Subtitles Codepage

DM800

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 garydavidson

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 June 2008 - 19:31

The subtitles plugin works a treat on some channels, even with DVB subtitles, but what I would like to know is how to change the codepage, looking in the subtitles.py and such files reveals nothing.

Can anyone give me a tip.

Re: Subtitles Codepage #2 garydavidson

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 June 2008 - 19:50

and before anybody asks I mean the subtitles plugin, not teletext subtitles.

Re: Subtitles Codepage #3 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 17 June 2008 - 20:01

I don't know about this plugin, I always use the internal subtitle support (first menu item), which also supports both teletext and dvb subtitles.

Did you install this plugin from our downloads?

Re: Subtitles Codepage #4 garydavidson

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 June 2008 - 21:04

Sorry thats what I meant by the subtitle plugin.. menu then subtitle. Do you know how to setup the codepage for it. Im watching polish films in english and the subtitles displayed in polish show up with the wrong code page..

Re: Subtitles Codepage #5 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 17 June 2008 - 21:37

hm, I guess you mean the teletext subtitles? (the dvb subtitles are bitmaps I believe).

The teletext subtitle pages are generated by enigma2/lib/dvb/teletext.cpp
There the characters are mapped to UTF-8, and then rendered.
Charset mapping seems to be all hardcoded, but perhaps you could have a look for trivial mistakes.
What could also be the case is that the used font perhaps doesn't contain the polish characters?

Re: Subtitles Codepage #6 garydavidson

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:17

Ill have a look into that..

the DVB subtitles sort of work I see them quickly flash on the screen for a couple of ms, but they disapear has quickly has they are displayed.

I can always fall back to simply displaying the teletext page with the subtitles, but using the "menu" "subtitles" option is nice because it saves the setting (or seems to) for each channel.

Re: Subtitles Codepage #7 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:45

the DVB subtitles sort of work I see them quickly flash on the screen for a couple of ms, but they disapear has quickly has they are displayed.

OK, in that case it's not likely to be a charset problem, but more like a timing problem.
There are huge differences in how the various providers send their subtitle releated timing info.
Perhaps it's a case of the provider not following the standard, or an incomplete implementation in enigma2.

Perhaps you could have a look at the enigma2 output

In the console, type:

init 4
(wait for a few seconds for enigma2 to stop)
enigma2

Now enable subtitles, and look at the timing debug info, perhaps you can spot the problem. (and help us fix it)

Re: Subtitles Codepage #8 garydavidson

• 12 posts

Neutral

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:17

Ill have a look into that..

I can always fall back to simply displaying the teletext page with the subtitles, but using the "menu" "subtitles" option is nice because it saves the setting (or seems to) for each channel.

Re: Subtitles Codepage #9 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:45

OK, in that case it's not likely to be a charset problem, but more like a timing problem.
There are huge differences in how the various providers send their subtitle releated timing info.
Perhaps it's a case of the provider not following the standard, or an incomplete implementation in enigma2.

Perhaps you could have a look at the enigma2 output

In the console, type:

init 4
(wait for a few seconds for enigma2 to stop)
enigma2

Now enable subtitles, and look at the timing debug info, perhaps you can spot the problem. (and help us fix it)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM800

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users