998 replies to this topic

Re: Language assistance requested... #981 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 1 June 2020 - 15:40

Hi WanWizard,

So the flashing issue is still there with the modified code?

Yes. Less obvious, but still visible.

Has OpenPLi looked at the Enigma2 build options that OpenViX use to get around the hardware / driver issues on HiSi boxes?

We don't do workarounds.

If there are manufacturer related issues, they have to be passed on to the manufacturer so the root cause can be fixed.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Language assistance requested... #982 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 1 June 2020 - 15:47

Hi WanWizard,

Would you like me to commit this code or wait for a driver fix?

Has OpenPLi looked at the Enigma2 build options that OpenViX use to get around the hardware / driver issues on HiSi boxes?

We don't do workarounds.

If there are manufacturer related issues, they have to be passed on to the manufacturer so the root cause can be fixed.

Does this mean that you will now take this issue up with HiSi to get a fix. I am sure that all the images would appreciate a proper fix.

Regards,
Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #983 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 1 June 2020 - 15:56

Would you like me to commit this code or wait for a driver fix?

As it clearly fixes the response issues, I'd say commit.

Does this mean that you will now take this issue up with HiSi to get a fix. I am sure that all the images would appreciate a proper fix.

If someone can formulate needs to be fixed, yes.

As you say OpenVIX has worked around it, can you point out the commits that do?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Language assistance requested... #984 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 1 June 2020 - 15:58

Hi All,

To answer my own question:

Transparency Mapping and Trimming with Alpha

The alpha component of textures can be used to solve a number of interesting problems. Intricate shapes such as an image of a tree can be stored in texture memory with the alpha component acting as a matte (1 where the image is opaque, 0 where it is transparent, and a fractional value along the edges). When the texture is applied to geometry, blending can be used to composite the image into the color buffer or the alpha test can be used to discard pixels with a 0 alpha component using GL_ EQUALS test. To maximize performance, set the alpha test to GL_ LESS and discard pixels with a small alpha value, for example less than .05. This way some more pixels are discarded that do not contribute significantly to the image.

The advantage of using the alpha test instead of alpha blending is that blending typically degrades the performance of fragment processing. With alpha testing fragments with zero alpha are rejected before they get to the color buffer. A disadvantage of alpha testing is that the edges will not be blended into the scene so the edges will not be properly antialiased.

The alpha component of a texture can be used in other ways, for example, to cut holes in polygons or to trim surfaces. An image of the trim region is stored in a texture map and when it is applied to the surface, alpha testing or blending can be used to reject the trimmed region. This method can be useful for trimming complex surfaces in scientific visualization applications.

I will assume that this description also applies to Enigma2.

This would seem to explain why AlphaTest is so much faster than AlphaBlend and why we are having issues seeing a difference.  Given that a poorer quality of antialiasing is likely to be hard to see in most aspects of the UI it would seem that using AlphaTest will be a worthwhile change even if the AlphaBlend code is fixed.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Regards,
Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #985 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 1 June 2020 - 16:06

Hi WanWizard,

As you say OpenVIX has worked around it, can you point out the commits that do?

This is not an area of Enigma2 with which I work but I was told that this is simply a configuration option in "configure.ac".  Something to do with an option "FORCE_NO_BLENDING_ACCELERATION".  Apparently a number of boxes need the option set.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by IanSav, 1 June 2020 - 16:06.

Re: Language assistance requested... #986 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 1 June 2020 - 16:17

There seems to be a lot more going on that that: https://github.com/O...mpare/hisilicon

This is above my paygrade I'm afraid.

Re: Language assistance requested... #987 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 1 June 2020 - 16:21

Hi WanWizard,

The "Blend" to "Test" change that improves performance for some hardware has been committed to all repositories.

Here is the OpenPLi pull request: https://github.com/O...igma2/pull/2593

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #988 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 1 June 2020 - 16:24

Hi WanWizard,

This is above my paygrade I'm afraid.

