Mount USB

DM800

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Golfe

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:10

Installed the new Jade today but cant mount my USB stick anymore. Have a Kingston 2Gb for picons. Has been working on all other Pli images including Jade 1. Anyone have a suggestion?

PS. I have tried another USB stick as well, but with no luck. I can find it under harddisks but are not able to initialize the stick. message is "Mount failed" Never had this problem with PLi before.

Re: Mount USB #2 Roodkapke

• 5,782 posts

+29
Good

Posted 30 December 2008 - 16:02

Well, it is mounted, but as read-only.

You'll need to change 'fstab' in /etc.
It should look something like this..

rootfs / auto defaults 1 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
/dev/mtdblock/2 /boot jffs2 ro 0 0
tmpfs /var tmpfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0
/dev/discs/disc1/part1 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0

If it's not working, please try some other /dev/discs/..... for usb.

Remember to reboot after changing fstab.

Re: Mount USB #3 Golfe

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 December 2008 - 16:59

The last line in my fstab was missing so I copied it from your example (/dev/discs/disc1/part1 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0) and then my usb stick worked. (after a restart, of course)
But is this a small bug? Isn't this line supposed to be there for usb sticks to work?
Anyway, thank you for your help!

Re: Mount USB #4 Roodkapke

• 5,782 posts

+29
Good

Posted 30 December 2008 - 17:24

Nope, it's not a bug.
It's by design from DMM.
In PLi Jade we used a different system, but we decided to return to the original system used by DMM.
We hope in time DMM will change this behavior and will mount it RW instead of RO.
The same will happen on a 8000 in fact.
And with 6 possible devices, RW is a must.

But glad to read you managed to get it working.

Re: Mount USB #5 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 30 December 2008 - 17:34

it's easy to mount rw using autofs, but that's not how things were intended. A usbstick is seen as a hotplug media device, which you use to playback mp3's or pictures.
In order to allow you to remove the stick whenever you want, the device should be mounted readonly (or else you'd risk corrupting the stick, and losing all your data).
But if you want to use the stick as a system device instead of a hotplug device, you have to make the change in fstab, like you did.

Re: Mount USB #6 Golfe

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 30 December 2008 - 17:47

Well, i have learned a few things today, and that is good. I don't have good knowledge about linux, so it is great to get help this way.

Re: Mount USB #7 updatelee

• 631 posts

Neutral

Posted 20 January 2009 - 18:55

Ive got a 500gb usb drive that sits on the desk with the dm800, its allways pluged in. so im not planning on using it as a hotplug device, Id like it to be mounted rw. I edited /etc/fstab and it does get mounted as rw on bootup, but eventually it gets remounted as ro. why I dont know. lol.

is there another file somewhere that also stores this parm ?
DM500, DM7000, DM800 Fortec Mercury II, sg2100, winegard 39", invacom qph-031 Toshiba TRX-2220 ku-linear

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM800

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users