←  [EN] Enduser support

Forums

»

VU Solo 4k support

's foto Erik Slagter 6 dec 2015

I am convinced most plugins actually have very little added value and also make enigma prone to crash. My advice, only install plugins you cannot live without, and then only the plugins from the feed, not from external sources and also not from the 3rd party plugins feed.

Citeren

's foto Rob van der Does 6 dec 2015

I am convinced most plugins actually have very little added value and also make enigma prone to crash. My advice, only install plugins you cannot live without, and then only the plugins from the feed, not from external sources and also not from the 3rd party plugins feed.

What you actually say is that it is time for PLi to start maintaining the 3rd-party feeds. They should only contain plugins that have been tested under PLi and that have been updated.
As it in now PLi's 3rd-party feeds contain a lot of outdated plugins (for no good reason).
Citeren

's foto WanWizard 6 dec 2015

We can't maintain them, they are third-party, and often even binary. If you test them and report they don't work, we'll remove them.

Citeren

's foto zeros 6 dec 2015

And if you do, then please, please not to pick off a perfectly working plugins with dreambox, what as I know, that with other boxes do not work. You have done it on a number of occasions! 
Citeren

's foto sonic1 6 dec 2015

We can't maintain them, they are third-party, and often even binary. If you test them and report they don't work, we'll remove them.

At this rate there will be no third party plugins.

Citeren

So you rather have plugins that don't work and/or crash the box, than no plugins? Can you explain the rationale behind that?

Citeren

's foto sonic1 6 dec 2015

So you rather have plugins that don't work and/or crash the box, than no plugins? Can you explain the rationale behind that?

Pli are leading the way no doubt but plugin maintainers can not make plugins that work with every image, there is no compromise, it is your way or the highway. 

Citeren

So, what do you suggest? We stop all innovation, and revert back to 2008?

Most of these closed source plugins are rare antiques. And yes, plugin builders are there to enhance the image, we are not there to please the plugin builders. And don't forget, they can easily solve the issue, simply by publishing their sources. Then they can be forked and the code adapted to our innovations. If the plugin builders don't want that, too bad.

You're barking up the wrong tree. I can't do anything with people that complain, but don't come with solutions.

Citeren

's foto Tony il Capo 7 dec 2015

Me, as enduser, I think that  3rd-party plugins should stay available because some add some useful stuff to default image. Of course some offer more trouble than joy, but there's still a lot of them that work as they were supposed. I personally have much more than 10 installed, some not from "official feed" and no big problems.

I also agree that plugin builders should publish their sources...that would eventually lead to adaptations to 'match' the image.

There's also the fact that many plugins just add "minor" improvements to default image and those are available by default in other images (eg. EPG search, History ZAP,...) so, no need to install more stuff. Of course you can't just add everything to the default image, that's why we need 3rd-party plugins.

Citeren

's foto Rob van der Does 7 dec 2015

yes you can: I have offered to maintain the 3rd-party feeds, but we couldn't agree on the terms.
But in the basis it's not that complicated: only add plugins that have been tested and found to be compatible with PLi, and take care that they are being updated regularly.
Citeren

's foto athoik 7 dec 2015

Put them on github and provide bitbake (if possible), better solution..
Citeren

's foto WanWizard 7 dec 2015

yes you can: I have offered to maintain the 3rd-party feeds, but we couldn't agree on the terms.
But in the basis it's not that complicated: only add plugins that have been tested and found to be compatible with PLi, and take care that they are being updated regularly.

That is not what I meant with maintain, I spoke about the plugins, not the feed. Obviously, we do maintain the feed.

And if you report something that doesn't work, we will remove it, not sure what terms should prevent you from doing that. We don't have the manpower in the team to test all of them regularly.

@Tony,

As long as they work, there is no reason to remove them. If they don't work, there is no reason to leave them in the feed.

Citeren

Nope: you don't maintain the 3rd-party feeds. Look at the number of outdated plugins.
And as I said before: I did offer to do all the work, but we couldn't agree on the terms.
Citeren

We're running around in circles, and you keep moaning about semantics.

Yes, we do maintain the 3rd party feed. And no, we have nobody that has time to keep them up to date, and check them regularly.

Anyone can install a plugin, test it, and report back whether or not it works. And you can do that too if you want. No terms needed whatsoever. If you don't want to do so, no problem, but then say so and don't beat around the bush.

Citeren

We're running around in circles, and you keep moaning about semantics.

Yes, we do maintain the 3rd party feed. And no, we have nobody that has time to keep them up to date, and check them regularly.

Anyone can install a plugin, test it, and report back whether or not it works. And you can do that too if you want. No terms needed whatsoever. If you don't want to do so, no problem, but then say so and don't beat around the bush.

You don't want to understand it, that's clear enough.
And you see the result: a very bad, not maintained 3rd-party feed. And even the advice not to use it.... :(
Veranderd door Rob van der Does, 7 december 2015 - 18:03
Citeren

Yes, it is very clear. You want to moan, you don't want to help.

Again, all you need to do is to let us know what works and what not. Since this is bothering you so much, what is keeping you?

Citeren

's foto Ronnie1966 7 dec 2015

Ok back to the topic.
Is there any chance that a image is comming out soon from OpenPLI??

Greets Ronnie1966
Citeren

's foto mirakels 7 dec 2015

Well, at least there are no specific vu solo 4k third party plugins in the openPli 3th party feed so what the H*ll is this discussion doing in this thread?

Openpli does maintain the 3th party feed, but it is just simply not up to date! At least there is sort of automated way that removes old plugins when a new version is added (but the algorithms to do so are very simple).

So stop this discussion here and create a different one in another thread if you like.

Citeren

Well, at least there are no specific vu solo 4k third party plugins in the openPli 3th party feed so what the H*ll is this discussion doing in this thread?

Openpli does maintain the 3th party feed, but it is just simply not up to date! At least there is sort of automated way that removes old plugins when a new version is added (but the algorithms to do so are very simple).

So stop this discussion here and create a different one in another thread if you like.

As you please; it was just a reaction on

Yes, it is very clear. You want to moan, you don't want to help.

Again, all you need to do is to let us know what works and what not. Since this is bothering you so much, what is keeping you?

Nope, as I said: I've offered to do all the work for the 3rd-party plugin. But we couldn't agree on the terms. Just as I can't agree with the way you see it: that means only a lot of work, both for the maintainer and for PLi.
And I really do know what I'm talking about....
Veranderd door Rob van der Does, 7 december 2015 - 21:13
Citeren

's foto zeros 8 dec 2015

That the VU Solo 4 k owners would not start on her report on the State of the plugin, which work well with the other boxes. As you well know, then at the installation of the plugin is not checked the box type. So is the high likelihood of not working plugins for vu solo 4K, that it is not customized to this box type.
Citeren