I don't have it either.

Enigma is getting old....

Spoiler

Re: End of Life annoucement #22 CescoAiel

• 213 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 3 April 2020 - 19:58

I only have a single box that's on that list (Golden Interstar Xpeed), so I'm not gonna complain... Just means I need to go look for a new small box for the bedroom TV Cabinet...  *shrugs*

For all the efforts the team put in to building ever better images, I can only be thankful, so replacing an old box once in a while...

So go for it guys!  ;)

-- WaveFrontier T90 with LNBs on 13.0E, 19.2E, 23.5E & 28.2E, 17/12 dedicated GSO switch (Sharing the sat signal with the neigbours!)

-- Canal Digitaal DVB-S2[x]: 1x Vu+ Duo 4k (FBC Dual), 1x Xpeed LX S2 (dead-ish), 1x ET-9000 (unused and not updated for ages)

-- Ziggo DVB-C: 1x Vu+ Duo 4k (FBC)

Re: End of Life annoucement #23 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,519 posts

+1,734
Excellent

Posted 4 April 2020 - 00:17

The current OpenPLi will remain available, so as long as the box does what you want it to do, no need to replace it, I think.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: End of Life annoucement #24 CescoAiel

• 213 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 4 April 2020 - 11:32

The current OpenPLi will remain available, so as long as the box does what you want it to do, no need to replace it, I think.

True, but I try to keep all the tuners I work with (Also the ones at parents) on the same image to keep it simple... And it gives me an excuse to look for a new toy to play with!  ;)

-- WaveFrontier T90 with LNBs on 13.0E, 19.2E, 23.5E & 28.2E, 17/12 dedicated GSO switch (Sharing the sat signal with the neigbours!)

-- Canal Digitaal DVB-S2[x]: 1x Vu+ Duo 4k (FBC Dual), 1x Xpeed LX S2 (dead-ish), 1x ET-9000 (unused and not updated for ages)

-- Ziggo DVB-C: 1x Vu+ Duo 4k (FBC)

Re: End of Life annoucement #25 Alex_NL

• 1,953 posts

+10
Neutral

Posted 19 April 2020 - 15:29

Not as much stir and complaints as I expected. Nobody really minds that we stop building for these brands for release 8?

I just read this now, and it would be nice if my Xtrend ET10000 could run version 8, but without the manufactors' support I understand this will be difficult?

Dreambox DM920:2x Triple tuner (2x DVB-S2X MIS and DVB-C/T2) Xtrend ET10000: 2x DVB-S2, 2x DVB-C, IPTV Xtrend ET9500 (defect)
Channel Master 120cm offset + Black Ultra LNB (Ku-band): 42°E-37,5°W - 100cm SAB draaibaar: 45.1°E-60°E - 80cm vast: 28.2°E/23.5°E/19.2°E/13°E
DVB-T2 en DAB via een combi VHF/UHF-antenne op zolder gericht op Schoten.

Re: End of Life annoucement #26 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,797 posts

+83
Good

Posted 19 April 2020 - 18:19

You would have to know what is meant by version 8?
In addition, which OE core should then be worked on.

sumo?

Thud?

Warrior?

In principle, the images of the Xtrend boxes are all flawless to build from every conceivable OE core.
Building a VU + image, on the other hand, looks very different because of the closed source stuff.

But they will continue to be supported?
So it's more a question of what you still feel like doing.

Re: End of Life annoucement #27 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,229 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 19 April 2020 - 18:27

Zeus!

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: End of Life annoucement #28 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,519 posts

+1,734
Excellent

Posted 19 April 2020 - 18:31

There are two different issues:

1. hardware that is no longer capable of running the image, due to the limited flash size
  2. hardware for which BSP updates are needed to get the image running again

This first one is a hard limit, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. We are not going to make different (stripped) images to address this.

The second one requires support from the manufacturer.

Unlike some other images, we require the manufacturer the maintain the BSP, both because we're not in the business of increasing the profit of the manufacturer, and they are the only party that know the ins- and outs of both hardware and drivers.

You could argue that BSP adaptations for OE updates could be done, but we don't have people with the time, the skills and the will to take this on.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: End of Life annoucement #29 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,797 posts

+83
Good

Posted 19 April 2020 - 18:49

You cannot accuse a manufacturer like Xtrend of profit addiction.
Rather the other way around and that's why they are now broke.
They did a lot for e2 and have been committed for a long time.
In principle, always provided excellent drivers.
However, the Sec-Board story was uncomfortable.
Keeping the image of such former manufacturers running is somehow a question of style.
At VU + I can't see a good style on the part of the manufacturer.
Dreambox not at all.
But maybe I just see it as 'human'.
An image construction is certainly also possible separately for everyone who deals a little with the construction.

If it gets zeus ...
Let's see what comes.
greetings

Re: End of Life annoucement #30 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,519 posts

+1,734
Excellent

Posted 19 April 2020 - 18:56

For my second point it doesn't really matter (from our point of view) whether the manufacturer doesn't want to update the BSP anymore (for example because the box is EOL and no longer generates a profit) or can't (because like Xtrend they no longer exist).

Either way, if the image no longer builds, it is end of story.