Are you getting paid?  How can I get a cut?  :P  ;)

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #989 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27,380 posts

+393
Excellent

Posted 1 June 2020 - 16:39

He definitely forgot the quotationmarks left and right to the paygrade. :) :)

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

Re: Language assistance requested... #990 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 1 June 2020 - 17:26

https://github.com/O...re.ac#L457-L461

I guess it has something to do with CONFIG_HISILICON_FB.

Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Language assistance requested... #991 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,332 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 1 June 2020 - 17:30

@IanSav It seems to me that you are looking for answers to your questions in the wrong places.

What is true for a computer with unlimited resources for software decoding is not true for a satellite receiver that requires hardware decoding for fast operation.
I now can't quickly find the relevant commit, but as far as I can remember then AlphaBlend in enigma was created because it worked many times faster if it was supported by hadware.

However, if you check the configure.ac file, then you will see that this option is not supported by many receivers.
Unfortunately, receiver support is specified manually and therefore I assume that there are many receivers that do not support this option, but it is not specified in configure.ac or in the manufacturer's BSP and therefore the enigma is compiled with support that does not work and causes this behavior.

I agree that it is better not to use this option at this time because there is a bug.
Once the problem with AlphaBlend is resolved, then can try to use it.

Re: Language assistance requested... #992 Taapat

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,332 posts

+120
Excellent

Posted 1 June 2020 - 17:47

Sorry, I'm not right.
It seems that the use of blend has performance degradation: https://github.com/O...7982de7671734a7
And I assume it's ten times bigger if the hadware doesn't support it but the enigma doesn't know it and tries to use.

Edited by Taapat, 1 June 2020 - 17:48.

Re: Language assistance requested... #993 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 1 June 2020 - 18:09

Why not keep it blend an arrange that test is executed....???

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Language assistance requested... #994 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 2 June 2020 - 02:55

Hi Littlesat,

Why not keep it blend an arrange that test is executed....???

That may be what OpenViX has done.  I don't know the details.

In any case I am happy to use AlphaTest as that will always perform better with very little visual compromise.

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #995 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,231 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 2 June 2020 - 09:59

Hi WanWizard,

We don't do workarounds.

I don't understand this. If the manufacturer needs to fix, why are you supporting the hardware at all?

For us it is really simple, if a box doesn't work properly and the manufacturer doesn't fix it we don't introduce it to our line up.

Otherwise you are encouraging users to by broken hardware because that hardware is endorsed by PLi.

Edited by Huevos, 2 June 2020 - 10:00.

Re: Language assistance requested... #996 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 2 June 2020 - 14:45

Afaik the manufacturers haven't been asked to fix anything yet, so we are not at that point. This issue was only raised yesterday.

Besides that, I've looked at TWOL's code, and (most of) it doesn't look like a workaround, Enigma has specific "ifdef"'s for other hardware platforms in its low-level code too.

As I wrote, I don't have the skillset to evaluate this code, so someone else needs to pick this up.

Re: Language assistance requested... #997 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,608 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 2 June 2020 - 21:41

Hi Ian,

I think, there could be changed MultiContentEntryPixmapAlphaBlend to MultiContentEntryPixmap for self.bg_l, self.bg_m, self.bg_r only. It would be good compromise for Hisil boxes.

On H7, vs1500 and e4hd is there VK almost without color rectangles - for my eyes it is not visibled well :)

M.

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Language assistance requested... #998 IanSav

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,491 posts

+51
Good

Posted 3 June 2020 - 01:52

Hi Ims,

The latest commit changed all the AlphaBlend definitions into AlphaTest definitions.  From what I understand of this change we get acceptable image overlay with a significantly reduced performance cost.  Are you advocating for further change?  (I didn't think it would be neccessary.)

Regards,

Ian.

Re: Language assistance requested... #999 foxbob

• 612 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 3 June 2020 - 19:16

I have these lines in the log. Maybe somewhere it needs to be enabled.

[fb] double buffering available!
[gFBDC] resolution: 1280x720x32 stride=5120, 17100kB available for acceleration surfaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users