• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robinson

• 2,616 posts

+30
Good

Posted 12 March 2017 - 20:31

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is perhaps a side effect of a recent capacitor replacement in my ET9000 or a coincidence or a common issue.

When I watch a tennis match on Supertennis HD (13E, FTA, so anyone can check), the picture "skips". Balls fly in a jerky movement.

Is this a provider fault or is there something wrong with my setup?

It is just this particular channel that seems to be affected.

Can someone please watch the channel for a minute and give feedback?

Thanks.

ET9000, OpenPLi 4.0, 13E, 19E

HD51, OpenPLi 6.2, 75E - 30W

Re: Supertennis HD - worse quality #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:06

Frame rate of the video, your receiver and tv match?

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Supertennis HD - worse quality #3 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:33

Hi,

Just check on my Solo4K and indeed the ball seems to have jerky movement.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Supertennis HD - worse quality #4 Robinson

• 2,616 posts

+30
Good

Posted 13 March 2017 - 14:23

Frame rate of the video, your receiver and tv match?

I am pretty sure they do because it is the only 13E channel which I can observe this behaviour on.

I don't think frame rate can be set per channel?

Just check on my Solo4K and indeed the ball seems to have jerky movement.

Maybe there is some rubbish in the transport stream?

I aksed a friend of mine, who owns an sh4 box, and he does not confirm it. From his point of view everything is OK.

Yesterday I had a Chance to watch the same live match on Supertennis and on a different channel. The picture on the other channel was very good while the same match on Supertennis was unwatchable for me on ET9000.

Re: Supertennis HD - worse quality #5 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 13 March 2017 - 16:05

Hi,

I can watch the channel and clearly saw the ball movement, but if we look carefully we saw that the framerate used is not enough to display a smooth mouvement.

Probably that they use a high compression rate of the image and drop some frames. There are some smudged behind the ball.

Even when the camera are moving in the public you saw that the bench has this jerky effect.

But since I never watch tennis I cannot really compare with another channel broadcasting tennis to know for sure if those are normal artefact while watching tennis, but I don't think saw, with Roland Garros on french TV I never had this effect.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: Supertennis HD - worse quality #6 Robinson

• 2,616 posts

+30
Good

Posted 14 March 2017 - 00:35

No, this is not normal, not even for a FTA channel like Supertennis.

I watch a lot of tennis and it was only recently that I noticed it on this particular channel.

You are right - it is not only the flying ball that is affected. Faces too.

It seems to be a provider fault, not something OpenPLi can repair although it is strange a friend of mine does not notice the problem on his sh4 box.

Re: Supertennis HD - worse quality #7 janejak

• 284 posts

+11
Neutral

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:14

I have checked on my Dreambox DM900UHD and yep i see this weerd effect to

Re: Supertennis HD - worse quality #8 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2017 - 13:02

@Robison,

If you don't watch carefully just zap and watch everything seems alright, but when you look carefully you notice it.

I think your friend quickly watch the channel and told you that it is normal on his side.

Solo4K is a powerfull STB so I am convinced that this problem is specific to this channel and we cannot do anything on our side.

They probably compress too much the image and we have many frame drop that gives this effect.

Pr2

Re: Supertennis HD - worse quality #9 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2017 - 18:51

@Pr2 high compression doesn't mean frames are skipped. Frames are never skipped. What probably is happening, is some frate rate conversion at some stage, between camera, mixing, distribution, etc. And yes, then everybody will notice it. In general, as side note, media recorded in the US, even for a party based in Europe, is recored with an "American" frame rate of ~60 Hz.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ET9000, Supertennis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users