the vendor logo.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #25 Marselino

• 2 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 February 2014 - 10:36

SOS. Help delete bootlogo !!!

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #26 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,306 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 10:50

You do not want to delete... but to replace...

You need to put a bootlogo on a usb stick (browse somewhere to find any)... and flash it like an image.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #27 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 11:17

Which would also mean that VIX DOES do something special, since the current bootloader won't pick up the splash.bin by itself anymore.

Or he has the openvix boot logo since a long time.
Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #28 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 8 February 2014 - 11:22

So many clever people and no solution ...

Normally a simple nandwrite of the splash.bin to the correct mtd device with the proper Parameters will replace logos without any problems and a simle flash erase of the partition will remove any logo you might have.

There is NO need to rely on the bootloader (no matter if old or new) for such a simple task.

And this would work on ALL boxes who have the bootlogo in an extra partition in raw flash without a filesystem like they do with the kernel.

My fgwrite binary could do this already nicely some months ago.

Edited by gutemine, 8 February 2014 - 11:23.

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #29 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,682 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 11:36

Instead of being smug about it, you could have documented it, then people shouldn't have gone through the ordeal of having to figure it out for themselfs.

This reply is useless as usual, it's again an "I know how, and I'm not going to tell you". On behalf of all users struggeling with this issue, thanks for the help.

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #30 ajeeb

• 385 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 February 2014 - 11:40

all this scenario is tricky ! plz try to flash vix with custom splash.bin and test it !

ET9000,DM500s+usbTTdvb-3600 ,DVB2000,Humax5400, MACbook PRO retina 13", MAC pro 2 x Quad XEON-2.8GB , 8GB ECC, 4TB+FusionDrive(SSD) , LG-24FHD, HD6870,Debian server

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #31 ajeeb

• 385 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 February 2014 - 11:54

Or he has the openvix boot logo since a long time.

no ! I test VIX image since 3 days with the newest bootloader ... and it did take the splash.bin included with vix ! so it's crazy cause then I try again to flash vix+mysplash file and did not work !

that why I replace my bootloader .... ! but in @betacentauri case it's should work (I suppose it will) .

again playing with bootloader is not good idea ! plz test it with IMAGE file

BR

Edited by ajeeb, 8 February 2014 - 11:54.

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #32 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,306 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 12:03

Xqq.... I also need to use google...

Attached a manufacturer's bootlogo for the 9x00.... You put it on an USB stick and flash it as an image as I explained before.

You dot delete or change the current installed image with this.

More original bootlogo's for Xtrend boxes you can find here...

http://www.xtrend-ho...w&categoryID=37

it is the splash.bin in these file that is the actual bootlogo...

You can consider to delete the cfe.bin on the USB stick if you do not want to upgrade the bootloader.

Attached Files

Edited by littlesat, 8 February 2014 - 12:12.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #33 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 12:17

@gutemine: On et boxes only rootfs, kernel and "complete" mtd devices are visible. So a simple nandwrite doesn't work.

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #34 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 8 February 2014 - 12:43

Then where does it get stored ?

Ask the vendor, as this should be NO secret they would like to keep.

if you don't get any answer from them, do you have a bootlog when (old) loader flashes/writes it ?

Normally there you will see the device where it goes or if it shares the device for example with the kernel, then you would see the offset it is using.

And yes, nandwrite can write with offsets too.

fgwrite used the partition label and input from the isers to put the bootlogo in the right place which worked on VU and was also documented in the fgwrite thread. If this box is different then find out the difference.

PS: If you consider to suggest working on a real solution instead of complaining as a useless post ... OK

Edited by gutemine, 8 February 2014 - 12:46.

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #35 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 12:53

Gutemine, I wonder what development rumours triggered you to visit openpli again....

Just inspect the bootloader Littlesat attached couple of posts above and you would have known the answer already.

Does eye-candy images just shouldnt touch any manufacturer logo's in the first place, but they all tend to have an unstoppable drive to just spray their name all over the place.

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #36 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 13:03

fyi

root@et10000:~# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 40000000 00020000 "complete"
mtd1: 00600000 00020000 "kernel"
mtd2: 3fa00000 00020000 "rootfs"

Ok, it's the et10000, but it looks quite the same on all et boxes with new bootloader.
So you need to do some research to find the right offsets. (If it is really accessible and not hidden somehow)

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #37 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 13:06

The manufacturer image is stored in a file called 'flash0.splash', at least the bootloader retrieves this file and if its considered valid its shown during boot.

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #38 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 8 February 2014 - 13:08

Yes, look at the cfe.bin, it contains the following line:

flash -noheader usbdisk0:et9x00/splash.bin flash0.splash

But this is NOT a file, I'm sorry.

So this means there is a splash partition/device available to the bootloader (could be part of the ones you see from the kernel with an offset, or a hidden one only the loader sees but not defined in kernel partition table - but then it could be easily added).

As I already  wrote, if you are lucky the flash binary they use to write will output the offset infos during flashing for informational purpose.

If not, you can use my nadn_check binary to get an idea where in the flash the logo resides as it will show you the used blcks in the differen areas. Finally you can read the whole flash for the bitmap header,  because except the logo only png and jpg headers should be in Flash.

So there IS a way to solve the puzzle, even without using the loader for writing the logos.

Edited by gutemine, 8 February 2014 - 13:10.

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #39 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 8 February 2014 - 13:30

I'm just a novice on flash chips, so if  flash0.splash isnt a "file" I would do the following:

Use normal (bootloader) process to add a certain manufacturer logo.

Use some kind of tool to dump complete flash.

Search in that flash for the offset of the manufacturer logo, since you know what has been put there its a very easy search.

Use some tool to flash another logo to that offset directly and checkout the results.

Somehow the bootloader is on boot reading a certain memory area in the flashchip and put that into flash0.splash, checks for validity and if valid show on screen.

Same for kernel....

Re: how to get rid of stupid vix (world of ...) boot logo #40 ajeeb

• 385 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 February 2014 - 13:34

Yes, look at the cfe.bin, it contains the following line:

flash -noheader usbdisk0:et9x00/splash.bin flash0.splash

But this is NOT a file, I'm sorry.

So this means there is a splash partition/device available to the bootloader (could be part of the ones you see from the kernel with an offset, or a hidden one only the loader sees but not defined in kernel partition table - but then it could be easily added).

As I already  wrote, if you are lucky the flash binary they use to write will output the offset infos during flashing for informational purpose.

If not, you can use my nadn_check binary to get an idea where in the flash the logo resides as it will show you the used blcks in the differen areas. Finally you can read the whole flash for the bitmap header,  because except the logo only png and jpg headers should be in Flash.

So there IS a way to solve the puzzle, even without using the loader for writing the logos.

OK how do u explain this: VIX image included a splash.bin (http://www.world-of-...-et9x00_usb.zip) and it does update splash with the latest bootloader ! , and if you put same splash.bin with any other image it does not work ! WTH

Edited by ajeeb, 8 February 2014 - 13:35.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users