streamproxy and authentication

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Re: streamproxy and authentication #101 anudanan

• 1,185 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 10 January 2019 - 19:58

Very interesting to read all these statements. Thanks for the interesting discussion. I´m looking forward what will happen in the future around the streaming features

Receiver:2 x Uno4k SE (PLI 7.3 rel), 1 x ET9200 (PLI 4.0), NAS: 2 x QNAP 410, TV: LG 65C8llla, LG 47LB570V, LG 42LM615S, Sound: Yamaha RX-v663, Teufel System 5 THX

Re: streamproxy and authentication #102 anudanan

• 1,185 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 10 January 2019 - 20:08

The changes needed for the session cookie will probably mean, one way or another, that the solution I had for for anudanan's case can probably no longer be supported. Anyway I think the combination of OWIF auth disabled and streaming auth enabled is a jar full of snakes and something you'd really not should be wanting (even if the use of a certain app dictates it).

That was not me really request.

My first request was to use the OWIF.auth_for_streaming instead OWIF.auth parameter in streamproxy to make the possibility to use OWIF with auth but no auth with streaming: I´ve no need for OWIF without auth and streaming with auth. That is what the new streamproxy now do and that works fine. IF the streaming with auth is enabled it works also fine.

Receiver:2 x Uno4k SE (PLI 7.3 rel), 1 x ET9200 (PLI 4.0), NAS: 2 x QNAP 410, TV: LG 65C8llla, LG 47LB570V, LG 42LM615S, Sound: Yamaha RX-v663, Teufel System 5 THX

Re: streamproxy and authentication #103 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 10 January 2019 - 20:20

Your saying here exactly the same?

Anyway, all these configurations:

- auth on enigma2 streamserver

- auth in the streamproxy config

- auth in the OWIF config, either OWIF access or streaming

seem to be independent but actually they're not. It's complex matter.

And as said, if we want to remain fully compatible with OWIF (especially the session cookie), this very well may have to go. Maybe not. We'll see.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 10 January 2019 - 20:23.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #104 anudanan

• 1,185 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 10 January 2019 - 20:52

We will see what the future brings up ;-)

Re: streamproxy and authentication #105 SpaceRat

• 1,030 posts

+65
Good

Posted 10 January 2019 - 21:16

The changes needed for the session cookie will probably mean, one way or another, that the solution I had for for anudanan's case can probably no longer be supported. Anyway I think the combination of OWIF auth disabled and streaming auth enabled is a jar full of snakes and something you'd really not should be wanting (even if the use of a certain app dictates it).

That was not me really request.

My first request was to use the OWIF.auth_for_streaming instead OWIF.auth parameter in streamproxy to make the possibility to use OWIF with auth but no auth with streaming: I´ve no need for OWIF without auth and streaming with auth. That is what the new streamproxy now do and that works fine. IF the streaming with auth is enabled it works also fine.
"Auth for streaming" inside OWIF does not affect auth for OWIF itself.
In fact, it doesn't even affect live streaming in OpenPLi at all (well, negatively it does).

Though Erik is again trying hard to be an ***hole, he is correct in some places:
Having auth in OWIF disabled but enabled for streaming is a somewhat strange use case and it's the only scenario in which we require transient logins.

If you enable auth for OWIF itself, it will use the cached credentials from login for the streaming URLs it creates instead of transient logins. These credentials work with all variants of streaming.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk
1st box: Vu+ Ultimo 4k 4xDVB-S2 FBC / 2xDVB-C / 1.8 TB HDD / OpenATV 6.2
2nd box: Gigablue Quad 4k 2xDVB-S2 FBC / 2xDVB-C / 1.8 TB HDD / OpenATV 6.2
testing boxes: Vu+ Duo² + AX Quadbox HD2400 + 2x Vu+ Solo² + Octagon SF4008
Sats & Pay-TV: Astra 19.2°E + Hotbird 13°E with Redlight / SCT HD / SES Astra HD- / Sky V14 / 4th empire propaganda TV
Card-Server: Raspberry Pi + IPv6-capable oscam
Router: Linksys WRT1900ACS w/ LEDE + Fritz!Box 7390

Re: streamproxy and authentication #106 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,528 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 10 January 2019 - 21:23

Please keep your tone in check.

The fact someone doesn't understand part of the discussion, doesn't understand how certain hacks or code changes for specific (non-OpenPLi) platforms work, or trying to get a complete overview of use-cases and current implementations doesn't make them anything close to the word you are using.

Likewise, as soon as someone tries to have a discussion with you and it is not going the way you want, your behaviour isn't entirely clean as well. But I don't call you an ***hole.

Bottom line is that there are flaws in the design, which require structual changes that benefit us all, so it is beneficiary for all of us to remain positive, solve it together, and have an understanding for the position of others in the discussion.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #107 anudanan

• 1,185 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 10 January 2019 - 21:29

@spacerat

Are your sure with the credentials? I´ve made many tests in the last days and I have use OWIF with auth and also with auth for streaming and exactly then  all m3u8 downloads for streaming (direct or transcoded) includes the transient -sid logins in the URL instead of the cached login credentials

I think OWIF always use -sid credentials if auth for streaming is enable

Edited by anudanan, 10 January 2019 - 21:31.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #108 anudanan

• 1,185 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 10 January 2019 - 21:58

Now I have found out how OWIF uses the login credentials also for streaming auth and put them into the m3u8 file.

the user must bei in /etc/passwd but with the /bin/false instead of /bin/sh. If you goto OWIF with those no shell users then the m3u8 include that user/pw instead of -sid transient login

Very tricky and I haven´t know that before now. But know I have learned that. 