Re: End of Life annoucement #31 rantanplan

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,797 posts

+83
Good

Posted 19 April 2020 - 19:16

Building an image is always possible, that's for sure.
Except for example at VU + because you then lack the sources that you have locally.
Then the normal user has to trick a bit and unfortunately get by without the source.
But I totally understand the side of you.
Was it indicated that the layer could also be maintained by other users?
This is not uninteresting and would be new.
Then some layers would definitely be added and you would have more to do with the e2.

But as I said...
Wait and be fine
greetings

Re: End of Life annoucement #32 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,519 posts

+1,734
Excellent

Posted 19 April 2020 - 20:14

Building an image is always possible, that's for sure

Not really, most of the BSP's need modifications to make them compile in Zeus.

Was it indicated that the layer could also be maintained by other users?
This is not uninteresting and would be new.
Then some layers would definitely be added and you would have more to do with the e2.

It is something we might want to consider, (end)users should not be punished because the manufacturer of their STB can't or won't maintain it anymore.

Obviously, there still won't be any manufacturer support for drivers and other manufacturer supplied files (USB devices, HbbTV binaries, etc), so like other EoL images we build, they would come with a limited guarantee...

Re: End of Life annoucement #33 boki15

• 145 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 24 April 2020 - 03:13

However, the Sec-Board story was uncomfortable.

I remember hyping this discussion for ET4000, in fact, Xtrend resolved the issue with sec-board for ET4000 if I remember well. I know a lot people using et4000 with openpli and they still use it, provides still good picture. OpenPli provided also updated images for obsolete images in past if time for that was found, like christmas. I update those et's from time to time, it's not best device for streaming, but hey, even dm500s with broken lan and openpli will stream all non HD channels which  are still majority of all available worldwide and they work with old Pli Images too. People should not be scared as long as downloads for older images exist.

Re: End of Life annoucement #34 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 1 May 2020 - 11:43

It this still a thing?

I've been offline for quite a while due to poor health, but things seem to be on the up again, and I wouldn't mind picking this up, providing the community is willing to bail this old sod out every now and then, and chip in when needed.

Re: End of Life annoucement #35 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2020 - 11:52

This is definitely still a thing. We need to have patched BSP's for the next major release (8.0) so it would really help.

In the past some people have been very helpful for specific BSP adjustmens that need some level of insight, so I guess (and hope) that will continue  :)

Edited by Erik Slagter, 2 May 2020 - 16:32.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: End of Life annoucement #36 neo

• PLi® Contributor
  • 712 posts

+44
Good

Posted 1 May 2020 - 13:46

Ok, cool.

How do we progress? I see the meta submodules in openpli-oe-core point to repositories of several github users (vendors? maintainers?), and I see a lot of meta-.... repositories under OpenPLi.

Do I use those? Do I setup something else? Which ones do I setup? Who needs which rights where?

Re: End of Life annoucement #37 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,519 posts

+1,734
Excellent

Posted 2 May 2020 - 23:59

Maybe up front a recap of what is needed, to avoid any misunderstanding:

The issue at hand is the lack of maintenance on BSPs from vendors that are out of business, or contain only end-of-life hardware that the vendor isn't intrested in maintaining anymore. For both groups of hardware, we would like to continue building OpenPLi for as long as technically possible, without compromises, for the users that have this hardware and would like to continue using OpenPLi.

For hardware newly introduced (to OpenPLi), we still require direct vendor maintenance and vendor support, so we explicitly are not looking to increase the number of BSPs or support additional hardware this way.

As to your questions, my personal 2ct's:

The meta repo's in the OpenPLi organisation are used by us for development of the next major release, as a place to store WIP in BSPs (we can't use branches, as we have no access to vendor BSPs). We would like to keep those separate from the BSPs we build from.

So it is probably the best to create a separate github account for it.

As for its name and description, for me it is ok to show these repo's are meant to be used by OpenPLi, but it must be clear we (as the OpenPLi team) don't maintain them, it is a community effort. So don't call it OpenPLi-BSPs or so... ;)

Note that individual OpenPLi team members, on personal title, are also community members, so obviously they can send in PR's too...

Ideally we would you to keep an eye on githubs notifications and check for new PRs. When new ones come in, validate them before you merge them, as errors will cause the develop builds to crash. If possible, do this daily or every other day, so developers don't have to wait for required changes too long... :) And obviously, use your own skills for maintenance and reported issues, if possible.

I personally don't need rights, I prefer sending in PRs, if only because 4 eyes see more than 2.

BSPs that need a new home: meta-dream, meta-gi, meta-miraclebox, meta-sab, meta-spycat, meta-xpeedc and meta-xtrend.

Anyone else wants to toss their cents on the table?

Edited by WanWizard, 3 May 2020 - 00:05.
added bsp list

Re: End of Life annoucement #38 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2020 - 11:29

+1  :)

Completely agree.

Neo, are you up for it?  :)

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: End of Life annoucement #39 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,519 posts

+1,734
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2020 - 12:04

Can we stay on topic here please? The OE branch used is not relevant to the issue at hand.

Re: End of Life annoucement #40 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27,388 posts

+393
Excellent

Posted 3 May 2020 - 13:49

I have hidden the three replies that are off topic. 

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users