Good alternative to OpenPLI ?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 sebsto

• 52 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 December 2014 - 19:23

Hello,

I have a DM800se working great.  Unfortunately, OpenPLI team decided to not support DM hardware anymore and the builds are broken since a couple of days.  As I have no intention to buy another decoder just because the software is not supported anymore, I would like to know what are the other well known, maintained and easy to use images for DM800se ?

I heard open OpenATV, but I saw there is no image update since March (pre-poodle and heartbleed !) Any other ?

I thank you the team and all the members of community that supported me for years and I hope I managed to contribute back a bit by providing some answers in the forums over the many years.

I wish a long life to this project and I will return to OpenPLI when I my hardware will die and I will be obliged to buy a new one.

Seb

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 3 December 2014 - 20:08

I'd recommend satdream (I hope I have the name right), that our very valued contributor athoik maintains.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #3 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 3 December 2014 - 20:16

Actually SatDreamGr is almost 100% based on OpenPLi source, except few patches for dreamboxes that didn't accepted by OpenPLi.

We are trying to push changes back to OpenPLi and till now it works well ;) (at least for the boxes supported :P)
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #4 Happysat

• 697 posts

+43
Good

Posted 3 December 2014 - 20:44

Hello,

I heard open OpenATV, but I saw there is no image update since March (pre-poodle and heartbleed !) Any other ?

Maybe you have to look a little better -->> http://images.mynonp...hp?open=dm800se

You can update it everyday without the pain PLi is giving last days/weeks/years, and they offer a lot more nice updated stuff in their feeds ;)

Look at this and compare with the pig with lipstick having the same old boring skin for ages -> http://www.opena.tv/...enhd-skins.html

Edited by Happysat, 3 December 2014 - 20:45.

Octagon SF8008 / TBS5530  DVB-S2/T2 T-85/1.50Mtr/3x90cm (53e 52e 51,5e 28e 25,9e 23e 19e 13e 9e 4e 1w 5w 14w)

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #5 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 3 December 2014 - 20:45

I'd recommend quickly sell it ...  :)   ( I own two myself  :D  )

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #6 Max66

• 20 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 December 2014 - 08:49

Actually SatDreamGr is almost 100% based on OpenPLi source, except few patches for dreamboxes that didn't accepted by OpenPLi.

We are trying to push changes back to OpenPLi and till now it works well ;) (at least for the boxes supported :P)

Thanks for the info. Can you confirm the site for this distribution is this one: http://www.satdreamgr.com/ ?

I see that most information is in Greek. Do you plan to document a little bit more in English (like release notes) ?

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #7 mimisiku

• 5,461 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 4 December 2014 - 09:58

A bit on the dark side... Sorry.. With the oncomming roll-out of nano01 (Seca/Nagra) and card-pairing (NDS) it will soon be over with most Linux baoxes (as long as they do not have a CI slot). I give it no more than a year before this has been implemented by the majority of content providers..

Forced to use CI (and hopefully without the '+' features activated) or a lemon of your content provider meaning no cardshare (both locally and remotely). Poor recording features (copy-protection) and lousy software/firmware..

Met één been in het graf..... Helaas

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,614 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 4 December 2014 - 14:05

Thanks to the enormous illegal card-sharing business. As usual, the good have to suffer because of the bad.

It's even so that I, as someone totally opposed to cardsharing, am forced to look that way, because it seems like the "big boys" have found a way around card-pairing. Which means I can not use my own subscription card (GBP 70/month), but I can use a cardshare (20 EUR/month), to watch the channels I have a subscription for.

Which is the world upside down imho.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #9 Dambedei

• 11 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 4 December 2014 - 15:41

so the dreambox builds won't be fixed anymore?

would be a shame :(

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #10 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 4 December 2014 - 16:11

Maybe maybe not, we're still looking into the issue.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #11 kastell

• 17 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 December 2014 - 16:16

I think that OpenAtv it's wonderfoul firmware, and for your dreambox can be Newnigma2.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #12 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 4 December 2014 - 16:20

I think that OpenAtv it's wonderfoul firmware, and for your dreambox can be Newnigma2.

Yes, perfectly said :D :D :D

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #13 Marc-UK

• 39 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 4 December 2014 - 17:37

Maybe maybe not, we're still looking into the issue.

So, which build is the right one for a DM8000 and which will not break the second stage or anything else?

I used Newnigma2 for a few years and stopped at version 4 (and moved to OpenPLI). It was getting very big and close to the limits of my flash storage. It also took a long time before a new release (in this case 4.0) came out and I prefer distributions with regular updates. Current version is 4.0.11 and came out beginning of July

Forum is mostly in German, so unless you speak German, you won't get many answers and you will also miss some important announcements.

But it was stable, worked OK and had LOTS of plugins. Just used a lot of Flash and RAM. In comparison, the OpenPLI image is about half the size of Newnigma.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #14 Marc-UK

• 39 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 4 December 2014 - 18:11

I also looked at other alternatives but again, most of them are German distribution and my German is not very good, so I can't find enough information to make me decide which image to try / switch to.

This link shows which distribution are currently active and if they are based on OE or something else. That was my starting point and looking around it seems all the distributions based on the original DMM have the same issues, huge size and poor support.

But I am confused with how development forked from the original DMM image:

- What is OE? Open Embedded?

- Is OpenDreambox / Dreambox Update the same thing as OE?

- What is OpenPLI based on? Scratch rewrite?

If I move to another image based on OpenPLI, won't I have have the same issues we are experimenting today with the last broken images?

I guess if these images use the OpenPLI source code but compile with a different C library, it should work fine. But for how long?

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #15 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 4 December 2014 - 18:16

Thanks for the info. Can you confirm the site for this distribution is this one: http://www.satdreamgr.com/ ?

I see that most information is in Greek. Do you plan to document a little bit more in English (like release notes) ?

Yes, that is the distribution site. You can find images under the link "SatDreamGr Images" available on front page.

We also have an English Section for non Greek users: http://www.satdreamg...English-Section

Finally our releases/improvements are announced here usually in Greek and English.

Edited by athoik, 4 December 2014 - 18:17.

Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #16 kastell

• 17 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 December 2014 - 18:23

Yes, perfectly said :D :D :D

I don't speak english, jajajajaj, "wonderful" I meant :P  :P

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #17 clweb

• 54 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 4 December 2014 - 18:29

I use Satdreamgr for over 6 months on a DM8000 and I'm very pleaded with it.

No pain with AC3+ and there is a nice backup feature included in the Panel+ and no memory issues with a swap partition on SD card.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #18 Marc-UK

• 39 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 4 December 2014 - 18:41

Yes, that is the distribution site. You can find images under the link "SatDreamGr Images" available on front page.

We also have an English Section for non Greek users: http://www.satdreamg...English-Section

Finally our releases/improvements are announced here usually in Greek and English.

Thank you Athoik. I registered and downloaded your image. I'll give it a try over Xmas vacation

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #19 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,614 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2014 - 00:49

But I am confused with how development forked from the original DMM image:

- What is OE? Open Embedded?

- Is OpenDreambox / Dreambox Update the same thing as OE?

- What is OpenPLI based on? Scratch rewrite?

- Correct. it is the linux distrubution used on the box (like you would use Fedora or Ubuntu on a PC)

- No clue, looks like it being maintained by DMM (so it's not that open at all?)

- It is a fork of the last available GPL version of Enigma2, years ago, on top of our own OE environment

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #20 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2014 - 07:30

Be aware that for non-Greek speaking people it is virtually impossible to register, which is required for downloading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users