Re: streamproxy and authentication #109 anudanan

• 1,185 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:47

From my point of view the new streamproxy works better than in the past with the different combinations of the OWIF Auth parameter for OWIF access and streaming accecc especially with some APPs but also with a brower. 

I think it would bei great iif you take the new one into the 7.0 branch for rc and release.

That make many users happy which habe trouble with authentication and streamings APPs..

Nevertheless the installation of a non shell user in passwd (not root) is a next good idea to use auth for both (OWIF and streaming), But I think that also works in the past because, but the most users don´t know these feature and the handling ot install a user without shell (/bin/false)

Re: streamproxy and authentication #110 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:05

Your use case is very small against what most user do. I can not guarantee that we will go out of our lengths to keep it working. I have some ideas now and your use case may not fit in it.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #111 SpaceRat

• 1,030 posts

+65
Good

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:36

the user must bei in /etc/passwd but with the /bin/false instead of /bin/sh.

First part is enough: The user must be in /etc/passwd with a valid pass.
The shell doesn't matter, though having a user without a valid shell (For ssh and telnet) and no valid home (For FTP) slightly increases security.

If you goto OWIF with those no shell users then the m3u8 include that user/pw instead of -sid transient login

Correct. After successful auth, OWIF caches the credentials it got and uses them for any spanning (leaving OWIF) URLs it has to create.

Transient logins are only used if auth for OWIF is disabled (That means: OWIF doesn't even see any credentials at all that it could cache) and auth for streaming in OWIF is enabled.
Sats & Pay-TV: Astra 19.2°E + Hotbird 13°E with Redlight / SCT HD / SES Astra HD- / Sky V14 / 4th empire propaganda TV

Re: streamproxy and authentication #112 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,528 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:42

Transient logins are only used if auth for OWIF is disabled (That means: OWIF doesn't even see any credentials at all that it could cache) and auth for streaming in OWIF is enabled.

Any particular reason why? As that would mean exposing real credentials in the m3u8 file, which in turn means enabling auth for OWIF actually reduces security? I think caching credentials is from a security standpoint very bad practice...

Why not always use the transient login?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #113 anudanan

• 1,185 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:48

the user must bei in /etc/passwd but with the /bin/false instead of /bin/sh.

First part is enough: The user must be in /etc/passwd with a valid pass.
The shell doesn't matter, though having a user without a valid shell (For ssh and telnet) and no valid home (For FTP) slightly increases security.

This is not true on my Box with OWIF auth enabled and streaming auth enabled.

I´ve tested it now but the -sid login is in the m3u8 file, if the user has not /bin/false as a shell but the normal /bin/sh shell. Only with /bin/false as a shell the m3u8 contain the user/pw credentials.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #114 SpaceRat

• 1,030 posts

+65
Good

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:02

E.g. because they don't work in OpenPLi?  ;)

They don't work in a default installation of OpenATV, OpenViX or whatever either, only after one performs some additional step.

And the m3u only reveals credentials you just entered anyways ... and OWIF has an option to deny access to the root user, so the credentials can be those of a user who doesn't even get shell access.

Within the given limits that was the best possible solution from the pool of ugly solutions.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #115 anudanan

• 1,185 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:04

The reason for the need off /bin/false noshell user to avoid -sid login from my point of view are the codeline in httpserver.c 

session["logged"] = True
            session["user"] = request.getUser()
            session["pwd"] = None
            if self.noShell(request):
                session["pwd"] = request.getPassword()
            return self.resource.getChildWithDefault(path, request)

and in controllers/models/stream.py

def GetAuth(self, request):
        session = request.getSession().sessionNamespaces
        if "pwd" in session.keys() and session["pwd"] is not None:
            return (session["user"], session["pwd"])
        else:
            return None

Edited by anudanan, 11 January 2019 - 12:06.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #116 SpaceRat

• 1,030 posts

+65
Good

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:07

This is not true on my Box with OWIF auth enabled and streaming auth enabled.
I´ve tested it now but the -sid login is in the m3u8 file, if the user has not /bin/false as a shell but the normal /bin/sh shell. Only with /bin/false as a shell the m3u8 contain the user/pw credentials.

I stand corrected, according to
https://github.com/E...er.py#L274-L281
and
https://github.com/E...er.py#L366-L367
you are correct.

Caching credentials only happens if a non-shell user is used.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #117 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,528 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:11

E.g. because they don't work in OpenPLi?  ;)

I know that. ;)

But problems should be fixed at the root cause point, not worked around elsewhere. 

The non-working "-sid" user is our problem, and I'm already looking into that.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #118 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,528 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:12

Caching credentials only happens if a non-shell user is used.

Ah, ok. I can live with that. ;)

Re: streamproxy and authentication #119 SpaceRat

• 1,030 posts

+65
Good

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:16

I used to have these commands at the end of myrestore.sh (A script that gets invoked on OpenATV after successful flash with settings restore):

adduser webif -h /dev/null -s /bin/false -H -D
echo -e "webifpass\nwebifpass\n" | passwd webif >/dev/null
echo -e "rootpass\nrootpass\n" | passwd >/dev/null
That way I always have some unprivileged user for web access (and a password for the root user).

"Used to", because in the meantime OpenATV restores users itself on settings restore, so they don't get lost on flash anymore.

Re: streamproxy and authentication #120 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,528 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:18

The OpenPLi restore has always restored additions to /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/shadow automatically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users